Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lake Style Headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tut Cruella, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Tut Cruella

Tut Cruella

How many out there are running Lake Style headers on their Chevy 350 V8 small block engine? I am interested in getting a pair and was wondering what brand you have (recommend), how do you like them, what don't you like about them, any increase in engine performance, etc.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

ROCKER77 and Blue One like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the car, Fenderless they look ok but are like belly buttons now. On a full fender car they look like the owner is trying to hard to have his car look like a race car, and look stuck on rather than an integral part of the build.
    Main thing as any part you put on a hot rod, do they fit in with the rest of the whole build and become a working part of the complete picture or do they look stuck on as an afterthought when you stand back and look at the complete picture. There shouldn't be one thing on the car that makes everything else look like a background for it nor should there be anything that just doesn't fit the build.

My buddy often used the term "it's so radical" meaning that 99.9 % of the time there was something on the car that was totally out of place but he thought it made it look radical such as a tunnel ram sticking through the hood of a chopped 50 Cadillac sedan.

I ran a 5 buck pair of used lakes headers on my T bucket back in the mid 70's when my friends told me that they were too "old fashioned" for a 70's hot rod. The headers looked good but my cobbled on muffler setup looked like hell warmed over when I sit here an think about it.

Jet96 and lurker mick like this.
  4. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Matt all the way.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The way it nearly never was,trendy stuff going on. I like custom headers,but ,if they blacken/or burn your doors.its like sign "Poorly engineered ", So running more down an out is good,still there is a need for more custom, not copy cat headers. Even so I understand not wishing to build your own. It's a lot of work. In the end do what makes you smile looking at your car n have tons fun.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think Mr48chev hit the proverbial nail on the head:)

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think if you take Mr Barlow and Mr48chev advice and pair them together you will end with a hot rod you will be please with.

8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I have a set of Matt’s headers for sale on the HAMB classified section. They are for SBC with baffles and turn outs for less than Matt sold them to me.[​IMG]
    They are coated with Gibbs so won’t rust.[​IMG][​IMG]
    PM me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and Texas Webb like this.
  9. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ya beat me to it dino . i was going to suggest checking your classified.

Dino 64 likes this.
  10. hoodprop

hoodprop

Dino 64 likes this.
  11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

12. Tut Cruella

Tut Cruella

Thanks everyone! I too agree with Mr48Chev that they should work with the car - and I think they will. I'll call Matt and text Dino64.