Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Duvall frame casting, how to prep for glass?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PurHell, Oct 5, 2018.

1. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

I’ve got got an older Duvall aluminum frame casting. I’m trying to find the “correct way” to cut and channel it for glass. I haven’t had any luck searching out the process, only how to mount to the cowl. Thanks for any help on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2258.JPG The groove in my windshield was cut on a Bridgeport. It is about 1/4" deep and slightly over 1/4" wide. A glass shop should be able to tell you just what they want.

dana barlow and Hnstray like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I've seen guys say (but I've never tried it) that you can cut aluminum with woodworking tools with carbide bits. Maybe get a good router and route the groove into it?

4. Te alum framework is modle specific,,,,not a universal fit to all roadsters.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That doesn't really address his question about how to cut and channel it for glass, does it?

6. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

She’s a Beauty! Talking to a Glass shop is probably a good idea before cutting. I did find late last night Speedway’s instructions for the thickness of the glass. I think theirs ’s 6 or 6.6 mill off the top of my head.

Cutting that groove is going to be interesting, I’ll have to check in with some of my machinist buddies. I have a mill but I’m not sure what the best way to tackle that cut is? The other part that has me a bit baffled..it looks like on the outside edge of the frames they have a dog leg cut to screw through and lock down the glass. The straight cut in the middle seems relatively easy.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2268.JPG IMG_2266.JPG I think my machinist friend sort of cut the groove freehand. I think he had a bearing that went against the frame that helped him with the depth of cut. After the groove was cut, I made patterns for the glass shop out of 1/4" lauan plywood. The glass is held in with silicone. The glass shop can help you with the correct adhesive.

PurHell and dana barlow like this.
  8. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I`d dog it down to the mill table and walk around it w/ a keyway cutter.

PurHell and alanp561 like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

I'm guessing he doesn't have access to a mill, otherwise he probably wouldn't have asked the question. Maybe he can make a new friend who has a mill?

10. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

refer to post #6

11. alchemy

alchemy

Oh. Maybe he can make a new friend who has experience with a mill.

12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I can see how that would be beneficial.

13. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Wood working tools work on aluminum

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. At the risk of being pedantic, the frame we are seeing is not a Duvall. It is more of a Hallock style.

Special Ed likes this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

And some time to kill!

16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looks in your nice photo,that you have a top?,I'm interested in how the windshield header is made an how it holds to windshield ???Thanks

17. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1994.JPG I don't have very good pictures of the top but it's made of maple and oak. (I wanted it to be like the old woodie roofs). I used steel to join the windshield header parts together in the center. That steel piece is also a way to connect the top to the windshield in the center. I will also have steel connectors to the windshield side posts but I am still working on the design.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Very interesting,nice work too,thanks !

19. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Thanks for all the replies .. yeah I do have the mill, I’m probably capable of cutting the channel..still feel better if I can sucker my machinist buddy. I could see a router with the carbide bit probably working pretty well for the channel too. When I looked at the photos of a finished Duvall windshields the outside post has kind of overlap cut into the aluminum to screw through and hold the glass. That’s the one that really has me puzzled. What way to cut that without losing a lot of material? It must be something obvious that I’m not thinking of ...

20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Hmmm....Aren`t there very small counter-sunk screws that attach through the top piece and into the cowl posts ? Maybe have your machinist pal cut a mortise/tenon on those pcs. and drill/tap with them clamped together.

21. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Yep.. he told me to bring it by and hell take a look. I was surprised he didn’t have a really good answer for cutting that overlap without losing a lot of material. If worse comes to worse I guess I’ll break out the jeweler saw...

22. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And I guess that would be a tongue and groove or some sort of half-lap joint...Some carpenter I am...………...

23. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Yeah, looks like a half-lap joint 3/4”-1” I’m guessing.. i’m with you, I’m no carpenter.. I like metal, you can always weld it back like the ‘ol man use to say...

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I snagged some 3/8" x 3/8" x 3/8" 20 ga. steel channels at work years back...
    you could clear a 3/8" wide flat along the upper and inner surfaces... drill small holes for tapping, countersink 'em...
    slightly enlarge the matching channel holes and punch or hammer a clearance "dent"...
    now tap the w/s holes to anchor the channels... use countersunk screws...
    must be wider at the top [3*] to let the glass be dropped/ forced down...
    this should let the glass fit flat across the bottom of the channel...
    use stainless, aluminum or paint it to match something... HIH...

PurHell likes this.