Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What is going on with old car prices!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Easy to go fast with modern EFI and tuning. Have several customers with 5-8k in 9 sec cars. Easy buy fox body mustang for 2k stock 5.3L for $300-$500. Chinese turbo for under 2k and a 4L80E for $300.00 drop it in and have an easy 9 sec ride.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. +1

3. Could someone please PM me when there's clear evidence of old/vintage* car prices having hit the rock bottom ?
    I'd still like to obtain a few lifelong dreams that have been out of reach for most of it.
    Maybe I get lucky ?

*Values of kit, recreation, replica, etc or original cars with new/replica bodies, frames and/or mostly modern running gear or suspension conversions are not relevant, even if free. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    pigfluxer and Squablow like this.
  4. "Your mother goes to college!"
    Kipling Ronald Dynamite

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...45e30b92b3f68864e747561376021a10&action=click

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. I didn't read all replies, but another thing about the values of Customized/Highly Modified/Hot Rodded cars is that they usually are very personalized (wet-)dreams(?) of the the builder/owner, therefor can't/shouldn't be compared to stock configuration of same or similar make/model.
    In most cases, no matter how many "atta-boy"s or "thumbs up" it may receive at social events/media, not only does customizing/highly modifying/hot rodding almost any car narrows the field of its prospective (future) buyers to 10% or less, but therefor/usually also devalues it to (often way) less than 50% compared to similar make/model restored to "stock configuration", regardless of time or money spent to create it.

41rodderz and olscrounger like this.
  6. seen a highly modified cuda that brought 400K+ thats 300%+ more than its non-modified version
    still a lot less than the build price
    restored is boring anyway
    this is why we cut em
    seen a lot of hot rodded 32s bring more than boring stock

7. Deere boy

Deere boy

Interesting discussion. I primarily follow the collector tractor market and it is pretty much the same thing. Back 20 years ago, every old farmer was pulling an old tractor out of the fencerow, getting it running, painting it with a spray can and looking for their next project. Many of these guys died off and their tractors hit the market and prices plummeted. Changing demographics is another problem with there being less farmers all the time.
    While there are still collectors for the early stuff from the 1920s through 50s, the big change has been in the guys who collect "muscle tractors". Yes, we call the tractors from the 60s and 70s muscle tractors. Many of them bring in the high five and low six figures, which is maybe not that bad when you consider the cost of tractor parts, and the amount of details in the restoration. A lot of five figure paint jobs on these tractors.
    That's all I got.

dan31 and F&J like this.
  8. F&J

F&J

You brought up a good point with the vintage tractor prices crashing. Just exactly like "performance cars" that are hand built as hotrods, the older people been there, done that, and buy a new Challenger, etc.

I saw the common collector tractors taking the hit about the same time Kubota made it so easy to put a down payment on one with a bucket, and the " busy or stressed life'' guy now has a dependable one to use in the back lot. No more fighting to keep the old one running when you want to go do something quick.

Engine man likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Seems to me that you need a Tudor! :D

ct1932ford likes this.
  10. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Wait a minute.......
    are we talking about old car prices? LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

anthony myrick likes this.
  11. :rolleyes:

I enjoy 'em all (i.e. vintage cars), as long as they're done right, fully usable/drivable & driven "as intended".
    OTOH, too many vintage car modifications I've seen often seem to stem simply from builders/owners inability to restore it correctly and many masquerade that with "Oh, I just wanted to make it to my liking" (and then later wonder why it's so difficult to sell). o_O

Besides, if one prefers to "cut" it just to make it personalized & non-boring, why do so many try/want to sell it soon after or often before finishing it ? :confused: Doesn't sound like real car guys to me.

I've always said that regardless of approach or intentions to any build/restoration/etc., backyards/-fields, driveways & garages, not only America, but the entire planet is littered with umpteen million unfinished projects that will end up just scrap metal.
    And that's a reality one can bank on.

Chili Phil and olscrounger like this.
  12. Besides, if one prefers to "cut" it just to make it personalized & non-boring, why do so many try/want to sell it soon after or often before finishing it ? :confused: Doesn't sound like real car guys to me.
    .[/QUOTE]

never worried about selling, cant talk for others
    customizing = entertainment
    its done for fun and thats 100% real car guyish just like the ones that resto for fun
    all the cars I have customized professionally are worth more that way over stock
    my personal ride is heavlily cut and worth much more than stock, its was worth 20 cents a pound in stock form and have been offered $1.45 per pound recently. not bad for 7k+ pounds

olscrounger likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I just checked with a buddy of mine in the classic and collectible car business. It's what he does for a living, even runs ads on the radio for cars and I bet some of you local guys have heard his spots. He says the market is healthy. I think some of you just want to worry about something you can't control.

Gman0046, HuskerNation, egads and 2 others like this.
  14. My rides are priceless so I dont have to worry about their value.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said by many, depends on the car and the style. Have inquiries quite often about 40's for sale. No worries for me.

16. Hopefully not the scoundrel who (excessively) benefitted from a recent sale of a car I currently in my shop. :rolleyes:
    While the car is quite rare (less than 700 made over 60 years ago with likely way less than 100 existing today), I think the "sale prep"(and the sale) of this poor car is border lining criminal and if I could have my way, each and every finger involved with it should be "cut" from the hands of these perpetrators so they could never abuse another vintage car buyer/enthusiast again. :mad:

+ 1

17. Older guys already have what they want, the new guys want something different than what's available for sale. Market is slow and low, time to score if you're inclined.

Chili Phil, 47ragtop and TTR like this.
  18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

No doubt there are a lot of cars that seem to be on the market forever. They don’t sell because the price is too high or they are some strange combination of features. For example is a ‘34 Ford 5 window which was for sale locally for years. Not only do they want a premium price but it is painted pink! As noted, if it is very customised it gets harder to sell. I have never understood sellers that continue to try and sell, sometimes for years, but never lower the price. They all sell if the price is right.

19. Exactly. Demographics and trends are ever changing.
    For example, when I acquired/build my Roadster 30 years ago, it was mostly ridiculed by Hot -/Street Rod crowds, including any/all LARS members I encountered, etc.
    And just like back then, if today they rounded up 3 of their most admired/best/prolific member cars of all times, I wouldn't have any interest to trade mine to all 3.
    I could see having interest buying one if the price was right (for me), but trade... Hell No !

20. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I’ve seen a lot around me that are exactly as you described, over priced & they just sit for years never lowering the price to the appropriate amount.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

For those looking for a deal of a lifetime [or to fulfil a dream]
    Just remember this........ "Today is the youngest you will ever be"

Chili Phil and TTR like this.
  22. I feel quite fortunate to own or having owned several life long dream cars and the few I would still really like to have are pretty much out-of-reach for mere mortal working stiff like me, so I won't worry about that too much.
    Besides, I've had opportunities to get up-close and personal with some of them, not to mention gotten paid for some of those occasions.

23. That often/usually means they're not REALLY for sale. :rolleyes:

24. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I just read this entire thread-- very interesting and varied views. I have built over 30 body off cars ( did , not hired the work). Last year I bought a 40 Ford coupe finished except for the interior. Always bought junk and projects and brought them back to life. In 15 minutes my money was wire transferred and I didn't lift a finger "instant gratification." My 1st car was a 40 Ford and I plan to keep this car till I die or can't drive anymore. It was what I WANTED and I don't care it was , is, or will be worth. I have driven it 176 days this year and I plan on breaking my goal of 200 days easily. At 72 , I plan on enjoying MY car !! Later Bill

xsquiden, lurker mick, i.rant and 9 others like this.
  25. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

What Bill said, my Dad started me in the garage when I was 3 years old(hold the flashlight still boy). Like many others I tried other stuff but this is what's fun for me. Some day the wife and I would like to buy a 32 Roadster done turnkey and drive the crap out of it, but for now we will enjoy our chopped 51 Vickey and our rusty old 49 F1, the Vickey can be bought but not that rusty old truck. Living here in Williamsburg I can drive my junk 12 months a year most of the time. Yes I'm trying to sell my 50 coupe, don't see any buyers out there, don't care I'll just keep driving it to. Anyway I'd just piss the money away on car parts. Whoever said 70 is the new 50 better have not been lying as it only a few months away. Drive it and enjoy it.
    It's amazing the comments you get when they see a Custom.

47ragtop and F&J like this.
  26. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

The other issue with the whole hot rodding scene. Is there are too many too quick to judge what they didn't build, I'm guilty of this myself. The trends in this industry are ever changing, we are at the point now where I have not built a rod for someone without Heat/AC in 5 years. You don't get paid more for having it, but cut your potential buyers in half without it. I am really into Square Body Chevy Trucks moreso Burbs. Daily drive a 74 that is slammed, even through MN Winter. The point t is that people's tastes and wants differ vastly today vs even 5 years ago. We are doing 7 47-53 Chevy pickup frames for guys right now and 1 is SBC and even that had a 700R4 behind it, because if you can't comfortably drive something down the interstate at 80mph, what's the point of building it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

i.rant likes this.
  27. F&J

F&J

Many guys here drove the wheels off of every car they ever built... I never did "drive them enough" as I thought I liked just the planning/building part of the hobby.

I now do drive the one I finished in late 2016 as a daily, but again, did not drive it much at first :(

....BUT, as my old 1970 daily is now beyond repair, that was a blessing in disguise. I don't have the $ for another daily right now, so I had to drive the 32 full time...then I realized...at my age?...and hopefully beating some health stuff?....why the fuck not! The more I drive it, the more I "just HAD to drive that car". I did not get out yesterday as I was so far behind on pre-winter chores that I'd put off...because I was always out with that damn Ford!

Best year of my life so far. It sure does make you feel young again. At least I do..

yes, the people you meet with a daily Rod or Kustom...it is truly amazing. You miss so much of "real" life if you just build non-stop, trapped in the shop, and never drive them.

47ragtop, RMR&C and 40FORDPU like this.
  28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

A rather morbid hobby of mine is to read obituaries. It seems that a large percentage of people who went to college didn't go into a field that made use of that degree.

scotts52, Irish Mike, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  29. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread.
    Parts prices are getting/gotten crazy, I have at least 9 project cars, not started on yet and at 68 I'm thinking of selling them for what I can get for them.
    The last 2 hot rods I've sold after getting tired of them I didn't break even, maybe I spend too much money on stupid stuff like maybe a quick change rear might have brought the same money as a 9in?

30. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Inactivity is the biggest problem. I see this with "Wannabee Racers" sitting in the stands criticising some guy with what they consider a P.O.S
    Yet the racer is actually doing it.......and they are not!

The same with car building........even those with relatively good knowledge and tastes will build a car differently to what we perceive.
    This goes back to my original statement on this thread....When you buy a car ,you are actually buying "raw material" for your next project.

Unfortunately this hobby is very sociable [or Fortunately] , and the side effect of this is some form of conformity

Here is a Decal for those who want to print a copy off and attach to their vehicle.
    Approval.jpg