Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saving a 54 Mercury Custom 2 Door Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks brEad, Post should be coming more often now.

I hope we are done painting the car. Don seems to be painting nuts and bolts everyday now as a lot of parts are going back on the car.

I took on the inner fender seal and anti rattle strips project this week.
    IMG_3262R.jpg
    Don was able to buy a couple of kits from Dennis Carpenter for this. They mus have used one heck of a stapler to attach these strips at the factory. I used 1/8th inch aluminum rivets with stainless washers to attach the seals.
    IMG_3266R.jpg
    These seals required 3/16th rivets.
    IMG_3267R.jpg
    IMG_3268R.jpg IMG_3270R.jpg IMG_3271R.jpg
    These attach at he firewall end of the inner fender.
    IMG_3272R.jpg
    The inner fenders are now ready for installation. Hopefully next week.
    IMG_3273R.jpg
    Don has been busy installing the engine bay stuff. Of course each time he wants to attach something it seems like it needs a new bolt. Each new bolt means the new detail painting.
    IMG_3274R.jpg
    The lighter blue color was the original choice for the body color but Don changed his mind after painting the engine. He decided to leave the engine the lighter color for an accent. If you are noticing the lack of chrome or polished aluminum , it because of Don's dislike of polishing chrome and aluminum on his 37 Chevy. Hopefully the engine will appear neat,clean and almost factory stock to those that will get a rare glimpse under the hood.

Don also had a new drive shaft built this week and it is installed. (fits good too!)

2. Just a heads up, this style rear bar can bend the axle housing if you engage in any 'spirited' driving. Ford installed their factory rear bars on the leaf spring cars to the body, with the links going down the shock/axle plate. Not all Ford housings are created equal, some use thinner metal than other. The coil rear spring cars used a heavier-duty housing, if using this type bar you should use one of those or a truck housing.

The reason I know is because this happened to me. I installed a Addco rear bar like yours on a OT Mercury (with leafs) I used to own and started having axle bearing failures within 5K miles. The initial failures started at about 5K, subsequent failures grew to be less. The axle housing had been narrowed slightly and straightened by Art Morrison, so I took it back to him. He confirmed it was bent (but wasn't sure why), re-straightened it, we both verified it was straight, I reinstalled it. More failures, pulled it again and it was definitely bent. Fixed the housing, removed the bar, no more bearing failures...

loudbang likes this.
  3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know the saying “everything is in the details “; you and Don are demonstrating that. I have always thought that the most complex cars were built after the war and through the ‘50s. You guys are doing a great job

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for the insight Crazy Steve. I will pass this info on to Don. I am sure he will not be happy to hear it after the efforts he had to go through to buy that rear sway bar.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Yeah, I'm sure he won't be happy either, but fixing it now will easier (and cheaper) than finding out it's an issue. I had at least 10 bearing failures, ruined a couple of axles, had to pay for tows a few times, plus the hassle of pulling the housing... Not mention the heat I took from the wife who was usually driving it when it broke... LOL.

chryslerfan55, lowcoe and loudbang like this.
  6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

We have been making some progress in between Don's fishing,camping my shop remodel.
    IMG_3277R.jpg

IMG_3280R.jpg
    I was surprised that this gasket was available for the fresh air system.
    IMG_3309R.jpg
    We noticed the Mercury did not have a panel here so Don made some up. We hope this will keep mud from piling up on the bottom of the fender.
    IMG_3310R.jpg
    These body bolt covers were also available.
    IMG_3311R.jpg IMG_3323R.jpg
    We are getting some AC plumbing done.
    IMG_3325R.jpg IMG_3326R.jpg
    IMG_3301R.jpg

7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

IMG_3300R.jpg
    The fresh air intake screen had a hole in it big enough for a bee to get through. I tried to stitch the hole shut with some wire but I did not like the results. So I decided to make a new one using a technique I had seen here on the HAMB.
    IMG_3291R.jpg
    I made a paper pattern the size of the opening in the front bulkhead (or radiator support) and cut some 1/2" plywood siding for a form.
    IMG_3292R.jpg
    I marked and cut the hole in plywood.
    IMG_3293R.jpg

IMG_3294R.jpg
    I had some steel mesh screen laying around.
    IMG_3295R.jpg
    I placed the steel mesh in between the plywood I used some wood screws to clamp the screen between the plywood forms.
    IMG_3296Rjpg.jpg
    My first attempt failed because I clamped the screen too tight and the wire mesh split.
    IMG_3297R.jpg
    So I cut another piece of screen and this time I did not tighten the screws so tight. This allowed the screen to stretch and deform without splitting.
    IMG_3298R.jpg
    Note that the wire mesh is also cut so that the screen is inside the perimeter of the clamping screws.
    IMG_3299R.jpg
    I used two sizes of plastic hammer to stretch the screen.
    IMG_3301R.jpg
    It's hard to see but the screen eventually stretched to the desired contour was painted black and is installed in a place that no one will be able to see it. It was a fun project. I can imagine it would be more difficult trying to stretch a piece steel into the same shape with this method but I still would like to give it a try.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job, Sam. I was thinking, while I was reading your post, that the screen could probably have been flat, but there is something about making it correct that is very satisfying.

loudbang likes this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You are right Joel I could have made it flat (and it did cross my mind) but what fun is that?

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

So today I was able to finish the fabrication of the modified oil bath air filter.
    IMG_3363R.jpg
    We had to stack two filters. An aluminum plate was cut and placed on top of the filters for a good seal. A piece of 1/8" black gasket was cut and placed on to of the aluminum plate for an ant rattle ' spacer device.
    IMG_3364R.jpg
    I think it looks good on the ( no chrome, no polished aluminum) engine.
    IMG_3365R.jpg

11. farmer12

farmer12

Just read through the whole thread, impressive work!

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  12. I like your air cleaner 39 guy. I did something similar on the F4 I restored. Like you, I gutted the oil bath air filter, cut the bottom off and welded the bottom of a 4 barrel air cleaner to it and then used a K&N filter inside it.
    IMG_5398.jpg

13. loudbang

loudbang

Filter looks like it belongs there.

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and joel like this.
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you farmer12!

Great looking air cleaner Highvolt5.0! I have been considering the addition of some decals which look great on yours. So far I think it will stay decalless though.

That is kind of what we think loudbang. I just looked up this picture of a stock filter for 1954. Looks like it was a bigger unit. It would probably not have worked as well as this one does with the 351 Windsor.
    [​IMG]

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The temporary paint booth that was up for 14 months came down this week so we could move the Merc to the painters shop.
    IMG_3366R.jpg

IMG_3369R.jpg

IMG_3370R.jpg
    It only took a couple of hours to tear down the booth that it took us a week to build a year ago. It took me a few more hours to sort through all of the parts and put them away for future use. We threw out all of the plastic sheeting. There was too much overspray on it and Don had started out testing his spay patterns directly on the plastic. This is not a recommended practice as the paint eventually starts peeling off making the booth less than clean.
    IMG_3396R.jpg
    We loaded it up on the trailer for the 20 minute drive. Weather was perfect all week. It averaged 65 to 70 all week. upload_2018-10-19_21-35-9.jpeg
    IMG_3397R.jpg

IMG_3398R.jpg

IMG_3399R.jpg

IMG_3401R.jpg
    I am not sure if Mike the painter is crying here our praying for a successful paint job.
    IMG_3402R.jpg
    This is Mike the painters booth.Mi
    IMG_3405R.jpg
    Mike had already painted the garnish moldings and dash.
    IMG_3406R.jpg
    Don hauled these parts home. Mike and Don expect the paint job to take two weeks.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, brEad, joel and 3 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Big day in the progress of this fine rebuild

1947knuck likes this.
  17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done Sam. Is this the same painter that you used for the 40 coupe? Taking the booth down is a big milestone; you have to be happy.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Just got mine back from paint, so I appreciate what it takes to get this far. And I appreciate how much work remains when you get her home for reassembly. Good job, and I appreciate your time to keep posting. Love the details. Love your cars. Keep up the good work.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Loudbang! I appreciate your comments!

Yes Joel we used Mike the short armed painter again. Yes we were both very happy to have the booth come down.

Thank you Walt! We still have a long way to go and I will keep posting as we go.

We brought the painted car home this week.
    IMG_3439R.jpg

IMG_3440R2.jpg
    Mike the painter is happy to have another project out of his shop.
    IMG_3441R.jpg
    Ready to hit the road.

IMG_3442R.jpg
    After a 20 minute drive across town we are ready to off load the Merc.

IMG_3444R.jpg IMG_3446R.jpg
    Home and ready for some clean up and some cut and buff work. They did a pretty good job of keeping the overspray out of that brand new engine bay.

More posts soon. We are getting to the fun stuff now.

20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

When the car went to the painters shop they had some trouble with the hood falling on the enthusiastic crew. As you may well know 54 Mercury hoods are not light! So Mike the painter whipped up this nice prop rod out of stainless steel. Looks and acts like it was always supposed to be
    there.
    IMG_3449R.jpg IMG_3450R.jpg IMG_3451R.jpg IMG_3452R.jpg IMG_3453R.jpg

21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

This week we cut and bufed the top and have cut most of the car from trunk to to the front of the doors.We use 1500 grit for cutting the orange peel and then sand it with 2000 before buffing with Norton Liquid Ice.
    IMG_3454R.jpg IMG_3455R.jpg

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks great, Sam. Is that Liquid Ice a compound or more of a polish? I'm just curious; I have not seen it before.

loudbang likes this.
  23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

We use this Norton Liquid Ice Extra Cut along with the three pad system. I am sure there are a lot of products and methods to use for cutting and buffing but this system was recommended by our paint supplier and seems to do a good job so far. We will follow up with a product called Mirror Glaze by Meguiars when we have completed this initial step with the liquid Ice.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sit...val-LiquidIceLine-NortonAA-7895.pdf?t=1739520

upload_2018-11-10_18-9-32.png

lowcoe, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the info,Sam. I ‘m always looking for something a little better or faster.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Looks GREAT. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Cut and Buff progress.
    IMG_3459R.jpg IMG_3460R.jpg IMG_3461R.jpg

brEad, lowcoe, joel and 1 other person like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well we have been working steadily on the project since the last report and I am overdue for an update.
    IMG_3494R.jpg
    We finished the cut and buff but found some spots that needed a little more paint so we took it back to the painter for some touch up. When we loaded it up for the trip I couldn't pass up a few outside shots of the car.
    IMG_3495R.jpg
    She came out pretty straight.
    IMG_3497R.jpg
    So when the car came back form the painter Don did some more cut and buff while I started the rehab of the miscellaneous parts and pieces that we had taken off of the car a few years ago.

IMG_3573R.jpg
    This aluminum frame is made locally by a talented machinist. We thought the square edges looked too billet and the brushed finish was too dull. So I spent some time with files, sandpaper and a buffer to fix that.
    IMG_3575R.jpg
    IMG_3576R.jpg
    I screwed the frame to this 2x6 for the metal work and polishing.
    IMG_3577R.jpg
    The 54 plate is longer than a standard plate requiring the use of a custom license frame.
    IMG_3604R.jpg
    The first bling goes on the car.
    IMG_3606R.jpg
    Came out okay.
    IMG_3639R.jpg
    A few days later we took the trunk lid off of the car and installed the trunk seal.
    IMG_3640R.jpg
    Cross section of the seal.
    IMG_3641R.jpg
    This seal went on real easy. I held the seal away from the trunk while Don applied the weather strip adhesive which made a sometimes messy job pretty tidy. a small brush was used to spread the adhesive smoothly over the surfaces.
    The latch mechanism and trunk lock were then installed.
    IMG_3642R.jpg
    The trunk latch catch was installed.
    IMG_3643R.jpg
    A few adjustments later and the trunk lid is on and aligned well. The new taillights look pretty good. I cleaned up the old aftermarket license plate light and installed that too. Don said the original license plate light was available but it costs $50.00 so we decided to use this one since our labor is free.

28. Terraizer

Terraizer

Looking really good

loudbang likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

It's been a long journey to this point but this one will be BETTER than a new one ever was. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you nailed the finish on the liscense plate frame. You're making good progress on assembly. It's going to look great.

loudbang likes this.