Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE WALL OF SHAME"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duncan, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A thought occurred to me while I was reading GasGas300's post, regarding the front spring perch on his Dad's old 34 coupe.
    I have run across a few things that have made me stop and say "what was he thinking" and I have saved many of them in a bin of shame. So I got to thinking, we could have some fun and scare ourselves at the same time, by posting photos of things that should never have been done, a "Wall of Shame" so to speak.
    This thread is dedicated to "that person". It is not intended to embarrass anyone, so no names or references will be used, but maybe, if he comes across a photo of his handiwork, it can be a learning experience.
    Let the games begin.

2. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

An old time fender lip repair.

When you have a nice tight 40 Ford steering box and a splined Chevrolet steering wheel and shaft section that you want to use.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I don't have pictures as it was many years ago but a friend called me one time to come and look at his 57 Chevy he had just bought. He said something didn't feel right about the trans. I went over to check it out as he was not a car guy, but he wanted a "hot" car. It turned out it had a later sbc with a PG. The so called crossmember at the rear of the trans was a cut down piece of old bed frame with a piece of 2X4 and bailing wire. While I was under there I noticed that the scavenger pipes were made from a little kids swing set poles. To top it off he said he bought it off a guy that was a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer, go figure!!

brad2v, czuch, vetteguy402 and 4 others like this.
  4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. How is this for a gas pedal, necessity is the mother of invention.

My father-in-law was away on a fishing trip and the gas pedal broke while he was in Georgia being a creative sort he spied a old dilapidated barn any pulled a hinge of the door lying on the ground.

Interestingly enough when we got the old wagon from him it still sported the same door hinge gas pedal, I still have it hanging on the wall in my old shop. HRP

upload_2018-10-8_13-3-45.jpeg

Truck64, OahuEli, Shamus and 19 others like this.
  6. Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oh boy, this thread is gonna be fun.
    I wish it would have started a year ago, I've already fixed a bunch of the stuff on two of my cars that would be perfect for this thread.

classiccarjack likes this.
  8. Initially I think that falls into good thinking on his part!;) After it falls into if it aint broke don't fix it.:rolleyes:

9. True. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny
    I don't know if I had heard the story behind that hinge gas pedal but when you posted that before I do recall thinking that was pretty ingeneous.
    I just hope there was an adequate return spring.

chryslerfan55, czuch and Clay Belt like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Last year I sold my 47 Ford coupe that I built in 1988, I was around 19-20 years old while building the car. I told the new owner to remember a teenager built the car so when you find something stupid you know what was going on.;)

PeterG, OahuEli, nightmoves and 10 others like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many years ago I went to look at a Chevy pickup that was for sale, I sure wish I had taken a picture of it.
    It was advertised as just repainted, yep it was but :eek:, good gawd, closer inspection showed among other things that someone had put wadded up newspaper in rust outs in the lower front fenders behind the front bumper then just sprayed paint over it all.
    The picture is still etched in my mind.

chryslerfan55 and CudaChick1968 like this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

The previous owner of my ot truck put in an aftermarket stereo he had the amp wired up with out a fuse, and had it spliced to a smaller wire near the frame, and that smaller wire was zip tied to the fuel line. He also had 2-3 other wires running off of the battery that went to no where.

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. 62rebel

62rebel

Had an O/T Ford pickup that the PO had overlaid an entire wiring harness from a DODGE pickup into..... I was so confused by the mess I traded the truck away before the tires got cold. I traded some other cars for a slick little '62 Comet two door sedan; was pulling license plates out of the front floor board and found the right hand frame rail smashed into the transmission.... he'd had the COWL pulled out after an accident but not the FRAME RAIL. Funny thing was, it drove straight enough... PM me and I'll regale you with the O/T Ford Torino GT that I rebuilt because the PO HAD to have a 351w and four speed......

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey, who's been in my shop taking pics of my welds???

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Porch screen, roof flashing, dirty socks and Bondo.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was on the same car. An extra inch of Bondo that didn't need to be there at all. Who the hell adds an inch of Bondo for no reason???

[​IMG]

-Abone.

mgtstumpy, chryslerfan55 and brad2v like this.
  18. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

AAB71217-846B-4AD4-8984-29FDC0028B30.jpeg I’d have to say this entire car... S10 chassis, 350/350, generic gauges in a piece hacked out of an old sign... he’s a friend of mine. His 36 was done right. This poor 39 though...

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

Now, that barn hinge gas pedal looks familiar... mine will have a cover though... stock one fell apart about 24 years ago. Replacement did not fit. So... make one. Dodge B1 truck repop stuff is pretty bad, even though the trucks have been “discovered”...

20. a "professional" did this. check my notations. car was 17/32" longer on one side. panels were up to an inch off, door opening was 3/8" too wide at the bottom, wheel wells rotated. door jamb on one side was a 1/4" too low. nothing fit and they wanted me to paint it.....:rolleyes: DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0009.JPG

21. On beaters, I've used roofing cement to patch rusty sections of floor pans and then sprayed it with undercoating. It holds up pretty good and keeps things water tight. :oops:

22. 62rebel

62rebel

Somewhere in Virginia there's a 62 Falcon with about three inches of urethane making up the front floorboard. Our facility was discarding out of date urethane potting compound and I needed a floor ..... granted, it was heavy and thick but it sure was quiet

Dchaz, vetteguy402 and Bleach like this.
  23. 62rebel

62rebel

Besides, I didn't know jack about welding or sheet metal or anything else at the time.... stupid kid ruining nice cars.

Bleach likes this.
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Rear suspension on my Bantam when I got it. Swayed like a ship in rough seas. Still has the coil overs but moved way out and panhard twice as long.

Up front, steering box and idler out in the breeze. Replaced.. Bantam 002.jpg ebay 131.jpg

25. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

26. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That is freaking awesome ingenuity!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

People who are called “trades assistants” do this shit, had a car I was painting so stripped a door with a 3m disc , got 1/2” of filler out of the centre door , door proved to be straight as, idiots put a dome in the door with filler

28. That's what I mean, right there. Posted on the wall.

29. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

So YOU built my Sweptline? Roof flashing, angle iron and 2x4 chunks wood screwed to the inside rocker panel. Coated with cold patch. Bench seat lag bolted to a chunk of 1” plywood liquid nailed to the floorpan remnants?

Right area too, I bought it in WA... 14 years and a 2300 mile move later, the cab still stinks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.