Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why do these fans click and snap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Oct 13, 2018.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

7ECD3A62-9719-4EFB-8E8C-9536CD42B637.jpeg CA65CBB2-DD1F-409C-A8D6-CD8DF4DDF51D.jpeg I love this fan, its large and does a great job of cooling my sbc, but at low idle it clicks and snaps, which is super annoying.
    I tried another that is a 5 blade and same style, but it does the same thing!

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds to me like it might have a loose blade. I had that exact same fan on my 350 and it never made any strange noises. You might want to look at it closely before it loses a blade.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check real close for cracks too. I've had a couple crack on me. They do pull air though. Had on on my 71 GMC that would just about pull you though the radiator.

tractorguy likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Loose rivet?

ClayMart likes this.

5. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

If you are sure it is the fan making the noise please remove it and chop it up so no one else can use it. A very good friend was killed a few years ago by one of those when it came apart.

49ratfink and tractorguy like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

I'd buy a clutch fan....

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have AC? Those fans are flexible. The AC compressor on my SBC caused the idle speed to "lope". As it did, it sort of whipped the fan and made it hit something that was in the near vicinity on my old 54.

8. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

[​IMG]

I was lucky, came out the bottom with no damage or death. Check your fans carefully.

dana barlow and tractorguy like this.
  9. belair

belair

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Expansion and contraction within the laminated stiffener to blade/blades.

bobss396 likes this.
  11. I suppose you could try re-staking the rivets, but some of them are going to be hard to get at to support them properly. How long of a fan spacer are you using? Check that for cracks as well. Maybe the fan itself could be magnafluxed.

Maybe try running another fan blade just to make sure it's not the pulley or water pump making the noise.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. I always prefer to run a steel blade fan and this 17" fan from summit is what I have on the Deuce sedan & on the Ranch Wagon, no problems and they move a lot of air. HRP

[​IMG]

olscrounger likes this.
  13. finn

finn

I remember Ford having a recall on fans like that, probably thirty years ago. The blades let go and killed a few mechanics reving the engine with the hood open.

14. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Why would that fan come apart there? There isnt even a joint there?

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It probably had some slight damage at one point, or was maybe just plain defective from the factory. Maybe a tiny crack in the stiffening rib, and the cyclical flexing of the blade due to changes in RPM caused it to expand that crack until centrifugal force overcame the integrity of the uncracked portion. Id like to see a close-up side view of that break immediately after the blade separated. It would likely tell the story. But the photo is six and a half years old so that forensic evidence is probably no longer visible.

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^
    Vibration cracked ...

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd replace it ASAP before it causes some real damage.

18. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I just changed it to a 19” like the broken one pictured above.
    I didnt find anything visually wrong with the other two.
    They came off of 80’s chevy trucks, ive never heard others having problems with them.

19. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

After closer inspection it clearly started at one of the rivets, there was a small amount of rust in a section of the crack near the suspect rivet. None of them were loose though.

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Here you go. This thing let go at about 4000 rpm getting on the freeway. It made such a noise and of course vibration I thought my little flathead let go. I went back to get the piece and that’s all I have now.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Looks pretty jagged and would hurt if it hit you. Think I'll use non-trad plastic electrics afterall or a heavy steel shroud. Jack E/NJ

22. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I agree ^^^^^^^^
    Either a new mechanical fan or electric, no more old fans. I had just finished a tune up and was test driving it when it let go. 10 minutes prior I was right next to it with a timing light.

Adam

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I never stand in line with anything that spins like that... fans, cut off wheels, bench grinders etc. had a grinding wheel on my bench grinder explode on startup. put a nice dent in the wood paneling I had in the garage at the time.. could just as easily have been my face.

trollst likes this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

""I tried another that is a 5 blade and same style, but it does the same thing!""

if two fans make the same noise there is a good possibility it is not the fan at all.

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Were these pictures taken recently, or right after the fan broke? Parts of the break show rust on the crack, and other parts look shiny. It looks like the crack may have started right at a rivet hole.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Did I mention to buy a clutch fan????......

egads likes this.
  27. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

About an hour ago, 6 years after the break. Yes, it appeared to start at a rivet hole.

28. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

no room

29. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

the third non-flex is fine, no noise

30. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I had the same fan as "work in progress" had on my '65 impala, back in '72 (stock car) I was getting on to a highway, and I heard a load noise, and then a vibration. My fan had thrown a blade, and it stuck into the lower tank. I wiggled it out. The tank never leaked either. So it doesn't need to be a old one. Mine broke the same way.

Pat