Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bendix Front/Lockhead Rear Brakes Combination

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by G_Don, Oct 1, 2018.

1. G_Don

G_Don

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if it is possible to run Bendix front brakes with standard Lockheed rear brakes using the same master cylinder? I have later style rear lockheeds that were machined by Cling's about 6 months ago. I have pretty nice front backing plates that I could run, but from what I've read the Bendix are superior.

Running the numbers, if I go with the Boling Bros Bendix brakes from MT on the front only, the price difference from full Lockheed setup is around $250. I don't mind spending the extra $$ if it will vastly improve braking. I'm just not sure if I can run the same master cylinder, or if it is a hokey setup to have a combination of braking systems?

For what its worth, I'm running a B motor in my model A phaeton.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gordo

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I did a forty with Boling Bros brakes on all four corners. Stock 40 master. Car is in the mountains of North Carolina, He loves that it stops. Don't think if you used Lockheed in the rear you would notice any difference.

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Lockheed rear and Boling bendix fronts give me the proper front/rear braking proportions for my pre-war race car.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with them. I don't think it is going to be an issue. You pretty well have the right balance of swept area on the brake lining and in theory the Bendix should put a tad more force in to braking than the lockheed but that is theory.

5. ydopen

ydopen

I have Bendix front and Lockheed rear on 2 cars. With a spring over model A axle the rear Bendix are harder to fit. I think Boling sells backing plate and wheel spacers to fit. Easier to use Lockheed Ford.

John

6. 100% Matt

100% Matt

No problem at all. Both style brakes use a 1" bore M/C.

7. G_Don

G_Don

Cool, glad to hear that.

I'm going to end up doing Bendix in the front and the Lockheeds in the back. The MC that comes with the Boling Bros battery box is a 1-1/16". Will that be ok for the Bendix and Lockheed combination?

Its not gonna be too spongy or lock up the breaks too hard if I go with the 1-1/16" MC?

Thanks again for all your guys' help!

8. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Don't forget that the wheel cylinder diameters help to proportion the front to rear balance. There are a number of different diameter cylinders readily available to suit the Bendix system, at least 7/8" <> 1-3/16" diameter.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A larger MC bore = less pressure, but more volume (shorter pedal travel). Should not lockup the brakes easier than 1".

10. ydopen

ydopen

I use a 1" Mustang dual drum-drum master cylinder. The 1 1/16 m/c required too much pedal pressure.

John