Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford F4 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Hivolt5.0, Nov 8, 2011.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding Sir.Wishing you the best at future shows.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  2. Charles Sifers

Charles Sifers

That is a beautiful thing. You did a great job. Congrats on the awards.

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

That came out really nice!

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  4. X2 - well done!

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OahuEli, 55Deso, JUNK ROD and 3 others like this.
  6. Full circle, from thrown away derelict to the showroom condition.:cool:

7. Yep, pretty crazy how far it came.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Three great photos.

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  9. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

It sure has been fun to follow your build, thanks for letting us all tag along. Congrats man, turned out so nice!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  10. Two things: I hope you and your family escaped the worst of Hurricane Michael; What's next for you to build?

Johnboy34 likes this.
  11. Thank you for checking on me Osage. Yes, we fared very well during Hurricane Michael. We had rain and wind gusts but being roughly 60 miles west of Panama City, FL, didn't have near the catastrophic conditions they endured. In the picture below, look for the blue dot just North West of the eye, that's where I'm located. We've all been counting our blessings while gathering supplies to send to those in need.

IMG_5855.jpg

As for what's next, currently I'm restoring a go-cart for the kids. I have it stripped down getting rid of the rust and then I'll paint it, get some new tires and throttle cable and put it back together. After that, I need to build the stake sides for the F-4, install A/C on a friend's '50 F-1 and then probably start on my '57 Ranchero.

I've entered the F-4 in a couple more local shows and have enjoyed talking with people about it.

The truck earned a Top 20 in the Healing Paws for Warriors show. The proceeds of the show went to help provide dogs to soldiers who have PTSD. It was an honor to support that charity.
    IMG_5804.jpg IMG_5808.JPG

Last weekend the truck earned 1st in class and best engine at a show that was supporting a local High School.
    IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_1821.JPG

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Great trophies as credit for your work.

13. Thanks HOTFR8!

HOTFR8 likes this.
  14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Glad to see you missed by the worst, prayers to all those families that were not so fortunate. Congrats on the recognition for all your hard work on the 48, it looks great!

15. Thank you Johnboy. The one positive thing about tragedies, is seeing communities come together (no race, no politics) to help each other out. It's amazing and humbling to see the volunteers coming to help those in need and what a blessing it is to help others.

God bless all you out there in HAMB land!

brEad and Johnboy34 like this.
  16. Was activated by the WV National Guard when Katrina hit and was in New Orleans, we stayed at Belle Chase NAS. What a mess they are still recovering from. Glad that you and yours are OK.

17. I'm relieved to see you were spared the worst of Michael. As to the awards for your work, well, of course. You continue to be an inspiration, as a builder and as a person. Now about that Ranchero . . . Sounds like fun!

oldscout likes this.
  18. Well, it's been a year since the F4 was "finished". We all know these vehicles are never done as there's always something to work on. I chased a bad idle for a while and finally got that resolved. It appears it was vacuum related. I had both the brake booster and PCV valve connected to a port on the back of the intake and I believe it was causing the back cylinders to run a bit lean. I've since plugged up the port on the back of the intake and moved the brake booster and PCV valve vacuum lines to the base of the carb.

I'd like to flush the transmission fluid to see if that helps with the shifting. Seeing that the trans sat for many years I think it'd be good to give it a good flush.

There's a squeak when the engine runs. It's definitely pulley related but I'm having a hard time figuring out which one. I've used a stethoscope and still can't narrow it down. I'm hoping it's the idler pulley for the AC. That'd be the easiest to replace, which means it probably isn't that one. :-|

Recently the brake lights stopped working. I replaced the brake light switch but that didn't fix the problem. The tail lights work, the turn signals work as well as the flashers. Using a voltmeter, it appears power isn't getting to the brake light switch. Of course, in my goal to keep the wiring nice and neat, the brake light wiring is just out of reach behind all manor of frame, brake booster, pedal assembly, etc.

I also nicked the fender with the spray nozzle while I washing it. That was frustrating.

I've taken the F4 to a couple of shows this year and it's always funny to watch people looking at the truck. Everyone is always careful not to touch the truck, but when they get to the bed, almost everyone rubs their hand across the wood. It's just funny.

At this last show I was completely blown away. First off, I like the shows to talk with the people. Most everyone has a neat story from their past to share and I enjoy talking with them. I don't enter the shows for awards/trophies but they are a neat bonus. Anyway, the F4 (Fred) ended up being awarded Judges choice for best Ford, 1st in class and Best of Show for pre 1978 vehicles!

Anyway, sorry for the wordy post. I wish you all the best!

IMG_7090.JPG

IMG_7091.JPG

Took a few beach shots after the show.
    IMG_7093.JPG IMG_7094.JPG IMG_7095.JPG IMG_7097.JPG
    And back to the shed to await the next outing.
    IMG_7098.JPG

FoMoCoMoFo, brEad, LOST ANGEL and 7 others like this.
  19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Dave,
    Its good to see you still work on it. I was thinking of this truck recently and knowing its knocking down some miles is cool. Congrats on the trophies too!
    As for stories, I know what you mean. When I was doing generator field service some of the stories I heard from the oldtimers were real interesting if not a bit hair raising. :eek::D
    Eli

20. Perhaps you should write a book highlighting your exploits and those stories! Some people have some amazing, if not crazy, stories to tell. One of the things my sister and I enjoyed growing up was listening to our Granddad tell stories of his childhood and WWII.

21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Congrats! You did a great job on the "Old Ford" and its nice to see you get rewarded! Nice catch on the vacuum source. Thanks for sharing an update, little bumps and such are badges of glory for driving it!

brEad likes this.
  22. "Badges of glory for driving it" I like that. :) The fun of having a classic vehicle is driving it.

aw1950, Johnboy34 and Bigcheese327 like this.
  23. Thanks for the update. It is an inspiration for me to see a dualie done exquisitely.

warhorseracing likes this.
  24. I'm not sure about the "exquisite" part, but i do appreciate the encouragement. Thank you.