Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Did You Ever Drop Something?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Have you ever dropped something on the floor and spend hours looking for it? Well today I started taking the Torque Tube out of my coupe to redo the driveshaft (that's another story).:rolleyes: Anyway the snap ring holding the speedo gear in place pops off and I hear it hit the ground. I spent the next hour and a half trying to find it. The good news, I cleaned all the dirt and spiderwebs from every corner of the garage. The bad news, I did not find it.:mad: I would probably still be out there if my wife had not called me for dinner. I know it costs a buck, but that is not the point.o_O Do You Know What I Mean.
    WTF, I need to know where it is!:confused::mad::(

Thor1, raven, LOU WELLS and 15 others like this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

If you had cuffs on your pants look there, happened to me and found it when I when in for the nite!
    I once spent hours lookin for the pencil behind my ear!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Thor1, LOU WELLS, LAROKE and 6 others like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Got a horse shoe magnet???? Keep trying!!!! ;)

4. I hear you Mark, that snap ring is probably spring steel and could be anywhere, look on top of things that are in the floor.

Drag a magnet around the floor. HRP

LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Already did both those things!:oops: There is always tomorrow.;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have dropped small parts on the floor that end up in the entire opposite side of shop, or outside - hear that guys with the hi-tech decorative epoxy floors with color flakes embedded have added another level of the impossible to find the part world - have dropped a small part while working at work bench that ended up on intake manifold in car with open hood - worst is when a part drops and you do not hear it hit floor - ended up somewhere along frame or in suspension - why when I can not find the part and go buy a replacement always buy a couple extras, same with bolts

7. squirrel

squirrel

Nope, I've never dropped anything. Ever. Been tinkering with cars for 40 years or so, never once.

LOU WELLS, RICH B, mohead1 and 5 others like this.
  8. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Best way to find it is to buy a new one the old one will magically appear .

9. Blu 67

Blu 67

check the laundry machine.
    after the wash cycle

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

And, if you do drop something, it will always land in the center of the car just out of reach!

LOU WELLS, mohead1, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  11. Try moving house in 10 years. It worked for me.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. Close, it was bothering me and I was thinking that when it hit the floor I heard it bounce twice then the third time was not as loud. I just went out to garage and looked in a laundry basket I put work clothes in and towels etc.. I did look in it before but did not remove the towels that were in it. There it was, now I can sleep tonight. I think it was HRP saying it could bounce high that got me thinking. Thanks All.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

shine a flashlight across the floor. *Across*

loudbang, Hollywood-East and clem like this.
  14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I dropped a mr gasket valve cover bolt wing about 6 months ago and it's somewhere in the engine bay crammed into a crack or in a hole somewhere. I'll probably never see it again.

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Old Murphy and I go way back .:oops:

slayer likes this.
  16. I’ve actually purposely dropped another of what I dropped the first time and hoped it would land in the same spot! Still looking!

17. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I've found that a section of carpet under where you're working can keep some of those parts from rolling or bouncing too far.

clem likes this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Arthritis has moved in , with heavy force . Years of manual labor , and doing stupid stuff like riding a scooter in the 20s for years , have taken its toll . Hell I can’t hear thunder or feel the heat of hell in my hands anymore . Old guys told me many many times you better slow down , and take care or yourself you will pay later in life . My thinkin was Later ain’t here so get the hell out of the way , I’ll do . I drop everything I touch at least three times before I get to work on it . It’s tuff using the Urinal at the Ball Park anymore !

Hnstray, Bandit Billy and catdad49 like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I dropped a hint to my wife about a little something something.
    Does that count?

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I dropped a 15 pound steel bracket down 3 floors of an elevator shaft once. we found it pretty quick though.

21. Try having a shop with a gravel floor.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

23. I had a boss once that taught me to look at the floor when something dropped, it helps. The trick is to focus on the floor, with your eyes already focused at that distance, you will see which way the piece bounces and that will cut down the area you have to search.
    BTW, I still loose most of the shit I drop!

ct1932ford and catdad49 like this.
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I could lose an anvil. Right now I'm missing a brake caliper, a 1-1/4" socket and a cordless drill.

25. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

My cousin has a forensics lab and explained to me how he works with paint transfer evidence. He shaves a paint chip with a razor knife and looks at the layers under the microscope. I ask how he keeps from losing evidence. I said I routinely drop 3/8 bolt and tear the shop apart looking for it.

26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done it a lot! Had a broken bulb in the fog lights on the hot rod and removed the bezel and dropped the screw that holds it in place. Looked everywhere couldn't find the darn thing anywhere. Got so pissed I shut the shop down and went in for the night. Was in the garage the next day telling the wife I had dropped the screw and couldn't find it anywhere and she bends over and picks one up and says "Is it this one?" I swear I had looked everywhere! :D She claims men can't see anything below their peckers anyway!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Hnstray, 49ratfink, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  27. I drop lots of hardware, most is pretty new and easy to spot. Roll the car back... nothing on the driveway. But give it a few days or more... it shows up on the driveway. Must get hung up on the chassis or cross member... or aliens bring it back.

28. I usually just fire up the shopvac and start vacuuming the floor then I check the shopvac for it. Obviously that only works for small parts like nuts and bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happens alot with me! Look everywhere then call my wife to help-she usually finds it right away.

TagMan likes this.
  30. Glad you found it Mark, believe me I know how a simple thing and cause a sleepless night. HRP