Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why are good parts so hard to find? 1953 Oldsmobile 88

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 20, 2018.

1. I'm still trying to sort out the engine bay and the wiring, which is pretty much useless, because the wing I wouldn't trust to save my life, and the engine is missing so many parts it's not even funny. Just recently I found a second usable starter and a couple of parts distributors.

2. The irony is 10 years ago I bought a '57 Dodge loaded with old starters and generators and found most weren't worth even trying to sell.

Maybe I should go back through them and see what's what.

It wasn't that many years ago I hit a '52 Olds in the you-pick yard, all I ever took was the valve covers, steering wheel with clock, compass and the taillights with some of the fender. It was all there when it went in.

3. "If it was easy them everyone would be doing it"........or at least that's what I've been told. I almost always box myself in with a weird make, that's why I eat, sleep and dream old cars. I hit all the swapmeets (the club type swapmeets are the best), internet classifieds and eBay......it just takes time.

4. The growler....I miss using it, I need to get more equipment for home.

Old wolf likes this.
  5. I seen he put out a recient U Tube Video. He has bought a more door parts car. It had a starter that worked.

6. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yes thanks to all that have chimed in. I bought a parts car, gambling that the starter would work better than the ebay refurb garbage. so far, so good!

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  7. You know you can easily suspend a small gas tank from a lawn mower or motorcycle ect and gravety feed the carb. run a garden hose into theblock and you can let the engine run as long as you wish. I will again recommend you pull the oil pan and clean the crud from it and the pickup screen.

8. You have to ferret out a local shop, even if you have to drive 50 miles it will be worth it. The guys I use stick to auto-electrics, there are a few larger puppy-mill shops that rebuild anything from electrics to masters to carbs, but quality is spotty. they probably blow them out on eBay... There was a carb shop named Barco that you would have to go through 4 carbs before you got a good one.

9. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I ran into your video set on this car by accident, I was watching some of your corvette videos and they came up in the list. That is a great project. I'll be looking for more videos on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

I have a gas can from a lawn mower just for this! When I filled up the float bowl with gas through the vent tube I was hoping to get at least thirty seconds out of it, but it was a no go. I think the carb sat a long time without a cover, so Itll need at least taken apart and cleaned.

11. More often than not I have known good carb in my hoard I can use. I like to mix 1/2 pint of outboard motor oil with a gallon of gas for first starts . A bit of extra lube never hurts anything.