Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods With a Hood or without?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 4, 2018.

?
  1. I prefer a hood

61 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No hood for me

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  3. I just run a hood top

45 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. When several of my fellow club members meet for lunch on Thursdays my pal Gary showed up in his '34 Ford coupe without the hood, I had never seen the car hoodless but he said he needed it off to do some repairs, I thought the car looked pretty cool without the hood.

It got me to thinking how many of you prefer your car or truck hood-less, or with a hood?

I feel certain most have a opinion on what type of car or truck looks better with a hood a hood and what doesn't, photo's of your cars or trucks to make your point would be cool. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 33-34 running a 33-34 grill looks better with a hood top. If it's channeled and running a 32 grill they look good either way.
    It's the flavor of the whole build that determines the hood looks better on the car or left in the garage.

joel, MO54Frank, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I like hoodless on my A.
    31 coupe side.jpg

my31ford4.jpg

4. I have just the top on my 34 truck because the 348 is so wide it sticks out the sides. I like it with the motor showing.

i.JPG

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To my mind anything after 34 (well maybe 35) without a hood looks like it should be in the shop getting work done on the motor. An early hot rod does not necessarily need a hood.

joel, Hotrodmyk, 3W JOHN and 8 others like this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

Depends on the car for me. My '37 Chevy pickup currently has a Jimmy 302 inline six and I prefer the full hood. When I re-engine it down the road with a Latham superchargered Buick 322 Nailhead, the sidedraft Carter carbs will not fit the confines of the hood. I'm still debating with myself over the hood sides. Eliminate completely or fabricate hood blisters. Haven't decided on headers yet and that may make the decision for me.

j3harleys, 3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, an earlier car the hood is optional although I prefer with the top. Later cars not so much. Bonus with the early car it's not a commitment , what look do I like today.

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. louisb

louisb

Pretty much have to run at least a hood top here in Florida. Rains to much. (Assuming you drive your car in the rain.) Nice thing about a hood, you can always take it off.

--louis

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  9. 392

74BFA204-B1CB-4355-B882-ABC201C4DD60.jpeg No hood for now. I’d like to try and make one down the road.

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I voted hoodless, which definitely is my preference on an early hot rod. Hoodless and fenderless! I prefer having the engine sitting out there naked and proud!

But I recall reading about a car club back in the 40's - 50's, and the club rule was going without a hood was fine for around town, but club road trips required hoods installed. I thought that was an interesting insight into those days.

11. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

how else ya gunna see where all your money went...............
    [​IMG]

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Well running a bellybutton would definitely form my decision. But if it’s an early OHV that too would be a driving factor.
    Now with the 37 I went both ways with the VIB.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. A hood would be sinful on my son's hot rod....... may 17 2009.1.JPG

14. 34Larry

34Larry

Oh I don't know about that. Depends. I like mine both ways and I ran it mostly this year with it off. Got just many favorable coments as I did with it on. Hemi is pretty hidden on, where with it off more of it is out in view, which a lot of folks seem to like. Would like to post pic's but not HAMB friendly.

j3harleys, chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

I don't mind a good looking "girl" going topless!

16. Topless is for a different day & thread. HRP

17. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoods belong in jail!

18. NOOOOOOOO!Can't tell what that topless creature is:eek:.

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  19. My old beater looks much better with a hood, I have the stereotypical sbc and it's not dressed up so I retain the hood, It is a original 25 louver type. HRP

20. Don, If my engine looked that good I wouldn't have a hood on my car ether. HRP

chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN and 56don like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

HRP, should have said "hoodless". My only excuse is that I've been "unsupervised" going on two weeks! Wife is away tending to her ill sister.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the car in question.
    here is mine with the hood
    upload_2018-10-4_13-6-37.png
    and almost the same angle without the hood
    upload_2018-10-4_13-7-9.png
    I had to take off the hood to re-jet the 97's. Looks cool "sans hood" but I prefer it with the hood top. No sides ever, nothing in there I want to hide.

Oh, and no hood scoop! (sorry, different thread)

23. F&J

F&J

Ok, you strayed in the mind, of the other hot rod"thing" in life...

.....so, let me explain the whole deal with no hood at all, on a hotrod with a cooool assed motor..

"What if John Holmes always wore pants?"

My hood top will never go back on, and I do drive in rain, and got caught in a snowsquall... but I will never be seen without pants. :oops:

24. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Bandit, I vote yes on hood top on your rod.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Depends, and I'm not talking about waterproof undies either.
    For the most part I'm partial to the full hood look, but I'll give a pass if I see a nice car sans hood as long as it has a good looking engine.
    There is one situation where a hood can completely throw off a cars look, that is when the hood to cowl matchup is off or the grille shell is either too high or too low and the flow lines of the hood are interupted.

chryslerfan55, Jet96, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^totally agreed! I spent 3 months making sure my hood didn't ride "uphill".

27. dudley32

dudley32

me too...

3W JOHN likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A friend of mine had this car some years back and I always thought it looked good without the hood sides on.

20181004_134500.jpg

29. No hood. I have one but , WIN_20170423_12_33_10_Pro.jpg I can not bring myself to chop a hole in it. LOL. Blower needs to be in the wind.

30. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.