Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods El Mirage October Meet, anyone been to it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty Dug, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Can anyone give some advice to a first time spectator. I'll be down there and thought to check out some land speed racing. Any experiences would be appreciated.

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

Tech is Sat. Racing Sunday. Racing usually starts around 8 a.m. Maybe a bit earlier. The BLM charges $15 to get on the lake. The pits are open and most are spectator friendly. There are speed limits in the pit area. And usually there is a catering truck there with pretty good food. Come on out and see some fast bikes and cars.

Stogy, woodiemike and Dirty Dug like this.
  3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks for the reply, yeah looking forward to it.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Might be cool in the morning, Should be nice after the sun has been up for a while. You can park along the return road and watch the cars go by fast one way. Slow going back. Or go th the start line and check them out up close.

Stogy and Dirty Dug like this.

5. There is a "Lake Bed closed" notice because of water on the bed as of this time........

Stogy likes this.
  6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That's good to know. Will it dry out before next weekend?

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Stogy likes this.
  8. Does any one have dates for next year? Specifically, June?

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Where are you staying? Camping on the lake? Or nearby?

If you can, take some shade & hope the winds don't kick up enough to blow it over. You never know what the weather is going to be like, though the forecast looks mild. Many times I've left home in the rain, and got out to the lake and had a great, sunny, calm weekend. Other times I've been chased off the lake (even snowed once), but once down the hill the weather was nice. It's typical high desert climate, extreme changes can and do occur. The wind can kick up out of nowhere, and it can go away again just as fast. But even on a nice day the sun can cook you, so make sure to take sun screen and use it liberally, and a hat, and plenty of water (and beer!). Dress in layers, so you can shed them as the sun rises in the sky. Dark glasses to shield you eyes as it can be very bright. Some binoculars wouldn't be bad to have on hand. If you have a pop up canopy you can take, put it up along the course somewhere to stake out an area to watch, then go to the start line and check out all the cars, then go back to your spot to watch. If all you've got is lawn chairs, take a cheap umbrella for some shade. Or maybe it's just me, but I always have to be careful of over exposure. Too many years playing in the sun has taken it's toll on my skin. 1 bout with skin cancer is enough for me. And again, plenty to drink, you can get dehydrated easy. Drink more than you think you need to, dehydration can sneak up on you. Try to stay ahead of it. Oh, and chap stick for the lips is a good idea too.

Have fun, I'll be going the opposite direction, I'm headed up to WA for a family visit and a niece's wedding.

jnaki and Stogy like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When on the lake bed just follow all the vehicles that don't look like the off road type until you see orange cones. Don't panic if you think you'll never see them, they will appear.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Can any of you recommend a nearby motel?

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

At Bear Valley Rd and Interstate 15 there is a La Quinta Inn & Suites that nice to stay at from past stay's I've made unrelated to El Mirage. As for something less than 30 minutes from the lake bed I don't think so unless a dive is OK.

Stogy likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Adelanto motels are full. Victorville has quite a few out on Interstate 15. Getting to the lake bed takes about 40 minutes if you know where you are going. Timed runs start as close to 8 as possible when every one is ready. Remember everyone out there is a club volunteer doing a duty if not racing. BLM can ticket for stupidity. Have fun.

Dirty Dug likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

a boner and Dirty Dug like this.
  15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks for all your input. I hope to meet some of you on my way through.

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  16. Look for the "Bred Truck" with the Hostess Ho Ho logo on the back door ! I'll most likely be at the 505 cars pit with the San Diego Roadster bunch ! Stop by, say Hi !!!!

Dirty Dug likes this.