Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Damn I need a heater......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Oct 13, 2018.

1. jazz1

jazz1

Absolutely need one. Can't clear ice/frost off windshield without one and I am not going to peer through a thumb size clearing in windshield.
    My truck has the original heater, never even had to have it flushed. Took truck out for a blast on the highway at -30 C to test and more than enough heat. I replaced the 6V heater motor with a stock 12V heater motor out of a 80's dodge van . 8459178166_d71ff58c17_z.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm definitely in favor of a heater. I bought a 40 project that was well on its way to Street Rod Hell. I removed the vintage air and replaced it with a 40 heater. I placed the heater in the original position but didn't want the hoses coming out in the middle of the firewall. I found that regular 1/2 copper house pipe can be soldered onto the original outlets and was able to move them to the spot I wanted on the firewall. The original heater had a 12v fan motor and was painted original colors. I did change the paint to match the dash and interior. IMG_2346.jpg IMG_2348.jpg IMG_3133.jpg Toasty warm and ready for winter driving.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Didn't go to breakfast this morning.... I'm not ready for the cold......:confused:
    In other words.....
    I ain't built for this shit!!!....:mad::rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. It's been unseasonably cold here for about 6 weeks now. Can't really run without a heater here except in an open car, it won't pass govt. safety without a defroster. There are a couple or three cars I know of that have somehow got by without though... A friend of mine has a Model A Roadster with a heater and heated seats and he says roadster season aint over yet.

We need it to quit snowing every third day though. I don't mind running in cold weather but ice and snow on the road leaves you at the mercy of not only the weather gods, but all the people that don't know how to drive in the winter. Next week is forecast to be warmer (above freezing) and sunny, so I got a couple of cars to put a few more miles on yet, windows down I hope. :cool:

F&J likes this.
  5. I have a stock heater in my 41 Ford pickup. When I restored the truck , I disassembled the heater , pressure check the core and cleaned everything up. Installed a 12 VDC motor and I can tell you that that heater you could cook on it at zero degrees F. Will run you out of the cab. Works great.
    Better than my new truck.
    Vic

wackdaddy, Deuces and F&J like this.
  6. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Mine in my 40 is a under dash combo A/C & Heater Unit by Cold Master. The whole unit works great!
    IMG_2503.JPG

rjones35, AHotRod, jazz1 and 2 others like this.
  7. gatz

gatz

I have a "vintage" Atlas 6v heater on eBay at the moment, but if it doesn't sell in a few days,
    I'm open to offers.
    In addition to the front outlet, it has a louvered opening on top for a defroster, and one on the bottom for toes.
    It may be a bit big for cramped spaces, tho'

Atlas 6v Heater Front View.JPG
    Atlas 6v Heater Dims_1.jpg

Another suggestion......... find an under-seat heater from a school bus.
    They are a nice compact size w multiple outlets.
    This is one I put in my garden tractor cab. Added the expanded metal grill.
    Heater Install_4.JPG

jazz1, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. I HAVE A PERFECT SOLUTION! ... for any old vehicle that's hard to heat, or has none at all.
    Instead of an old aftermarket box that hardly helps warm anything, or a good working factory heater that just can't keep up with all the cold air leaks-
    Around 1988 I got tired of being cold in the old Stude wheelbarrow ....
    I bought 2, 5$ heater cores out of the copper-pile at a local scrapyard, and caulked them in place at the floor-air intakes on my Stude pickup.
    No fans, no no more cold cab.
    ALL the cold air leaks around the windows and doors suddenly became air-exits as the warm gentle furnace breeze came thru the air vents to keep the cab very comfortable and warm on the coldest days.
    ANY forward movement created warm air. Stopping for stoplights or drive up windows didn't matter because you were still nice warm and comfy.
    Since 1988, I have NEVER been in ANY modern or old vehicle with such a nice, super quiet, extra comfy, heating arrangement.
    You can see in the pic, a mismatched heater core on either side of my radiator, covering the floor-air intake openings.
    It doesnt matter what scrap car donated each heater core.
    TWO 5$ CORES made the best heater I have ever had on ANY vehicle. It even circulates well enough to have never needed a defroster even in these northern winters as long as I made sure all ice was removed before driving.
    One of these days I plan to add a blower to direct some of the heat to the windshield for a defroster, but in all these years, so far I haven't felt the urgent need for it.

TWO FIVE DOLLAR HEATER CORES ARE ALL YOU NEED :)

Screenshot_20181014-145152.jpeg

18268_875678855828273_958911938778972113_n.jpeg

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Mtn Goat, Jet96, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  9. Such a cool (warm? :confused: ) idea.

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OLD SCHOOL------Put on more coats!

41rodderz, bobss396 and Deuces like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Another option is an electric motorcycle vest. Toasty warm. And I sometimes use mine with one of those pocket size lithium ion jump start battery packs when I don't have a 12v system. Good for about an hour and you can recharge it at the restaurant for the trip home. ;)

They have gloves too...

jazz1 and Deuces like this.
  12. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

There is a Harrison, H46 heater on Ebay, buy it now, $39.99, $16.50 shipping, seller, littlekingtraxx. He has good feed back, it's an old chevy heater.

14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Also, Old Air Products has all kind of a/c and heater parts for older cars and trucks, they have an ebay store. They have new small type heaters for hot rods, cheapest I think is around $90.

15. Mike Colemire mentioned Harrison brand heaters. Harrison was/is a subsidiary of GM. They make the radiators and heater cores for GM vehicles. Back in the day when most people bought one of the many universal aftermarket heaters, Harrison put Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, etc. name on the heaters sold through the new car dealers and sold essentially the same heaters with the Harrison name on them through the aftermarket. There were dozens of brands of those heaters. Some were just a heater core with a fan behind it, the nicer ones had both a fan for heat and a squirrel cage fan for defrost and provisions to connect defroster ducts. The ones with the car manufacturer's name on them were usually dealer installed (pre-WWII, most optional equipment was dealer installed). Most people bought one of the aftermarket units rather than buying from the car dealership.

16. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

that sucks. That was a cool looking heater.

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

The heater in my coupe puts out great heat, and does a great job at keeping the windshield clear. Now, if only I could seal up all the air leaks that are letting the cold air enter the car. Of all the air leaks, the one that comes up from behind the seat is the worst. I would really like to find the source of that one.

We left home for the St Louis Hot Rod 100 Friday morning at 35 degrees. It only made it up to the mid 40s. With the fan on high, it was tolerably. My hat is off to you roadster guys, I'm way too much of a wimp for that! Gene

18. Deuces

Deuces

My next car is gonna have heated everything!
    Why do you ask??? Because I'm getting to old for this shit!.... :mad::(

Gray Ford, swade41, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  19. jazz1

jazz1

I had a similar unit to this as a additional heater behind the seat in a big truck I drove, Some of these would fit under the seat in your hot rod. I know one I had was only 10x10 x 3. The old ones which are so cool looking are not difficult to find and usually under $100. A talented/creative guy could give one of these new ones a vintage look
    I like the suggestion of heated seat as well when a heater just not practical.
    upload_2018-10-16_19-0-18.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  20. trollst

trollst

I need heated seats in my roadster, chilly today DSC07236.JPG DSC07209.JPG DSC07231.JPG

Deuces, jazz1 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. I had my heater on before, it was cold coming home from the gym.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Been driving my 37 Chevy p/u without a heater for almost 20 years,found a original heater and have it almost ready to go in but can not figure out how I can drill holes in the firewall without damaging the paint. If its not too cold I can get some heat off the firewall.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why wouldn't anyone want to be comfortable when driving their rod? Or freeze their ass off for 20 years?

Same goes for A/C as well as heat. Besides being more confortable it adds value to your car. I think those vintage heaters look great. A definite no brainer for me.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    AHotRod, i.rant and jazz1 like this.
  24. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

In Minnesota you have to have heat and defrosters, the cruising season is too short to wait for fair weather. I tucked a 40,000 BTU cab heater from Summit up under the dash, it worked great last weekend driving home in the snow... heat.jpg

AHotRod, Deuces and Gman0046 like this.
  25. Installed this Japanese copy of a 50'/60's English Smiths heater/demister probably 30yrs ago.....might have used it 3 or 4 times...........dunno why I bothered come to think of it......lol........andyd

Attached Files:

26. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

my '50 pick up was the ''Deluxe'' model, came with a heater and tissue box holder. I stole the heater and installed in the '53. Original, 6 volt, works fine. No temp control though.

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used to love getting my T bucket out in the snow...but I'm also abnormal. I tent camp in sub 0* weather. On purpose.

28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Heater would have felt good this morning.

F&J likes this.
  29. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

We are in that time of the year out here on the left coast, gotta run the heater in the mornings, the A/C in the afternoon then roll the windows down in the evening.....Just glad I got em all to choose from!

AHotRod and F&J like this.
  30. I had my truck out on Tuesday in this, no heat and no side glass, I've had the roadster out in 27 degree weather traveling down the highway at 60 mph, no heat and no top of course.
    Do I wish I had heat, you bet your ass I do..lol
    20181018_233606.jpg

Deuces likes this.