Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Good Guys @ York next August???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Rumors are flying indicating that the Good Guys organization may schedule an event in York, Pa. next August. Has anyone else seen or heard anything about this or is it just wishful thinking on my part?:)

2. Interesting..............

3. mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

To compete with the NSRA Nats held in August?

5. ............If the rumor is true, and I can't seem to verify it, such an event, if held at the York Fairgrounds like the NSRA show in June, could have a negative impact on an already deteriorating NSRA Nats East.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Almost all NSRA and Goodguys event attendance seems to be trending downward. The NSRA Nats South in Knoxville used to be well attended and is now a shell of what it once was. Goodguys shot themselves in the head by eliminating drag racing and allowing cars up to and including 2018 models into their events. They don't even go to Indianapolis, IN anymore after having huge crowds attending the drag racing at Raceway Park. The recent GG event at the Kentucky Horse Park which is a great venue had only about 1000 cars. The NSRA Nats in Louisville however seems to be holding at around 10,000 cars which they should exceed next year as its their 50th anniversary. Events such as the NHRA Hot Rod Reuion and other nostalgia drag racing events continue to increase in attendance and enthusiasm. Don't know about y'all, but lawn chair events just don't do it for me anymore. Next year I'm going to the Pontiac Nats in August and really looking forward to it. May even run my Poncho on the track.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  7. So, maybe I just dreamed this stuff!:confused:........Anyone else hear this rumor?

lothianwilly71, mad mikey and Dino 64 like this.
  8. Very interesting. Thanks for that link..........Don.

lothianwilly71 and mad mikey like this.
  9. .............Looks like it may be 2 weeks after the NSRA event in Louisville.

lothianwilly71, Dino 64 and mad mikey like this.
  10. dan31

dan31

Good deal, I'll be there.

Dino 64, mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Graystoke

Graystoke

According to my friends who are on Facebook ( I am not ) the NSRA will return to allow RVs to camp on the fairgrounds again at York. When they stopped camping a long time ago, the attendance at York declined about 2000 cars the next year. My guess is that the Goodguys will be lucky to get 2000 cars, because most of their shows don't come near that number.

Gman0046 likes this.
  12. .....................Interesting.

lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Years back I was told by a GG’s official the main reason they left Indy was the venders concerns about security and possible weather problems as the exhibits were in tents.
    Whether this is true or not there’s no way of knowing unless a rep from GG’s would set the record straight. It’s also been suggested that the bottom line at their events is the gate and not so much the count of cars in attendance. With the Sunday only ticket one can bring in any American made car I believe, basically primo parking to enter the event on the last,short day.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I am not a big fan of GG's events but attend the Texas Motor Speedway Lone Star event because a group of friends like it and I enjoy their company. The weather can effect the event [March and October] and that effects the number of cars but it is still more than I can look at. What always floors me is the number of paying spectators pouring thru the gates even in lousy weather. That said, I can't recall an event with cars/hot rods that I disliked totally.

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  15. I guess I will have to join GG again. I was a member when they tried hershey for a few years. I would go to york in august. If the let camping on fair grounds back for the NSRA show, that would be great. I have had some fantastic times at york when the camping was allowed.

16. dan31

dan31

Never been at York while there was camping allowed but did hear a lot of guys say how much more fun it was. If they allow us to camp there I got to think the attendance would jump back up some.

17. Possible camping event.
    HAMB camp!

18. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

I really have no excuse not to go, considering it's only like 6 miles from my front door.

19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

It is no rumor just go on GG web site. Rhinebeck is no longer which is a big blow to me. 263 miles as opposed to 3 miles I guess I'll be staying home.

Pat

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I would rather drive the 250 to Ft Worth than drive three miles.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. dan31

dan31

Went to Rhinebeck a couple of times,nice show, but it seemed to rain a lot and I think what really hurt it was that the local hotel/motels where killing guys on pricing. I heard $650 for the weekend? for a place that was normally half that. We camped right in the adjacent lot so it didn't bother us ,always had a good time.

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  22. It sucks to learn GG is leaving Rhinebeck. It's a beautiful fairground and the ride out is fun. Not too warm 'n fuzzy about traveling to York instead. 3 hour drive vs. a 7.5 hour drive with shit scenery.

23. We did not call it Rainbeck for nothing. Nice place , crappy weather most years.

lothiandon1940 and dan31 like this.
  24. 42merc

42merc

AMEN !!
    Driving is better than riding a lawn chair.

mad mikey, Paul B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

Aug 16-18 2019

mad mikey likes this.