Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever bought a project thinking this will be easy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Yeah, it just needs a few things and as you get in a little deeper you realize it's not going to be easy peasy.

Sometimes the simple jobs just seem to take a lot longer than you anticipated. HRP

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ahahahahahahahaha! yes :(

nunattax, Nostrebor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I’m a master of convincing myself that projects will be easy...haven’t had an easy one yet!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. L7

L7

many times in life I find Murphy is an optimist. (murphy's law)o_O

5. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Every damn time. One day I'll finish one of my projects. Maybe...

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More often fixing screw ups by a PO who thought they were a car guy. Still go in with gear enthusiasm , then every time this wont take long . Darn i think each time it takes longer.
    Perhaps my rose coloured glassed get more rosey each time. Still see each one to the end what ever speed bumps we have though.

Timvmax1985 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. midroad

midroad

Only once. After that I knew they are all hard work.

8. Every.Damn.Time!!

I find the jobs you think will be easy end up taking forever and turn into nightmares.
    And the jobs you go into already anticipating the can of worms end up going smoothly.

That damn Murphy gets me every time !

rockable, bchctybob, Fern 54 and 3 others like this.
  9. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

If it was easy it wouldn't have been a project when you bought it . I figure the guy I bought it from was just smarter than me.

10. Easy?..never.
    I go into a project (currently have 3 going on) with the realization that it will require time, money, skills, and space.
    If I'm willing to invest the time, money, have the proper skills for the project, and have the space, then it's a go.
    I never expect them to be easy..just problems that will require efforts to resolve.

rockable and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Only when I am telling the better half I bought it. She does not fall for it though.

partsdawg, bchctybob, kbgreen and 2 others like this.
  12. Of course! If I dig a bit deeper it would seem I've started projects without thinking... too much at all!

kbgreen and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"EVER BOUGHT A PROJECT THINKING THIS WILL BE EASY?"

Every one of them. I guess I'm not all that sharp.

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

15. exterminator

exterminator

Yes everytime.Kick me the next time I buy one.:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I learned the hard way, even lost my but on one just to get it out my sight.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Everything to me looks easier then it turns out to be. If I think its going to take one hour it usually takes three.

Gary

olscrounger, Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Every time, I was always told figure out how long it would take and how much it will cost and then double it.

olscrounger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. The last car I got was not supposed to even be a "project'. Just a weekend or so and I would be driving it. That started in July I think. Still finding things wrong that make it not roadworthy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Now I don't feel like the Lone Ranger! :rolleyes: HRP

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I once read what purported to be 'the' formula for figuring out how long a task would take to finish.

"First estimate the time you think it will require, then advance that to the next larger unit of time, then double it"

It has proven to be pretty accurate....except for the continuous tendency to underestimate in the first step :cool:

rockable and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every damn time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many times! Have built many 40 Fords and know them pretty well BUT once in a while I get one that is a battle from start to finish-current one has fought me from the getgo. This one has been tough from the start. Usually install and fit rear fenders maybe an hour per side. This one took 3 hrs per side! Wife and I had them on and off at least 5-6 times per side-finally got them right. Rear windows-1st one took 10 minutes like usual-other one took us an hour! In and out about 5 times to get it just right. Lower front fenders/running boards didn't fit just right either but this is common with new boards-know the fix for this-no problem. Wife says "If it was easy, everyone would build one". Oh well-just part of the challenge I guess,

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Easy.....not as much as underestimating the investment of time.....

MMM1693 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"Cheap & Easy" - motto of most every car guy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My current project = 53 Coupe Deville. First guy completely disassembled the cad in 1982 , lost interest and sold the pieces in 1992 , second guy spent bookoo money having everything rebuilt , repainted and then bought a 4 Door for extra parts , then spent 19 years while he attempted to reassemble the car , he lost interest in 2011 , so I traded him a finished 41 Chevy Special Deluxe Coupe for the Cad , and boxes of parts from 2 cars .I have fumbled around and cussed at it and walked away , and waited awhile to start again ,had to Re-Do almost everything as it was done out of order , had the dash apart so many times , I should have put a zipper on it , the guy who rebuilt the Hydramatic installed the Tailshaft housing seal backwards , the engine was rebuilt in 2001 , when I finally got it to the point of driving the car the rings were frozen in place , only had about 90 LBs. compression in 7 cylinders 125 in the other one , so I soaked the cylinders with B-P Blaster for a week
    and brought most cylinders up to 120 Lbs. so now I am ready to install the plugs a drive it to see how it feels. IMG_1075.JPG

Latigo, Tim, kbgreen and 4 others like this.
  27. ERguitar

ERguitar

So true. Thats why I always triple it. This formula applies to cost also.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  28. Bwahahahaha, I heard a very similar formula.

"Calculate the time you think it will take then multiply by 10 and you should be close." HRP

29. Never. But I blow the cost and time estimates, now I double them and it falls right in most of the time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

When I first started out in the remodeling business some 55 years ago a wise old timer told me to look at the job, estimate the job, then double the estimate and add 10 percent and that may make you some money.
    I use the same mentality when working on a project be it mine or someone else's. Nothing ever goes according to plan. Ralphie

bobss396 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.