Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Its alive! AV8 Roadster engine start up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by walter, Apr 2, 2014.

1. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

2. walter

walter

It’s a distressed leather. I found three hides at an antique shop. I got a great deal and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Beautiful car, such a great job building it.

4. Vanness

Vanness

Amazing. Love how the interior and top
    All came together. Very very nice.

5. wizzard23

wizzard23

Very cool, hope to see you this summer.

6. walter

walter

Planning on Salina. Hope to meet up with you also. Changing the springing the rear so hopefully it will ride better. Pretty tough on an old guy the way it is!

7. Very nice build...Hope to see ya in Salina this year.

8. walter

walter

Same here. I read your posts but haven’t run into you. I’m an old Nebraska boy and use to run around your area.

9. cederholm

cederholm

Very cool! Congrats!

~ Carl

walter likes this.
  10. wizzard23

wizzard23

We will be in Salina, see ya there if not sooner.

walter likes this.
  11. mikebishop37

mikebishop37

Outstanding build, Walter! Rear spring "tuning" was the toughest problem to solve on mine; after eliminating, trimming, and lubing leaves, a couple of 50-pound shot bags in the trunk, just ahead of the rear crossmember, helped big time.

All the best with your stunning, classic AV8 roadster. If you ever make it to NorCal I'd love a ride!

Mike Bishop

12. walter

walter

Mike it's great to hear from you! The efforts that you put into your book was instrumental in the Ferris Flyers creation. Everything in it was good reference material. I have several pictures of the little blue roadster on the wall in my shop. A trip to NorCal is not out of the question next year. I would really like to do a photo shoot with both roadsters. I am pretty close to getting the springs correct. I started to soft and it kept settling until the shackles bottomed out on the backing plates. I am adding two of the longer leaves and I think that will do the trick. Thanks for the kind words!
    Walter

13. mikebishop37

mikebishop37

A two-car shoot isn't out of the question; while I no longer own the blue roadster it's accessible. I could probably talk Mike Chase into shooting them in his studio -- huge cove that will accommodate both cars. Mike is good friend and did a complete shoot of the roadster in his current studio. A shot from that session . . .
    [​IMG]

Adding a longer leaf or two could do the trick, or you could shorten the current main leaf. Keep in touch.

Mike

waxhead likes this.
  14. walter

walter

I will keep in touch. I was planning on the Grand National Roadster show but also Thinking about Sacramento Show. I will let you know as it closer to fall.
    Walter

15. walter

walter

I added a leaf next to the main and then added a leaf in the middle of the bundle. I also found a bad shock on the right rear. The little car rides great and drives better. Mission accomplished..

16. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Walter, how many leaves are you using now?

17. walter

walter

I have seven leaves. It appears its going to work well. Previously the car was twitchy but now its very stable.

18. walter

walter

Met up with a great group of guys today for a monthly get together. Great day for the back roads of Kansa. Perfect day for a roadster! About 20 H.A.M.B. friendly Hot Rods. Rolled over 1,000 miles today with no issues.

19. walter

walter

20. 1,000 miles in one day, in a hot rod? That’s some major league cruising, right there.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. walter

walter

I better clarify! 1000 miles on the roadster! About an 80 mile day! I am certainly not tough enough for a 1000 mile day.

slv63 likes this.