Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Who's Building a T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Pictures?

studematt and loudbang like this.
  2. Anderson

Anderson

Getting the suspension set up and drivetrain mounted.
    5F8A2225-7048-4B0D-9C17-841DCBA853C4.jpeg 2000225B-04BB-4A85-8B6F-DC54DDE87FFD.jpeg

brEad, Stogy, Hollywood-East and 10 others like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Mine is coming along.
    1F20459B-64C6-40E0-89D6-CECD5E38363D.jpeg 08AABB9F-D3D1-4C1C-82CB-A6D98B321256.jpeg 9C09F27D-9A5E-4E66-A8C5-0EF65807BC3F.jpeg 9D05DB08-A678-4911-B0BA-787AC5AA30B1.jpeg DC3ACCB1-AFE7-44DA-BC6B-F9CA8DC1E5CC.jpeg

brEad, alfin32, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  4. [​IMG][​IMG] mine is nearly a driver finally. Hopefully will fire it up this weekend god willing

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

robert4005, brEad, Stogy and 14 others like this.
  5. Anderson

Anderson

6. silent rick

silent rick

whippet grill shell?

Stogy likes this.
  7. daddio211

daddio211

Whippet... Whippet good!

Na-na-na-na-na-na
    6a00e39823afe5883301348528db54970c-500wi.jpeg

IG: roundsixeric
    FB: daddio211

8. silent rick

silent rick

are we not men?

brEad, bondojunkie and Stogy like this.
  9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

When the cream sits out too long...

bondojunkie, Stogy and Anderson like this.
  10. Anderson

Anderson

Yessir

Stogy likes this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

like lookin at a perty gurl

Stogy likes this.
  12. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Just came across this thread. So I started this one in April, body only. Built the frame and used many parts I’ve had around my shop. Seven days after it took its first trip down the road, I did a 900 mike round trip. It has been a joy to drive. After a little more shakedown, it will get torn down for paint this winter.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad, kiwi54chev, MMM1693 and 4 others like this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does anyone else out there have a left door with a lock cylinder in a T coupe or sedan? I found a really decrepit door that had one and had to graft it into my car. I have never seen another like it. I remember seeing Canadian T roadsters and touring cars with opening left doors since Canada also supplied car bodies to the RHD countries, so is this another example of this kind of practice? With this car being over 90 years old, I'm certain that none of us has first hand experience with these cars when they were new, so what have you bidding archeologists unearthed? IMG_1121.JPG

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s not original model T parts, looks like old hardware store stuff.
    Or possibly from some newer vehicle.

T s never had door handles or lock cylinders like that.

15. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm talking about the door sheet metal, not the repro lock cylinder.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I duplicated a lock onto the drivers side door as part of my T build.
    It was not that hard, but just need to attach a reinforcing plate inside the door and drill a small tapped hold in the end of the door for the barrel lock screw.
    Precision drilling and alignment is required, but slow and easy with double checking will win the day...
    So no good pic's, just what was found by accident.

Attached Files:

loudbang and MMM1693 like this.
  18. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not claiming to be an expert but I have never seen a T door or sheet metal with any kind of provision for anything but the door handle.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Closed 26/27 had a door lock on the nearside. Dunno about other years.

loudbang likes this.
  20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Given what I know now about 26/27 T doors, I much prefer the 28/29 Model A latches (key lock wise particularly), but I think I would go with bear claw latches next time.
    I believe in some other countries eventually stock latches will be outlawed in hot rods.
    I'd like to see more threads posted covering bear claw installs in detail in both Model A's & T's...

loudbang likes this.
  21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I don't recall all the details now, but the inner support panel that is required, I used some sticky panel sealastic stuff to set it in place, as I could not spot or tack weld it for fear of damaging panel work and primer.

loudbang likes this.
  22. daddio211

daddio211

Wife's roadster as of last night....

IG: roundsixeric
    FB: daddio211

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The stock style latches are perfect in the tiny doors of my 26 RPU.
    I used brand new reproduction parts and they work perfectly.
    I thank god I don’t live in a police state type country that would outlaw something as minor as door latches :rolleyes:

GuyW, fiftyv8, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  24. GuyW

GuyW

loudbang likes this.
  25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

That was interesting to read. I'd really like to see more info on 1924/25 closed car latches, especially how that internal lock lever works.

MMM1693 and loudbang like this.
  26. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Russ how you doing! I feel like a idiot now because I would have bet money on no locks period. I am going to have to go thru all my pics when I did my doors because I just don't remember any locks.

loudbang likes this.
  27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am improving weekly thanks.
    Nothing to be concerned about with those locks Dan.
    I will tell folks who maybe considering purchasing or already have purchased repro 26/27 closed cab latches, to beware as there was a time back a couple of years now where latches with the lock mechanism inside were not working right.
    So when the barrel was installed it would not lock the latch as there was an issue inside the main latch body.
    I did a repair on mine and advised the selling outlet from which I purchased my repro latches about the problem and how to repair it, but I don't know if it was ever corrected...

I'll try and find the email I sent them with instructions on how to fix it.

loudbang likes this.
  28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I found the information that I sent to the Agent who sold me those repro 26/27 T latches, which were also used in 28/29 pickups.
    Below is what I wrote:
    The repro latches you sell for the Closed Cab pickup 1928/29 have a problem.
    If you install the outside lock barrel, the new latches won't let the barrel be fully rotated and hence the key can not be removed in the locked position.
    Therefore, they are unable to be locked as they should.
    I have a pair that I purchased from you and now that I am installing them, I discover this issue/fault.
    I am not complaining about the problem as I have worked out what is the cause and I can fix them here at home.
    However, some of your other customers may not be quite as talented as me in that regard.
    The problem is inside the latch body, the main latch hinge pin that supports the catch/tongue that engages with the door pillar, is too long and the head is stopping the full travel movement of the locking cam operated by the key barrel.
    Sadly, the whole mechanism needs to be opened and disassembled, the pin removed and shortened to a minimum length to obtain the clearance needed to achieve full free movement.
    The head of the hinge pin is the interfering problem and sits high as the pin is too long and the lower mechanism which is operated by the door handle hits the over length hinge pin and forces the head up which then clashes with the locking cam.

MMM1693, loudbang and AndersF like this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You didn’t name the company so what use is this information?

Depending on the company it’s a toss up whether they acted on your information or just filed it in file 13.

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I don't know which company made them, because there is more than one manufacturer I am told, so all I could do was pass the information back thru the selling agent who buys from the manufacturer.
    Other thing is naming the manufacturer would not be possible for me, because there are no markings to indicate who makes these repro latches and I was not privy to that wholesale sale info.
    It is highly likely all agents source their latches from both makers and it is still a toss up.
    I've done my part and now shared it on the HAMB with the fix info, so I am happy with that.
    No need to thank me...