Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration YOM license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Mike

Mike

I run a '61 Arizona number plate on my Deuce Tudor. Through AZ DMV, I ordered personalized number plates with the same numbers that appear on my '61 number plate. I run the '61 number plate with current tags on the car, and I carry the official issue plates inside the car. It's not quite proper, but if a Police officer runs my plate number for some reason, it's reported back to the officer as an AZ specialty plate with my number, so they see no reason to be bothered about it.

kbgreen, chevy57dude and squirrel like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I have wondered if you could get away with that. I've thought of doing it, myself.

3. I'd like to try that in IL. I have a nice pair of 1961 plates, but the last I checked that number was already in use.

Phil

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I just moved to denver this week from omaha where I had yom plates. I have a yom colo plate. do you know what I have to do to switch over?? 2015-03-06 20.42.37.jpg

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

6. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

My 48 Chevy has a Wa. 1947 plate because the didn't issue 1948 plates. What they did was issue a sticker you put on the inside of the windshield. Also the 47 plate was made of aluminum. 077.jpg

7. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ABB37E0A-DB2F-4C90-A858-50015D374D50.jpeg 50BFC42A-A53B-48C6-ADDD-E7BA9BB0A9CA.jpeg California...piece a cake. Bought em, 1 trip to DMV and about 3 weeks later, registration came. Cal even sends two small metal plates to hold the year and month tags as the originals had no place for them. I found frames that had this built in so didn’t need the tag holders.

8. Apparently, it works just fine in Wisconsin......not that I would EVER do something like put '61 plates (with a '62 sticker on them) on the '35 Chevy, and keep the matching personalized new plate in the glove box. Just sayin'.

:)

9. I think they are supposed to be Packers green and gold, but the color matching was done by a color blind drunk!

10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

thanks, maybe next summer we can meet up at a show or somewhere, my car is still in nebr, wont bring it here til I buy a house with a garage

11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

also what about getting a colo title, have a clear nebr title showing vin stamped on frame

12. adam401

adam401

So weird I was just looking up the rules here in CT like 2 minutes ago then saw this thread.
    Its a little weird to run a 34 plate on my 34 coupe because its a hot rod and not restored but still better looking than a modern antique plate to me.
    Guess I'm on the hunt for a pair of 1934 CT plates.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Running an improper Tag in some states constitutes a felony. Whats the point of running a 61 Tag on a Duece Tudor in the first place? Am I missing something? Definitely not worth a trip to the Pokey.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    i.rant and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because if its built in the 1961 period Hotrod Style a 1961 plate is totally fitting...

1932 plates are for a showroom car off the dealer floor in 1932 not a 1961 era Hotrod

Case in Point The Ole Hotrod I have is built in a flavour of 1962 so I'd really like to run 1962 plates...but the province says no I can't they have to be 1929 or nothing. Get it? It sucks Bigtime...

Again it is a Plate # they run not the year of plate so if the Plate # is cleared what damn difference does it matter what I put it on a 47 Ford, 50 Chev, 29 Ford heck what ever I register the plate to it will be documented in the registration process...maddening.

I reread and the poster got vanity plates ordered with the same numbers to match his 61 plates...Kinda clever

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    TagMan and pprather like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YOM is stupid but you can't argue with stupid...but old car people have that as the only choice depending on locale.

Upsides if the plate for your YOM looks cool and your okay with it great and of course it helps the curious know what year your 1959 styled 1934 Ford Hotrod actually is.

Downside I guess depending on year it might cost more denieros to buy 1932 or 34 plates very sought after due to YOM program so more money to spend...

I don't think its cute to have the year of manufacture plate on my Hotrod (I'd of liked 61,62,63)...It really almost seems a Antique Original Car Enthusiast Drummed up idea that went viral...Real Viral...to heck with them Hoodlum Hotrodders...we're to picky...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    pprather likes this.
  16. Dave B.

Dave B.

I live in Southern Ohio and currently have YOM plates on 3 cars. While I don't intentionally abuse the regulations, I do drive the cars whenever I want/need to. I've never been stopped or questioned about where I was going and, as far as I know, none of my friends who run historic/YOM plates have either. I'd have to agree, though, that if you were driving like a jerk, the YOM plates would make pulling you over a bit easier.

Unrelated, but... I don't know if you can see them in this photo, but the rear plate on my '51 is attached with fasteners that have faceted glass reflectors in them. I know that my dad used these two fancy bolts to attach the rear plates on his '39 and '51 Chevy daily-drivers back when I was a little shaver. When he traded in the '51, he must have tossed them into a can on the workbench, because that's where I found them years after he passed. When I bought the YOM plates for my '51, I remembered seeing them on his workbench and decided that using them on my car would be an appropriate use for them. I get some good comments from old-timers at cruise-ins and shows - none of the younger crowd remember when they were common.
    [​IMG]

pprather likes this.
  17. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I was told that this '46 Plate is the original one. The previous owner said his Uncle bought the car new. When I transferred the title I asked the girl at the DMV if she could verify that, she said Mn. only goes back 10 years on they're Records so she could not. I run it on the front just because I think the year car/ plate thing is kinda kool. Did the same with the '34, '40 and '55. It's not legal here to run both Plates but the Man hasn't put the Cuffs on me yet so I'll keep doing it until they do! IMG_0975[2287].jpg IMG_2217[2919].jpg

18. I honestly don't think YOM is stupid, but I had a 1962 California black plate on the front of my '40 Ford sedan since South Carolina doesn't require a front tag and I got sick & tired of explaining why I was running the tag, to suggest the era at least when ask about the car it was built at a Ford plant in 1932.

Whatever floats your boat. HRP

Stogy and Gman0046 like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your right it's not stupid for Spot On Antique Vintage Cars...but it's not in the least or remotely close to period correct and never will be and quite frankly we should have the option.

It is technically a law or government stipulation that makes one scratch your head and it sinks my boat.

I live with it I have my funny stupid plate and life goes on...externally the Ole Hotrod I drive is actually quite period correct even though it is an inspired Hotrod however the plate isn't and wouldn't be either way.

Where were you in 62? It'll never be on my car.

20. I was born in 1950, we all like different stuff and I suppose some just don't want to run a Year of Manufacture plate and that's OK by me, I personally wanted to run the 1932 plate on my 1932 sedan (The Iodine State) because it is unique , Brenda wanted a 1954 Ford tag on her 1954 Ranch Wagon, I didn't want the same mundane tag that every other Tom, Dick & Harry has on there Toyota & Honda.

I have had personalized tags but the look the same as our current state tags just with what I wanted it to say.

And I certainly didn't want a antique auto tag, with all it's limatations

495_460x460_Front_Color-NA.png Antique.png

I haven't seen any state or providence offer a YYWYCTR tags but possibly if enough people petitioned the DMV's and their elected officials around the country or in BC it might become a reality.

I remember writing to our elected officials in our state capital in Columbia, S.C. in the 70's about a YOM license plate and with hundreds of others and the finally with the help of senator that was also a hot rodder the bill was finally submitted and it passed about 10 years.ago.

Again, it may not be every ones cup of tea but it works for me, Here in S.C. many of us have dreamed of getting the bill passed and I'm glad I can run a YOM license plate, made the same year as my car. HRP

upload_2018-10-4_13-31-57.jpeg

upload_2018-10-4_13-32-19.jpeg

Stogy likes this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Love my YOM

CHOP A 001.JPG

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. The problem with the new plates here in California is they are f'ing hideous, flat silk screened "California", too many digits all on a white reflective background. But you can now buy a "new" vintage looking black plate for you hot rod here.

BigDogSS and Stogy like this.
  23. RmK57

RmK57

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take you may have been running YOM on the back and a period plate on the front...also you are running a plate up front that you apparently don't require...

These will generate responses not even related to what your trying to convey...

People looking at our cars are not generally knowledgable whether there is an identifying YOM plate or not...People ask me what year my ride is and I say 1929...next question usually is is it original? To anyone here they know what kind of questions they are...I'm not going to give praise that the plate helps figure out what the car is...that masks the point I am making...

I will tell you the YOM program here was a change to what formerly had allowed registering any year of vintage plate to an older vehicle. They improved the program...I disagree...they buggered it up and heck I am not going to canvas parliament to change the asinine decision. I have better things to do than argue with the masses. Very few even here see a problem it sorta makes one shake their head...

That said there are many other leiniencies I have with this Hotrod so I am just stating my position on YOM on Traditional Hotrod/Customs...its technically stupid and incorrect.

By the way my Vanity plates are not butt ugly as what you posted and I have no restriction on Driving at All. I know we've had this conversation before but it keeps popping to the top and I felt compelled to express opinion....

0_0_20180830_193258.jpg
    :rolleyes:..My Ha Ha alternative to YOM

images.jpeg

What I'd like to run but can't due to YOM rules...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think if you were doing something erratic or stupid on the road your plate would have any bearing on being pulled over...that would be the last thing they would notice.

Cool Chevy @Dave B.

26. At the time I had the California plate on the front we didn't have YOM, this was in the '70's.

And yes, I get ask all the time what make & year my car is, a blue oval on the grille shell & a 1932 tag on the rear and I still get ask from time to time is it a Chevorlet or better yet is it a glass car. :rolleyes:

We all have opinions, nothing written in stone that you or I are wrong, we just see this in a different light. HRP

Stogy likes this.
  27. With that settled, we can move on.

Phil

BigDogSS likes this.
  28. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I stated earlier that I just moved to Colorado, but Nebraska has a good system, yom plate must be same as car year...pay a 1-time fee of $85 & you NEVER have to re-register the plate as long as you own the car...also if you have multiple cars, each subsequent plate registration goes down by $10 til it bottoms out at $55

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

What is it that some people don't understand about the term YOM Tags? Doesn't YOM mean year of manufacture? Anyone seeing a 61 Tag on a 34 Ford most folks will never understand the owners reasoning behind it. Would it be OK to use a 60, 62 or 63 Tag or must it be only a 61?
    I thought the title of this HAMB thread is YOM Tags? When it gets right down to it, I doubt anyone really cares what year Tag you put on your car? What ever makes you happy.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  30. I thought that the two points of view agreed to disagree and still be Rodder friends.

Phil

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Stogy likes this.