Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody Make Custom Old Timey Trunks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Oct 10, 2018.

1. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

I've got a 32 ford luggage rack mounted to the back of my 28 sedan that I'm running a 32 tank on. I am looking for a custom made old timey style trunk that is smaller than the Model A ones the resto places sell because they are too big and bulky looking. Does anyone know of a place that builds the old style covered wood trunks to custom sizes?

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Since you want a smaller stash area why not get an old retro cooler. With patina or restored would add to the cool look factor.

3. Find a good carpenter/craftsman.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hit up the antique mall shops in your area. I’ve seen hundreds of them in various sizes at those places.

7. If I wanted a Custom made one I'd go find a Custom cabinet builder, a Custom saddle maker and a Quality taylor. Then sit down with all 3 at the same time and come up with a plan. That way everyone gets to fine tune the plan with you and each knows what the other two are going to do. End result would have to be over the Top Kool.
    The Wizzard
    P.S. I don't think like Normal people.

Texas Webb and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-10-31_4-10-48.png

Hello,
    I agree with PJ about the antique mall or small shops. Around So Cal, there are plenty of places that carry old trunks of all sizes. The wood strips can be taken off and refurbished. The leather or trunk body can also be upgraded or cleaned up. The handles or latches can be re-plated with nickel or the original style finish. Now, not all of the trunks need this "take apart" refurbishing work. It is money that talks at those shops, for the ones in better condition with only a minor clean up and refurbishing is necessary.
    upload_2018-10-31_4-11-47.png upload_2018-10-31_4-12-4.png
    We saw plenty of trunks in the City of Orange and San Juan Capistrano antique shops. But, we were in the market for old suitcases to be used for corner tables or impromptu coffee tables by them selves or with a safety glass top. We only had to do some very minor repairs to make them presentable.
    upload_2018-10-31_4-12-44.png old stuff in a new place…
    Now, they have a place in our office as a gathering spot for those old memories. They sit along with our old picnic baskets and my dad’s old trout fishing creel.
    upload_2018-10-31_4-13-53.png
    Jnaki

At last year’s Price Transfer Lions Dragstrip Museum opening event, there was this 39-40 ford pickup truck that was very nicely detailed. In the back bed, it had a highly detailed antique trunk just sitting there. It gave the owner and passenger plenty of covered/secure storage for traveling, not normally available in pick up beds.
    upload_2018-10-31_4-14-33.png Price Transfer 2017
    In our 65 El Camino traveling trips, we had to use our Haliburton Suitcases as they were virtually weather proof. (secured in the bed with straps and locked to the bed wall motorcycle strapping loops.) One large and one small did the trick for week long trips.
    upload_2018-10-31_4-15-21.png Haliburton Aluminum suitcases
    upload_2018-10-31_4-16-2.png
    My mom also had two old antique trunks from the 30s that held her old stuff over the years. They were sealed pretty tight and the products inside were well preserved without the smelly “mothballs” that were popular back then. Hot rod use? if it fits. Hot rod truck use, definitely. Trunks and old suitcases have lasted ocean crossings and hours of traveling usage. They fit the hot rod image for sure.

9. 5window

5window

The retro cooler thing has become very "street roddy" around here. I'd suggest doing a search for what was around int 1932 or so and moving along those lines. Perhaps old travel mags, National geographic,Sat Evening Post,etc.

10. I used a military ammunition crate on my COE.
    Great for my truck and to carry a few essentials,
    But for the back of "T"s, "A"s & "B"S I love to see a vintage leather trunk.

IMG_1794.jpg IMG_2778.JPG

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

Antique shops are a good place, i see you are from michigan try shipshewanna Indiana they have great stuff and some great craftsman’s over there.

12. bct

bct

I can build it. If you are willing to deal with shipping.

13. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I really like those old trunks. I have a few in the shop that I use for storage. Found a French newspaper from the late 20s in one of them. That was kind of cool. lol

14. 5window

5window