Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early 24 Stud to RTS Transmission Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flathead26T, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

I'm starting to collect parts for my 29 Tudor build which I will be starting a thread on soon. I am picking up a early 40s 24 stud motor tomorrow and am planning on putting an 80's F150 T-170 RTS behind it so I can have an overdrive. I will be getting a hogshead to bolt the 2 together. I have been doing some research but haven't been able to find out if it matters if I use the 2wd or 4wd version and what the differences are between the two. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll need the two wheel drive version as it will have a tailshaft for a slip yoke. The 4WD will have the tailshaft and housing that is configured to bolt to the transfer case. The rear of the transmissions are two completely different animals.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

I should have also added that I would like to still use the torque tube and driveshaft that I currently have. I know it will need to be cut down a little to fit.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that makes it more difficult. Here's a picture of an adaptation that keeps the torque tube and uses a Jeep T5 transmission.
    Jeep Tube.JPG

5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

photo3.jpg This is the 4wd version, if that helps you any.

6. Get ahold of @Kato Kings They may be able to help.

7. I’m using a 1984-1987 Ford Rug RTS (BV) T170 3 Spd+ Overdrive Trans in my Original 1932 Ford Steel Roadster Pickup. Stock Front Crossmember, Stock K-Member, & Stock Model A Rear Cross-member. I’m using a Halibrand G-101a Model A Type Quick-change Rear End. I’ll be using Stock 1932 B Torque Tube. The Transmission Adapter To my torque Tube is a (M.E.C.) Model Engineer-ing Co. Owner is Gene Sanders of Akron, Oh. He’s a Tool, Die, & Pattern maker. It’s him & his Son. What you need to know is that there’s 3 Different ratio’s Of overdrive gears for this Trans. A 27 Percent, a 37 Percent & a 41 percent. Look back to my trans code description. The BV on the Steel Trans Code stands for the 27 Percent ratio, on trans Tag. I’m told by the Model A Guys this is the best Ratio to use. The 37 & 41 Ratio’s are the higher Horsepower V/8 Engines. Gene’s Adapter the last time I Purchase years ago was $125.00 + Shipping. I was told that this is the procedure to do on using nag the Adapter. Take the Tail-shaft Cone off, showing you the rear main shaft. Use your universal joint, putting it beside the Main shaft to get a measurement of the length, to be Cut. Then Mark it where the cut us to be made. Don’t cut it. Take the length of the main shaft, have your machinist to spline from the end to where your universal joint is m, to nearest the Trans Case. After the splined has be done. Then Double check your measurements before the Final cut. Gene is very Talented, & makes several Trans Adapters, ex. A pair of Steel Stock Brake & Clutch Pedals with Aluminum Mounting Bracket, a Bolt on 2 or 3 Hole Master Cylinder Bracket, that bolts on to the K-Member.a Pair Chassis Aluminum boxing Plates that is Bolt-on to Chassis. I’ll be using it in my Chassis, also makes a Aluminum Brackets to use 1936 Ford Radius Rods. His bracket bolts on the back of Stock k-Member in 32, Stock 33/34 Center cross-menber, 35/36 Center Crossmember. Just remove the Mechanical Brake Relay. Uses stock ford Bolt holes, then attach aluminum Bracket for 35/36 Rear Radius Rods. This is a easy way to have a open drive rear end. He’s got a website listing with pictures & prices. He really needs to update his website, as he’s got many products not listed. His brackets are very reasonably Priced. The information I’ve provide to making the cutting of main-shaft, was provided by a Gentleman in East Texas. He’s was in business many years selling his own steel brackets, mainly to model a Guys. He had articles on Ford barn, offering his brackets & selling his kits. So, you can use a Closed Drive or open Drive use gene’s products. BigDTexasKid

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  8. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Thanks for the input. I did know there were different ratios for the trans and planned on going with the 27. I will try and get a hold of M.E.C. and find out about the adapter. I am pretty sure that I understand what you are saying. I will be the one doing all of the machining when it comes time to that as I access to a full machine shop.

9. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Thank you for the info. I will be searching for a 2wd trans

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're sticking with the torque tube, I think the four wheel drive version would lend itself to easier conversion, as it has a flange on the rear that the adapter could be bolted to.

Check with M.E.C and see which trans they recommend.