Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Restored verses Hot Rodded

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

As they say, different strokes for different folks.... ;)

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Let me help you out there Frank, let me buy that 32 off you so's you can buy a newer daily driver and don't have to rely on an old car. Haha! I love that car, one of my favorites on the HAMB!

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. There is one thing for sure, he is getting his moneys worth! HRP

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Still lookin' might fine after all those miles!
    IMG_2845.jpg IMG_2846.jpg IMG_2847.jpg

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

When I was little dad took hell from the restoration guys for ruining a good model a.
    was one of the first chopped tops and "modern" drivetrain cars in the area. a very nice late 70s early 80s street rod.

What they never realized was it was build of the bodies they rejected. one front fender has parts of 5 fenders in it. theres at least 7 bodies combined for his body.
    Ruined nothing, saved what they called junk.
    Restorations are easy, anyone can put a car back like the factory did. It takes a real man to chop one up!

Modded 105E, jim snow, F&J and 2 others like this.
  6. Amen brother, I remember restorers giving me a hard time about my Model A pickup, none of them would even look at what I started with it was just good for parts.

But when it was on the road all I heard was I had ruined a perfectly good truck. HRP

Clay Belt and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My A pickup was once yard art. The cab was pretty bad shape, someone had given up hope on it and parked it in the yard as an ornament. I think it's better back on the road as a hot rod. If someone can't appreciate that, screw 'em.

8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I restored a ford cab over and it was nice but I could only drive it on back roads.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. While at a local car show two restorers stood by my 37 Ford and said what a waste of a nice Ford . I had to say something , and told them the 37 was made into a hot rod back in 1948 and was only 11 years old at the time. So I said it wasn't an antique was it , think I got em with that. They weren't happy when they walked away !

jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Plenty of great info on traveling Route 66 in Illinois at the museum in Joliet along with books and maps to help you along the complete route. Check out my thread on our trip we completed earlier this year, Enjoy!!
    Dave

squirrel and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Terrible80

Terrible80

You guys have more patience than I. I say a " Kiss my ass!" was called for.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

da34guy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

No lie, I was just thinking last night about how I never could have designed that black pickup with the blue top half!! I loved that look from the first time I ever saw that Avatar pic, I still love it.

and no, I cannot trade...because I'm starting to get "rewards" here...>>> a couple weeks ago driving up the main drag, I see this blonde who is working on her antique building to start a new store.. I had only met her and her husband once at that building(me on foot) during a townwide festival and we hit it off......BUT, as I crossed lanes and pulled right up with the 32, she saw it was me, so excited and said "you have a Hotrod!!".. geez, she comes right through the window hugging and kissing me, then points to her cheek...so I obliged with a kiss back. She is a car girl !!, drives a Challenger, and when I said I built my hotrod to look like the plastic models I started building in the late 50s...she was so excited to say she built models too.

ok, what were we supposed to be talking about??o_O:eek:

13. 28rp

28rp

Nine times out of ten times,the dumb asses that tell us we have ruined a ''fine'' old car have never driven one let alone restored one........................

14. I'm the middle of the road between hot rodded and restored. Grew up in and around hot rods and customs so I have the thinking that stuff from the 30s through the 50s needs some hot rodding just to be good drivers. I can really appreciate a restored original pre war car as it there is a need for some to be preserved to have a reminder of the era they were originally built. I also give the guys who restore the cars back original major respect because correctly restoring a car back to original is not as easy as it sounds. I have a 68 Camaro that was my first car and I restored it back to original and was quite amazed at the complexity of detail you have to consider when going back to original. It can sometimes make hot rodding seem to be the easy way out, but hot rodding is fun when figuring out how to take various bits and pieces from various cars and have them all function like it was made for that car.

One funny thing though is that while Im used to hearing the ruined comments when showing Taboo because of all the body mods on a 56 Chevy, I have lately had quite a few people get angry at me for not making a pro touring car out of my 68 Camaro.

In the end though its my car and I enjoy it and I will build it how ever I want to!

15. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Boy you got that right! We too have an OT Corvette, we were invited to a couple of the local Corvette Club functions and I never experienced so many Egotistical Snobs.....not my cup of tea, I'll just hang with the hotrod groups.

16. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I suspect you have a point, but I also hang out in the AACA forum as I am doing an authentic restoration of a prewar convertible. I ear negative crap a little too often. Makes me wonder if the kid had a mean mother! I hate it when someone bangs another's effort, restoration or modified. Makes no sense to spew a negative statement and alienate a potential friend. Comments like "he ruined that car" or " I'd bag, slam and chop that" doesn't change a damn thing for the better.

17. My dad felt obligated to restore his 30 closed cab because it'd been in our family since 1930. He knew when I inherited it I'd hot rod it. Neither one of us needed to worry about it because it was stolen after he died, before I could claim it. I had really big plans for it that included a sweet flathead V/8/quick change, lowered suspension etc etc. rockysabone.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. How do I like it more than once? Lol

When you work in a parts department everything is on sale

19. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I like the way old cars drive. If your hot rod drives like a new car you've messed up. You've build a street rod. Half the fun of an old car is they drive like old cars. One can put lots of miles on old cars but you must have enough skills to maintain it properly and dont expect it to handle and steer and stop like a modern car. Drive it accordingly. Trouble is many today don't have the ability to drive an old car.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TTR and F&J like this.
  20. chevy2tom

chevy2tom

I purchased my 29 Tudor sedan as a hot rod project so I just continue the defilement

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. This controversy has been going on all of my nearly 70 years. Is it an authentic custom, restoration, hot rod, pro street, gasser, rat rod, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.? The answer to all those questions puts the controversy to rest. All specialty cars are personalized. End of story.

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

Ive had both and i think if you stay late 30s on you can still restore them and drive them. Model As not so much. I like back road tours they are a lot of fun. But now most secondary roads are 65 mph and running 40 in a restored a doesnt equate to a good time in my opinion. But i still like looking at an A that a guy put his time in on a full restore. But I’m driving a hot rod.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Over the years,I was asked a few times about why I cut up 1928 A Roadster in to a hot rod ? Depending on how they asked !
    I'd give some detail,by saying first I had helped restore to stock a few older cars,but then tell them how an in what shape I got this 28 they are looking at in 1957! Built in to hot rod by 1959
    If they are still wishing to know. By asking them at what point would you pass by vs try to restore one? The 28R I built my hot rod from,was at a farm in the muck up too the bottom of the doors,with the back of car crushed down to about frame from front of truck lid to rear,missing motor n tran/rad/ seats had zero upholstery left an winshield n top bows were gone amung other stuff.
    Its at that point most that ask,say "WOW" you saved it !

24. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I like 'em all!! The Carolina Blue car was an original, highly optioned restoration - sold it, keeping the purple 1st '55, sold both '55s, the '56 trk, the '57 window delivery, the bronze '66 (1 owner, low miles), selling the '57 delivery project, '51 2 dr mild custom, the yellow coupe, silver truck & sadley my '34 roadster. My youngest daughter will get the convertible. Like Krylon 32, I'm 73 & slowing fast. I have enjoyed this hobby for many years & it has been good to me - mostly self supporting thru swapping, trading, buying projects, selling, etc, but mostly fun. Arthritis is kicking my butt & it finds new places to invade, so not as much fun. I don't mean tp offend with the OT pics, but like I said "I like 'em all!!"

Attached Files:

chevy57dude likes this.
  25. I remember you posting that when you went to get the truck it was gone, did the police ever have any clues? HRP

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fordbarn versus Hamb

Restorers versus Hotrodders

Attitude versus Attitude

I have never in 4 years had an Antique Auto enthusiast give me attitude over The Ole Hotrod...

I have reciprocated in kind...

This is a Hotrod/Custom site so this really isn't
    the place to pose this question or comparison is it?

Lots of members here respect and appreciate both elements in the auto scene but separate the two due to the fact it really doesn't fit the guidelines...

If negativity is expressed it is no different than that, that gets flung around here just amongst regular on topic business.

Hotrodder versus Hotrodder

Or

Customizer versus Hotrodder

Or

Hotrodder versus Racer

Assholes are everywhere...o_O
    They use the hobby as a cover or a vehicle to extend their narrow mindedness and attitude.

The rest do the right thing...leave well enough alone or converse in a positive manner.

I respect all and park my attitude if I have nothing good to say.

That is not to say I like all...I don't, I choose my discussion and subject matter carefully.

This thread however is about negatives...being, lack of respect to others ambitions to do as they please and it unquestionably goes both ways and more.

27. Just drive junk like I do, then nobody gets butthurt over you "cutting up a nice old car".
    I drive my car when I feel like it, where I feel like it. If I don't feel like messing with it for a while, so be it. If I don't feel like reeking of exhaust and being half deaf when I show up somewhere, what of it? People should mind their own damn business.

firstinsteele likes this.
  28. Nope

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a neighbor once who when he saw my newly louvered hood for my 49 Chevy asked my why I ruined it... yeah, he was an old dick.

30. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

Great perspective. Very well explained.