Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Elephant of a Different Era

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 5, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Elephant of a Different Era

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought that was a great lookn ‘ truck when I first saw it in a small Hot Rod feature article; still do! I’ll bet she was just shy of being a rocket. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

The stance is so right! I wouldn't change a damn thing. Although if it's still in this configuration I'd get another tailgate and swap it out (the taillights are not to my liking either).

Current whereabouts? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Vaguely reminiscent of the Green Acres/Happy Days truck

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    edcodesign and Deuces like this.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

Well; the mid-70's was when I went from Model A restoration (my Dad's hobby, so I was into that with him) to seeing hot rods in various magazines of the day and the relatively few that showed up in our High School parking lot (Amherst County wasn't a hot bed of rods nor customs), so, that sweet little RPU is probably stored away in a cobwebbed corner of my memory from reading the magazines. I didn't know "traditional" from the proverbial "hole in the ground" back then; all rods were equally cool to this then-13 year old. Hell; VANS were cool... for a while, anyway.

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I dig old 70's builds. Reminds me of my childhood car show days.
    Except for the taillights, keg tank, and staggered carbs, that RPU is like something I'd build myself today.

7. There were a lot of cars built in the late '60s and '70s that may not pass the 'pure traditional' litmus test but are genuine hot rods nonetheless. Yeah, there was some jarring stuff (Goodyear Blue Streaks, beer kegs, late model taillights, the 'resto rod' influence) but some guys still 'got it'. Nice truck!

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a nice Hotrod...It seems this was 70s with Hamb period inspiration so it falls into the inspired category kinda sorta around here...there seemed to be several directions followed back then as you eluded. Being that 65 is the cutoff the imports were already here so the flavour of builds did get more international so to speak. The Bias plys help large...I am of the opinion these type of builds were becoming lesser and well you have today, low and behold...its a little lonely...so be it.

If you today were to find a seventies survivor that would surely be a pleasure to find...thanks for sharing your view and the views @J.Ukrop

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. 62rebel

62rebel

Remember, not many people were "keeping the faith" back then; many folks followed the latest trends and then went back when they realized it didn't look or feel right. Lots of side pipes and zoomies were sold back then..... not many still around. (I like side pipes, personally, but by God they have to match the wheelbase of the frickin' car)

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the 70's were my formative years. got a subscription to Street Rodder when I was 12. started reading Rod Action soon after. I for one am not interested in trends.

11. Really nice truck.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that's a hot rod! Except for the tail lights, it's pretty much the style that is burned into my brain as perfect--the 5 spokes, big meats, big power. Put on a set of Model A round tail lights, paint it red or black, and it will fit many eras.

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The engine details (12.5:1, crossram intake, pushbutton TF) are '64-65 Race Hemi spec. That means that tiny truck could easily be pushing around 650hp. I'll bet it was terrifying.

Not a fan of the tail lights. And I don't understand why you'd put such a bad ass engine in it, and then hide the exhaust! But it sure is a great little RPU.

brad2v likes this.
  14. noboD

noboD

Great looking. At least it doesn't have VW tail lights.

BJR likes this.
  15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I just wonder if the Harrel was related to the Harrel Engines A/Hot Roadster of earlier years. Hot Roadster was the class for Fuel Roadsters back in the day.

Years (many) ago at the Pomona Swap Meet there was the Harrel Engines roadster cruising the grounds under electric power. I told the owner that I had a Drag News about it setting the roadster record at 150 (???) and I'd get it to him. I did, but he didn't seem too interested. Oh, well.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

That is a hell of a lot of engine for a light little roadster pickup like that (says Captain Obvious).

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that the following trend has never stopped too this day. The Membership here is a reflection of what you are describing. You have the full spectrum. It's on full display here and challenges the Board all the time.

It's still the most Traditional Hotrod/Custom atmosphere I experience as in true life here it's very limited...by that I am saying I run a pre 65 vintage in a land of Billet or Bone Stock...even examples much like J posted are near as rare as my own.

18. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Always liked that pickup. Again, he wasn't concerned with following the crowd. The engine choice reminds me of the saying, if some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough. I have friends who would say, you don't need that much horse power, or OMG he's running slicks, and those who would never run an engine with solid lifters. How about the work necessary to keep the Americans shiney. Love it. We need more hot rods.

brad2v likes this.
  19. BJR

BJR

Or Mustang tail lights.

20. catdad49

catdad49

Hey, it's got 'non commercial' plates, but I bet it can still haul the 'goods'! This would still be plenty cool today. I would like to go for a ride, anybody else?

brad2v likes this.
  21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'd argue the exposed exhaust is one of the current trends.

Gotgas likes this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Gotgas too...

I was thinking the same thing, but then I noticed that it has big ol' tube headers painted VHT black exiting right beneath the door. I would have opted for a different color, but good to see that they're there!

23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.