Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. I'm learning that if I really want to get anything done, I need to "eat the elephant" 1 bite at a time... any time I have a free moment (30-60 minutes), I'll throw on the work clothes and try to get one thing done- it's been fun stepping back and seeing the progress over time :D

52plybizcoupe, brad2v, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Music to my ears! I'm tuned in, now let's see those updates :D

scootermcrad likes this.
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I think I have a way to host photos now, and since I've actually been working on this thing, I guess I should put a reminder out there of what it is this car looks like. Here's a few cell phone teasers from last weekend. Work continues this weekend...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't go into the nitty gritty of what needs to get done, but to put it in a nut shell, right now I'm focusing on getting the paint done before the weather becomes too hot and humid. When the weather is too bad for body/paint work I have a small pile of fabrication projects to do, but I'm going to run out of decent weather if I don't stay focused on body/paint.

THEN! Then I can focus on getting the clutch and throw-out bearing setup, get a drive shaft made, finish all the plumbing (brakes, fuel, clutch), electrical, misc. fabrication, few things that need to get addressed on the engine, and on and on... LOTS to do. The list is huge, in and among the big ticket items. I'll just keep pushing...

In the background, I'm juggling being a Dad, a husband, a home restorer, and I also need to get some of my machine tools up and running again. Endless list and lots to juggle.

Stogy, Tim_with_a_T, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Any changes being made metalwork wise? I know with my coupe there are a few things I want to address looking back at work from 8 years ago.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a lot of things that I did before I owned real metal shaping tools or had the skills to use them. If time were no object I would probably redo a few things I did, but don't really NEED to and it would be pretty foolish at this point. I would be doing it just for my own personal satisfaction and the project would just drag on even longer than it has so far. At some point a person just has to say, "Enough! There's always next time (or next build)."

I'm just thankful I've learned as much as I have. The REALLY difficult part has been sticking to the plan and not just ditching the whole project because my tastes have changed. I've accumulated quite a few neat projects since moving to NC and I really look forward to doing something with them, but not until this thing is done.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Stogy, brad2v, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you are back at it, it is one of my favorite HAMB Builds. What is the door window height, or amount of the chop, some day I'll cutting my Fordor. Bob

scootermcrad likes this.
  8. That's great to hear Scott! The Old North State Invitational is coming up this fall – I better see this car there (and not on a trailer).

scootermcrad and loudbang like this.
  9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s the goal, Dave! Old North State Invitational. We just might get to have the ol’ slants sit next to each other!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob,
    I believe I did a 4” chop. I’ll have to verify, though. Been 10 or 11 years since I did it, I think. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. pwmcx95, Lil'Alb, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man! Glad something I posted here was helpful in some way. Congrats on your build!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And since this got bumped, I guess I should say something about the build...

If anyone takes anything (else) away from this stupid build, please take away a small piece of advice. Here it is:

If you love to DRIVE hot rods, but also love to BUILD hot rods and fabricate, and all that great stuff, make sure you have something on the road already BEFORE trying to tackle a multi-year build. Especially if you are planning on having a family, or ANY other projects outside of this. This has been challenging in so many ways and now I'm just trying to get my C10 on the road while I try to finish this thing so I have something to enjoy and use and participate in events. It's easy to get trapped in a project like this (time-wise, financially, mentally, etc.). I basically resent the car, on some level. There's no turning back at this point, though. More than anything, I miss driving hot rods and old cars in general. Putting all my eggs into this basket, so many years ago, has come back to get me. I guess that should be obvious by the 12+ years I think it's been, now. I literally started this project at another time in my life.

Thank you all for your support. Still going...

Drewfus, D-Russ, IowaMercMan and 17 others like this.
  14. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

In many ways I'm in your same boat. I feel as though I will never get my car done, especially now with a house that needs my resources as well as a constantly present question of "How did I end up here?" state in life. I think it's important to finish what was started, but I'm becoming more and more conscious of how much time and money disappears into thin air.... just in general.... hot rodding doesn't seem that important most of the time. My new motivational motto is: It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to get done.
    Don't get discouraged. Count the number of people on this planet who could replicate what you have done in ANY amount of time.... your car is your own unique creation. Be proud of what you've accomplished and how many people were inspired by your work. It will get done. We believe in you!

RICH B, Blue One, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  15. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

At some point in a build I think most hit that point of resentment. Especially after a long stall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's very sound advice. My family, friends and I hammered out my '50 Ford in a quick few months about 7 years ago (!). The plan was get it on the road so I can build my T tudor. Living in Flint, MI at the time, we kinda saw the writing on the wall. Moved, got into home projects, kids grew (needed things), home maintenance stuff...etc. My T still sits waiting. I'll get to it. In the meantime I still have my Shoebox to enjoy.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! One of my biggest struggles is MYSELF! I tend to be a perfectionist, and so I fight everything I've done that isn't to how I envisioned it to be. I have finally given myself a line where there's no reason to look back, only forward. My fabrication skills and available tools changed 10-fold during this build, also. Yet ANOTHER reason not to allow it to go on, if critical of one's self. I can make things now that I never would have attempted in the beginning. So it's all a viscous circle. I'm my own worst enemy in this project because of the nature of the situation. The hardest part is explaining to people that haven't lived through a long-term build like this. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me, "Just put it together and drive it", I would be a wealthy man with a nice large shop to work out of. HAHA

In the end, if it weren't for this build I NEVER would have been as involved with the HAMB as I have been and met some of the greatest people. I probably wouldn't be where I am today physically and even from a career standpoint if it weren't for the connections I've made here and the things I have learned. The HAMB has changed a bit over the years, but the people that have gravitated to this forum, still are basically the same.

That got long-winded. Thank you all for the continued support on a project that still needs so much work. I feel like when this is all over, I'm going to write about everything I have gone through during this build. Everything that can be expected from dragging something out "too long".

Just Gary, treb11, D-Russ and 11 others like this.
  18. One day one of us will finish our project. :oops::oops::oops:

Blue One, Stogy, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Guys I know EXACTLY how you feel and I wish I didn't shoot for the moon with my first build too. I had to walk away from my shortened touring car this past Winter. I just hit a wall with it and couldn't see light at the end of the tunnel anymore. I was in an overthinking-secondguessing analysis paralysis and it was making me hate this thing I had poured so much into.

Additionally, I reached a point where I was looking at major pieces of the build that were no longer to my standards and are going to take a bunch of work to go back and re-do (like the subframe, doors, whole body, you know, the little things).

All this led me to try to put together a "quick and simple" project that was "easier" to build "by the end of the season" and I would imagine you can guess that target didn't get hit and I'm still attending car shows in the spectator lot and road tripping in the daily :oops:

But I've found you gotta learn to forgive yourself once you've learned from mistakes like these, otherwise it won't be fun or be getting done again until you do.

And not for nuthin, @scootermcrad and @Tim_with_a_T , you guys have a couple of my favorite ongoing builds anywhere. Both of these cars inspire me to improve my work and, well, GET TO WORK.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I love the advice and the talk about multi year builds. Probably because I'm still slogging away on my own 26 RPU build that I started in 2010.
    I keep setting deadlines and they keep getting missed :D
    My next deadline is to be driving next spring.
    Health issues, financial restraints and other things like family stuff are all part of the equation.

So is learning along the way and being fussy and particular (detail oriented ;):D) as well as being a one man auto builder.
    It takes a lot longer when you are the one and only guy doing everything.

A lot of people just don't understand the commitment and effort it takes to follow a build like this through to completion.
    That's in evidence from the vast number of projects that get started and then sold or abandoned.
    I always chuckle when I hear " the hard part is done" o_O Which part would that be :D

Anyway Scott keep on and I (we) will be watching like we have from the beginning.
    Larry.

1F20459B-64C6-40E0-89D6-CECD5E38363D.jpeg 9C09F27D-9A5E-4E66-A8C5-0EF65807BC3F.jpeg DC3ACCB1-AFE7-44DA-BC6B-F9CA8DC1E5CC.jpeg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Professional Procrastinator Stogy says I am with you fellas through these builds...I hate deadlines...so that is what I like about the Hamb...everyone has their own speed dictated by whatever...and I'm quite okay with it.

Project motivation and skill levels vary and it's always been this way...

So build on Ladies and Gents at your own speed...I enjoy your efforts however long it takes and understand roadblocks.

Your Hotrods looking mighty fine @scootermcrad...and I also understand the desire to drive a vintage vehicle...get that truck going to make the parts runs and finishing the other fall into place with a bigger smile.

patmanta, loudbang, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  22. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Hi Scooter, Been a long time since I have seen pictures of your Hot Rod. It looks absolutely gorgeous!
    I remember the day you came over to my house to roll those panels to eliminate your wheel wells. Stop beating yourself up and. enjoy the ride! Family, house and building that hot rod.. Too soon the children grow up and the house gets quiet. congrats on the daughter!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, you nailed it! Thanks man!!

Thanks Larry! You rule! And so does the 26!!

Thanks man!!

Been a long time, for sure!! Hope you're well! And THANK YOU!

24. I can relate to resenting the f’n thing. Been at mine 6 years! Seems like I’ve worked on it every day this summer. Just got paint on it, it’s pretty much assembly and realizing what I shoulda done,now. Everyone thinks I will be driving it tomorrow, until I list everything that’s left to do. I really need a break from this jalopy.

Walt
    Outsiders CC[​IMG]

25. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walt, that is one nice looking pickup!

patmanta and loudbang like this.
  26. @scootermcrad @Tim_with_a_T @K13 @patmanta @Blue One and @IowaMercMan , whenever you guys think you've hit a wall, don't have the time, don't have the money, don't think your early work is up to your current standards, or whatever, just think of me and Miss Vicky. I started that car in 2005. I got it on the road in sealer with no glass and no interior in about 2011, but it wasn't finished until 2016.

All along, I too questioned my early work and got sidetracked by other more important things in life. I even changed some things I considered done at one time, like swapping the 283 for the 354, swapping the lake headers for a full under-car exhaust, and cutting the back of the car apart to lean the rear window forward.

I've continued to tweak things on it like making a new headlight bar to move the headlights up and back, adding polished bell tips to the exhaust, adding a shifter boot, and most recently, a wheel and tire change. But little changes like these can be made after the car is on the road.

I think the secret to finishing a long term project is to simply keep moving forward! You can move along at a snails pace, but just do something! Divide the project up into very small jobs that you can knock out in an hour or so on weeknights. But never stop, and even more importantly, never go backwards, despite what your ego is telling you. Save the new skills for that next project.

People seem to dig Miss Vicky, both car folks and civilians, but when I look at her I see lots of things I would now do differently ..... or better – I just did the best I could at the time. And that's OK – it's done and I'm enjoying it (this weekend the odometer rolled over 8,000 miles).:)

#finishyourshit and then #driveyourshit

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  27. There is a lot to be said always keep moving forward, don’t backtrack. ...and keeping one running. You can always go back at a later date to make additional changes and corrections.

I am on my third round of updates with the 51. I spent six years on my 29 cabriolet, 2010 to 2016, but now have a list of additional items to work on. The 29 closed cabins redone about ten years ago and now has a long list of new work, but it is not a current priority.

Driving them helps you to decide what you really need to do for improvement.

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I, too, started a multi-year, very ambitious project, which is now fortunately on the road (the '40 phantom in my avatar). I would never have undertaken it myself -- I have neither the skills nor the determination -- but I found a willing builder, Don Dillard, to take on what I had imagined. I understand the resentment that you, Scooter, and the others have described, although in my case it was the never-ending expense of having somebody else working on it nearly full time. In retrospect, it was a dumb idea; I'll never recover the time or a fraction of the cost of its completion. But I'm glad I did it anyway, because the anticipation of the completed project kept me interested and energized for years even though I was just waving my arms and paying the bills. I'm very proud of the outcome, and can at least claim the idea and the design of it as my own.

Scoot, we've known each other for nearly the whole time that both projects have been going. You deserve huge praise and admiration for what you've done by yourself, and you have my enthusiastic support for getting it done!

Stogy, Thor1 and Irish Mike like this.
  29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave,
    It was great seeing you at Hurley's and finally being able to chat for a bit. Never enough time, but was great to see a fellow HAMBer that has been building in parallel. Our conversations were a good reminder of what all this is about. I almost didn't go to Old North State Invitational because of not reaching my goals, but glad that I swallowed my pride and came out to see good people. THAT is what makes it all worth it.

Tony,
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... your comment to me years ago about how difficult it is to finish a long project like this screams in my ears every time I work on this car. It's a big part of the reason I never gave up.

And as for your blue awesomeness... It really turned out EPIC! I'm hoping to come visit in December. I want to see it at breakfast! :)

patmanta, 50Fraud, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  30. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Blue One likes this.