Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods is there a simple part you can't find?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 13, 2018.

1. I have procrastinated for more than 30 years but I decided a couple of months ago it's time for a interior in my old Deuce sedan and have had a steady stream of packages arriving from the big brown truck.

I have most of the parts that are needed before the upholstery is installed, even the hard to find sun visors but the simple passenger door post on & off light switch, several catalogs list the part but it seems to be out of stock with everyone I have ordered it from.

Possibly this thread may help other members locate parts that seem to be non existent, out of stock or made with unobtainium. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. scotts52

scotts52

55-56 Pontiac wagon taillight lenses. They're made of gold or unobtanium.

nochop likes this.
  3. Are the lens in the wagon the same as the passenger car? HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. scotts52

scotts52

Unfortunately no. I do have a set but they are so horribly weathered that they're really only good for patterns. Years ago it seems someone sold a kit where you could cast and pour your own. I'm guessing since it's no longer available that either it didn't work so well or nobody bought the kit. 3D printing would be nice but I don't think they're up to UV quality yet.

5. XXL__

XXL__

I've been looking for one of these unobtanium parts for 6+ months. Generic brass 1/8" NPT on all sides. All the local stores give me blank stares, then offer to cobble together some kind of monstrosity of pieces and parts. I need simple and unobtrusive like what's pictured. It is to attach both oil pressure idiot light sender and gauge.

2018-04-12 12.48.33.png

Vanness, brad2v and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

An original 66/67 Chevy II 327/350 hp (L79) windage tray.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. '51-'53 Fordomatic steering column locally .... When I do find one , its missing the shift lever and/or turn-signal lever ...both of which are A/T column specific...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. With all the members here someone might have a extra, I have a small box with different brass fittings and I dig though it and see if I have one. HRP

BigO, nochop and XXL__ like this.
  9. Luke stone

Luke stone

I can't find an interior mirror and or arm or interior courtesy light for my 38 willys truck. Can't even find something close
    Luke

BigO and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. brad2v

brad2v

Rear bumper guards for a '57 Pontiac. Luckily, they're symmetrical vertically, and I have 4 with decent top halves. I hope I can make 2 good enough for chrome, but it'd sure be nice to find a good pair that aren't a grand.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. I’m missing just one part so I can start my project.
    Time .............:confused:

12. brad2v

brad2v

Would this work?
    https://www.fairviewfittings.com/pr...ttings--brass/extruded-street-tee-117010.html
    it worked on my SBC to do exactly what you're decribing

13. IMG_20181007_085144803_HDR.jpg
    '57 210 two door rear armrest, drivers side. Not reproduced.

14. F&J

F&J

If you can make a mold around the original, you can pour your own lens. Some taillight red plastics can be melted down into pourable liquid with lacquer thinner.

I used silicone to make some molds once.

It looked familiar so I went to look at a pile of NOS Weatherhead fittings a friend gave to me. He had already been scrapping many more boxes of these, getting very little for the brass value, so I missed out.
    DSCN1897.JPG
    Well, it's not what you need. 1/4"NPT male X 2 inverted flares.

I'd just make one from aluminum. I buy aluminum bars & roundstock from the local recycle. Take a 1.5" round, cut it to length after turning one end down for the 1/8"NPT male. Then cut off both sides of the round to get that flat side of the shape, then cut the other sides to be a Y, then drill/tap the 2 males.

"a walk in the park" Lol..

nunattax, Hnstray, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  15. XXL__

XXL__

brad2v and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. This may be what you are looking for, it is on the passenger door post of my very early 4 door '32. It is not available but maybe a picture will help in your search. I wonder if any of the Model A ones are the same?

Charlie Stephens IMG_9870.jpg

nochop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. 2935ford

2935ford

I need to turn my garage inside out, upside down and if I don't find it........
    the speedo gear and housing that fits on the tail shaft on a 49/50's 78 case truck 3 speed top loader

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Sometimes you can strike gold when you look for the same part, but on a similar parent-company car. For example, a wiper motor for a 59-60 Cadillac is the same as 58 Chevy and Pontiac, but if you limit your search to Caddy only, you are left with less or zero options. It also lets the "Caddy-only" parts suppliers charge more for these bits! Ford use many common parts (Mercury / Edsel / Lincoln /t-bird) . I have used many Holden (Australian G.M.) parts on U.S. based GM stuff as sometimes non-existant or very difficult to find anything here.

WTF really and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a splitter Y like we used to use team tig welding on boiler tubes so two of us could run off the same bottle of argon. Should be able to find what you need at your friendly local welding supply.

dan c, Atwater Mike, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. Yes sir, that is the switch I am looking for, I have the cover but my switch is broken, I have ordered the switch from 3 different company's that list it but it's out of stock.

I haven't tried any Model A sources but it's worth a try. HRP

nochop and The37Kid like this.

21. Go to a hydraulics place that fabricated hoses and tubes one I use called Aztec ( they have a location in NY as well)
    Can make you a small fitting out of hose or fabricate a proper fitting of your liking out of tube

HOTRODPRIMER, alanp561 and XXL__ like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

[QUOTE="HOTRODPRIMER,

I haven't tried any Model A sources but it's worth a try. HRP[/QUOTE]

Call Snyder's on Monday. DSCF8302.JPG This is a part, an electrical part, do not count this as me doing electrical work. Bob

DSCF8303.JPG

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. brad2v

brad2v

I see. Ok, almost the same, but not enough. My application is/was 2 mechanical gauges. Way more space. Frank has the solution, you just need a lathe. :DSo do I. And somewhere to put it.

HOTRODPRIMER and XXL__ like this.
  24. scotts52

scotts52

HRP, I used to work in a vacuum shop and that switch looks a lot like some that we used. Do you happen to have a picture of what the switch is supposed to look like without the cover?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My Country Squire is missing the tailgate emblem and i can’t even find a decent picture of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

McMaster Carr has a 1/8 npt wye in 304 stainless for less than $5. Its near impossible to post a link to an actual page within their site but if you go to mcmaster.com and search for 4464K716 that should take you to it. It is female all around so you'd have to use a nipple where you need the male but that oughta not look out of place. Ran across several sources for brass wye fittings but none smaller than 1/4 pipe.

alanp561, HOTRODPRIMER and XXL__ like this.
  27. Dennis Carpenter has the country squire emblems but the only script I remember on therear gate was a Overdrive and Dennis Carpenter has that also. . HRP

[​IMG]

28. HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. gatz

gatz

I found these fittings sold by Pneuflex

http://www.pneuflex-pneumatic.com/brass-pipe-fittings-symf-male-to-female-y.html#npt-thread

Pneuflex Brass Pipe Fittings.jpg

Attached Files:

dan c, nunattax, alanp561 and 6 others like this.
  30. 57-58 Ford weather strip pieces. 2 years only and Fairlane 2 door Hard top only. One Mounts to the Top most corner of the A post, there is a Left and Right side as well as a piece that mounts between the upper door glass flapper and the Quarter window upper channel, it fills the 1/8" gap and there is also a Left and Right side of that part. They actually all four mount under and to the Roof drip rail and window channel. As of yet I haven't found anything in reproduction or Factory replacement. Without the 4 of them you have a Wind Whistling S.O.B.
    The Wizzard

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.