Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you ever truly done buying cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

My wife made a comment the other day that by the time I get my 36 done, I won't be needing to work out of my shop. She was talking about painting the floors in the shop and basically using it for a storage facility for all my cars.

That kinda made me pause for a minute. I had never intended on not building cars...of course, I didn't tell her that. She thinks there is a sunset in view. I'm just getting started.

2. Sold my off-topic Caddy back in the Spring. Had no intention of getting another project anytime soon. Just had an off-topic Dodge B200 van fall into my lap. Luckily my wife is into it!! There's so many cars I still want to own, I know I'll never be done.

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I keep saying im done buying new projects....then the next one shows up:confused:

4. AndersF

AndersF

As long i can go out in the garage and work on stuff i problaby going to do so.
    But i have all the cars, motocycles and tractor i need.
    So i going to do my best to not get any more stuff without to sell off something.

5. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

That's cause you're still young (what 26?). My dad at 85 says he already owns his last car. I loved the infinite immortality that I used to feel when I was young. I'm still not done at 61, but really trying to focus wrapping up all that I currently have in the works.

bchctybob likes this.
  6. I am starting to realize I am slowing down, 9 years ago I built my Deuce pickup from a original non running truck to a running & driving hot rod in a little less than 3 months, granted I worked on it almost every night and weekends but it was on the road.

My most resent acquisition is a non running '50 Ford coupe that needs the basic clean up,fluids changed, brake job, carburetor rebuild, new master cylinder, new fuel lines, new gas tank, trunk floor replaced, wheels and tires and a new alternator along with doing away with the remote oil filter.

I bought the car August 1st. and today is October 11th. and I have managed to get about 1/2 the items checked off the list.

I just don't work on it as much as I should, plus I have been working on my daughters off topic car after her minor accident.

BTW, I have heard Brenda mention this is Danny's last car so many times we quit keeping score. :D HRP

7. I didn't think I was until I looked at my 401K this afternoon. :eek:

Xtrom, Roothawg and Mr. Sinister like this.
  8. oldsman41

oldsman41

I really don’t know what i would do if I wasn’t building a hot rod. For my 71st birthday in July i bought a little model a coupe to do.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes they just follow you home...................................

10. gtokid70

gtokid70

Shure at one time or another we say " this is my last project" but once a gear head always a gearhead. As long as the cars are available,we'll keep buying them. Its never the last, not till were dead

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  11. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

The short answer is NO. But my wife is trying to limit me . When I spot a barn find she says "NO!" keep driving there is no room left. Then we spotted a '73 Triumph Spitfire for her, guess what there was enough room for it. Working on it now.

mkebaird, 1959Nomad and Roothawg like this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Every time my lady is within earshot I am sure to say "I love building cars, not owning finished cars." She grins at me wryly, like an axe murderer, and I know that she knows that I'm not done.

In all seriousness, we built the shop to build things in, and she was the catalyst behind that endeavour. I think she gets it. She still looks at me like an axe murderer sometimes... I think it's just a marriage thing.;)

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Close I'm 50. We have been married for 30 years almost and I can't tell you how many builds we have done. Mine gets it and is supportive, but she is ready to stop building and start driving. It's my own fault, I get within 10% of being done and I usually sell em. I enjoy the build. It's my therapy.

14. Not while I still have a pulse.

57JoeFoMoPar and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh yeh, I'm "stick a fork in me" done!

mgtstumpy and Bandit Billy like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stopped buying cars one night a few months ago.
    Same night I also gave up drinking, smoking, cussing, leering, over eating, and golfing.
    Most boring dream I ever had.

17. jazz1

jazz1

Yes my wife is also wanting a van along those lines,, I have no project but still wrenching my other stuf

mgtstumpy and Mr. Sinister like this.
  18. I went to an auction a few years ago for toy trains.

Came away with a '64 Riviera that wasn't too terrible. Nobody else wanted it.

mgtstumpy and Roothawg like this.
  19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Ha... I told my uncle last spring I was done buying project cars... Then I got 2 Mercs and a '57 F100. Too many deals out there to stop now!

Anyone have a '57 Ranchero project for sale?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    mgtstumpy and Roothawg like this.
  20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’ll say I’m done buying cars, just want parts.
    Buddy calls the other night with the number of a guy with 9 cars he wants gone in a package deal and lots of parts.
    I’m hoping he wants too much.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as stated above, working on projects is good therapy - need something to get you out of the easy chair, away from the computer, and out doing something constructive - for some of us, limited space & car budget does put a kink in things - speaking of kinks, the body gets older - even the most active youthful 90 year olds like Gene Winfield have kinks that slow down the plan - but, always having a plan that keeps the brain going is always best to keep motivated - maybe redoing stuff on something that you own - or reorganizing your shop/parts - great motivators - buying is not always the answer but, sure is fun

1959Nomad likes this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think about it...never do it..my latest image.jpeg

King ford and mgtstumpy like this.
  23. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I keep saying I'm done with project cars after this one, still keep looking at interesting cars. I'm sure if the right thing comes up it will come home with me. My son borrowed a specialty tool a couple of weeks ago and I told him to put in his tool box rather than bring it back, his comment was what was I going to do if I quit playing with cars. I don't think I have another frame off car in me but that doesn't mean I have to quit completely.

bchctybob, jazz1 and 1959Nomad like this.
  24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Are you ever truly done buying cars?"

Well, yes and no. Currently I'm finishing up on my 4th "last" car and some guy pointed a gun at me and made me buy his '54 Dodge truck--that will be my 5th "last" car. I can quit anytime I want to.

mctim64 likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My 47 Lincoln will probably be my last car. I want to make it everything I’ve always dreamed of owning. But I didn’t say it would be the last car. I want to trade the wife’s OT 88 Firebird Formula 350 for her a 46-48 Ford Tudor sedan or possibly a coupe. But the again there is this interesting 41 Packard 120 4 door sedan I keep seeing for sale, big gangster looking ride. Whatever it turns out to be will be her decision, I just get to update it if it needs it. Preferably it would be ready to go with only minor work needed, I don’t really want to get into engine and suspension swaps anymore.

26. I said I was, but...
    When I built my 56 I said that would probably be the last. That was 20 years ago. I have had many cars since then. This year I turned 70 and said, no more, then 2 months later I bought another one even though I have 2 unfinished now and one I planned to redo later.
    No, cars guys never quit.....

Pinstriper40 and Roothawg like this.
  27. deucemac

deucemac

I turned 71 last Friday and I swore off any more car purchases for an entire week! This Friday starts a whole new week that I haven't sworn off!

Pinstriper40, Roothawg and mctim64 like this.
  28. Latigo

Latigo

Yes, I'm done buying project cars. I'll just finish what I have. Retired 4 years ago and have lots of other interests that aren't car related and 2 new grandkids. Times slipping away.

Roothawg likes this.
  29. Drbrown

Drbrown

Our next project is probably that black hearse we're going to ride in.:confused:

mgtstumpy, jazz1 and Roothawg like this.