Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Corvette (I'm the new tire fryer)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Not a day goes by that I don't regret getting rid of my 59 in a divorce settlement. If you think a divorce is imminent......hide the car!:(

OahuEli and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I'm sure it's a great car to cruise in! Who wouldn't enjoy it?
    "Give me your Corvette" ? Joe

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LowKat and enloe like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You are RELENTLESS Joe:)

LowKat and oldsjoe like this.
  4. Joe is cheap......I would offer money.....when I can scrounge some up..

oldsjoe likes this.
  5. Not today

Sorry about your '59. What a way to go.

I hated watching our 1962 drive off with the new owner 25 years ago and replayed that scene in my mind many times. Don't really think about it anymore.

Been married since 1973. Divorce will never happen, but if it does....
    I'm loading the Vette with shorts, t-shirts, a few tools and heading tropical.

108_0883.JPG

6. Been working on the stainless moldings for the new hardtop. I ended up taking pieces from both tops to make one nice one. This included swapping the back windows. ugggg.

I have one more full day to have the moldings done. (for one top)

The stainless work is so time consuming. Some of the pieces have hundreds of hammer strikes from the backside to bang the dents out. I like the polishing part but hate the sanding after it's had the dents beat out and been filed to smooth out the high spots.

DSC01489.jpg

The hammer I used looks big in the picture but is actually the size of a tack hammer.
    DSC01496.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

Lots of sanding.
    After the file job, I used 220 grit (shown),
    then wet sanded with 320, 500, 800, 1000 and finally 1200.
    DSC01495.jpg
    Still needs a little more polish but you get the idea.
    DSC01505.jpg

I found this thread on the Corvetteforum very helpful.
    https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-brain-dump-on-restoring-my-1958-hardtop.html

Also videos on YouTube from The Glassworks
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXXcijKfr9Hr7SBGrbqGg3w

Glassworks has a valuable video showing the header stainless removal.

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Been there with stainless it's a slow tedious process. Can't be in a hurry or you'll be there even longer! Your doing great work makes hours go by quickly doesn't it! But I have to ask because I'm an ass but. " GIVE ME YOUR CORVETTE?" Joe

loudbang and enloe like this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark it is looking good. Redoing the moldings is time consuming but I find it an OK job because the good results makes it worthwhile-it does not make you want to have a drink if you have a degree of patience. Replacing the rear window is one of those nightmare jobs on early Vettes. I kind of have it down to a reasonable project if I use ratchet straps to help wrestle the top into shape (and keep it there) while I install the rear window. The other job that tries my patience is replacing the dash cover. My buddy called me the other day with questions on recovering his 59 dash and I offered to help him. I am not sure which is worse-the rear window or the dashpad. Thank God you have the rear window behind you.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, Baron and 2 others like this.
  9. The last piece shown was a "hurry" because I did all the sanding and wanted to see the finished product. It slipped off the polishing wheel and hit the spinning nut on the arbor. Put a dent in it and cost me about another 2 hours of work. Now my nuts are duct taped.

10. Not today

loudbang and enloe like this.
  11. Jim, one day I'll be replacing the dash pad.
    It's not real bad but as the car looks better, it looks worse.

I did one in my 1962 many years ago and it wasn't fun.
    I'd choose the back window over the dash pad.

12. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Not to be a smart ass but I am. This sounds PAINFUL!
    "Now my nuts are duct taped"

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Just curious what are you are using for the final polish? After the different grits of jewelers' rouge I finished up with semi-chrome and an old sweat shirt turned inside out by hand. I had pleasurable results just wondering if there is something better. Joe

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  14. I had a big tub of "Mothers" polish already so been using that with a microfiber towel.

[​IMG]

The company "Glassworks" that restore Corvette tops recommends "MetAll" polish that's really for aluminum.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and oldsjoe like this.
  15. what's so bad about changing the dash pad? I did the one in my 60 years ago, other than botching one of the cuts, it didn't seem all that bad to me.

LowKat likes this.
  16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

"Met All" looks to be about the same color and consistency as semichrome I've used it for years on chrome and of course stainless and aluminum. That's all I used on my polished Americans. I have used mothers also but really liked the results I get from semichrome. A friend of mine swears by PRISM Metal Polish. He does a lot of boat stainless and aluminum. I have not tried it myself as of yet. Joe

PRISM819dA+OaLIL__SL1500_.jpg SEMICHROME51i4UXUhGfL__SX425_.jpg

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This just made me laugh Jim...I'm sure no pun intended. I've done a dash pad on my old 62, but never a rear window. Nice to know it's the lesser of the evils.
    Nice work Lowcat. Going to look great when it's installed back on the top.

Bowtie Coupe, LowKat and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Old time semichrome in a small tube was the only thing I found to get rid of the "Blue" on the header on my old Harley and kept it from coming back for a good while.

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

Same here, and made side cases look like chrome too (almost).:D

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

A little elbow grease and my polished American's shined like new money. Used to use it on bike spokes also. Hand's looked like a coal miner when I was done! Joe

21. Rat Daddio

Rat Daddio

Great thread and very cool car. Hopefully taking possession of a '58 soon. You have a lot of useful info here.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Welcome to the HAMB.
    You know we'll be wanting to see photos of your Vette when it happens.

loudbang likes this.
  23. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m jealous but I’m poor so i can live vicariously through you and others that own imo some of the nicest looking cars that were built 58 59 60 corvettes are boss.

OahuEli, LowKat and loudbang like this.
  24. Rat Daddio

Rat Daddio

Well it has happened! The car was delivered yesterday and you might already be familiar with it. Check out the Hot Rods to Hell Tribute build by utahvette (2014). I found the thread a couple months ago and the rest is history! The car is cool as hell.

25. Craigslist ad 250 miles away. Corvette hubcaps for $80 (I figured each but was a set of 4) Two are banged up looking in the single crappy picture but still a good deal for one, even though they are 1961-62.

Contact seller, says $25 shipping. Box came yesterday with 6 caps. I worked on and polished 3. The 4th has a few dings to straighten out and needs polished. 2 wall hangers left over.

Now I need 2 more original wheels. Don't plan on taking the mags off the car but might trade off once in a while.

z Corvette hubcaps 01.jpg

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Been thinking about enclosing my carport and you just gave me the right look.:D

loudbang, LowKat and enloe like this.
  27. P
    Pics or it didn't happen! That guy has built some cool cars from some humble beginnings.

28. loudbang and LowKat like this.
  29. Wow, that car looks so close to mine especially with the diamond tuck interior but not it. The picture above looks about the same era of 'show' pictures I have for mine. 1979-1981. I know the history of mine from 1973. I'd love to know more previous to that. Have found a couple hints of road racing on the car so keep looking at vintage photos of '58 racers very carefully.

Here's a couple show shots from back then:

0 A IMG_5600.JPG

0 A IMG_5602.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    oldsjoe, enloe, Bowtie Coupe and 5 others like this.