Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help! Interior Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Alright. I'm going for a later 1960s unfinished home built hotrod look (hence the lack of a top insert). I'm not going for a crazy show build....yet! Could y'all please send examples or give suggestions to improve my interior.

Here's my to-do list:

Sew vintage Mexican blanket to minivan seat.
    Install or dye the carpet black.

Should I install or have rubber mats made? What type of carpet would you use? Go! IMG_20180818_201246.jpeg IMG_20180818_201253.jpeg IMG_20180928_134545.jpeg IMG_20180818_201301.jpeg IMG_20180928_134515.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

You'll spend more money on dye, than replacing the carpet with an indoor/outdoor carpet from your home center.
    If you template correctly, you can use the factory binding, so no sewing required. I've done this on dozens of Builds. Check out my Website for examples. In fact, my latest Build uses a home area rug from HomeGoods!
    As far as seats go, get some SmittyBilt buckets... one and done!

P1010043.JPG IMG_0647.JPG

Nicholas Coe and Gman0046 like this.
  3. Looks great! Thank you.

4. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

Lowe’s has hook and loop carpet area rugs 5x8 I bought 2 for 24.00 each. Cut and layed in looks like car carpet .mine is black, looks great

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  5. Tractor supply has some nice rubber mat, that's what I had in my old Deuce 4 door hiboy. HRP

da34guy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Throughout the '60s, I never saw a Mexican blanket used for interior cover.
    Tijuana tuck and roll? Lots, mucho. But I'm from here...California. Mexico's right below. vvvv
    Cum to think about it, some of our pals had Mexican blankets folded and placed on the back seat...Not as 'seat covers', but as 'beach mat', to prevent sandburns on girlfriends' butts. Logical confusion. :confused::p

Elcohaulic, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am building a COE and didn't didn't want carpet, and found some thin, flexible rubber with a nice grain, to match the original seat cover. IMG_5013.JPG IMG_2045.JPG

Elcohaulic, Rich B., loudbang and 4 others like this.
  8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. On the seats if you want something different & don't mind spending some money I have 2 excellent Buffalo hides with full winter hair on. Very professionally tanned by well known taxidermist in Montanna about 12 years ago. Taken in South Dakota on thanksgiving weekends in I believe 2005 & 6. I had planned a project for them but now am never going to get around to that. Jimmie

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  9. 1pickup

1pickup

If you really want the look from that era, you need the black "welded" diamond pattern vinyl for the door/side panels. It even had fake "buttons!" Also, if the "homebuilt" look is what you want, the seats shouldn't match the doors. Just some mid 60's black buckets. Maybe from a Corvair or Falcon.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey Nicholas, I like your build and your garage... Your interior panels look a lot like my panels...**clic pic** MR 800 for sale 006.JPG

11. Very nice car! More pics please!

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

OK.. But it's your thread.. **clic pic** MR 800 for sale 010.JPG MR 800 for sale 011.JPG

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  13. When cutting carpet or even padding, use that brown roll paper for masking painting from home depot. For larger areas, cut strips and tape them together, FLAT.....Get some chalk, and lay the paper wherever and however you want, press in the angles, and mark with chalk. then take the paper, cut a little inside or outside the chalk lines, however you choose to do it, then lay the paper on your carpet and cut... pretty simple, but works like a champ !

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nicholas, Those are louvers...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. I knew that! My bad.

16. I thought I posted a photo of the rubber mat, this is th photo I omitted. HRP

[​IMG]

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What motor is in your coupe, Nicholas???

Nicholas Coe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

Hotrodprimer,
    I like that rear door lock! What year is you car. Can you PM me some more pictures of your car inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. 1974 455 Oldsmobile Rocket that's been mildly built and "desmogged". IMG_20180924_193124.jpeg

Elcohaulic and scrap metal 48 like this.
  20. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

1/8" rubber diamond plate for the floor, and metal for interior panels.
    IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1923.JPG

21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Marty, that is one heck of a job on your truck. Where did you find that rubber mat?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  22. Liking the diamond plate rubber mat. I can find some real thick stuff, but that looks thin.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

24. That's too nice of a rod for the blanket on the seat idea. It's a mismatch. I understand the connection with the time period you are going for, though. How about some well-done seat covers with 12"+/- wide Mexican blanket inserts in the two sitting areas, the balance in black? I haven't seen that done but it looks good in my imagination.
    The burgundy carpet looks a little off in the photos so your plan for black (or charcoal) is the right way to go.
    Just a couple minor changes should make it more tasty than it already is. ;)

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  25. x2 on the rubber mat HRP suggested.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably this stuff, available in a range of sizes in both black and grey:

https://www.mcmaster.com/6815t86

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ribbed rubber mat.
    Those ABS interior panels are what I made for my roadster just a basic no frills hot rod.
    I even have the same Hurst shifter handle with a short section taken out of the offset.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  28. Could you please send pics? Thanks!