Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods got in a wreck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paul a massaro, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

here i am cruz'n down the street when a 90 year old woman in here pickup . just pulls out to make a u turn from the curb , just as i'm driving by , nails the side of my 64 dodge short d100 utiline hotrod with hp 383 , type writer 727 , 3.54 dana l/s , headers , eddy rpm intake , msd ign , hot camm'd , factory buckets n console , auto meter tach n gauges , vintage racing three bar sterring wheel , vintage american torq thrust rims , original paint n patina . pushes my pickup over the far side of the street curb , before she stops . screws up two of my vintage americans torq thrusts and kills the right rear tire , my 285/70-15 bfg sport truck radial . pancakes the door and peels the corner of the cab back over the bed step , flatted the fender to the bed side . so now her insurance co is trying to total it out for no money to speak of . now i can't find any of these in calif , but i do find similar pickups in other states . but less my hotrod equipment . so i'm in a battle for value to get what owed for the damages to my pickup . so i need some one that can do values and or appraise vehicles for worth in the sfba or better southbay area DSC06665.JPG DSC06664.JPG DSC09262.JPG DSC00842.JPG DSC00843.JPG DSC00841.JPG DSC00845.JPG DSC00847.JPG DSC00848.JPG DSC00001.JPG . does anyone know or used any service that understands these older patina'd hotrods ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

uh...it's an old Dodge truck, it's not worth much.

Sorry. It sucks.

mad mikey, 1927graham and tractorguy like this.
  3. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Go to the doctor and claim a whiplash neck injury. Then get an "insurance " collar at the local drug store . Might surprise you how much easier it is to settle on the damaged vehicle if a injury claim is pending..:)

55styleliner and deathrowdave like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What X38 said..."interesting".
    Too bad about your truck. You ok? Count your blessings...worse can happen.
    Umm...didn't see where you mentioned whether the elderly lady was ok or not.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

It is what it is.

Gary

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Paul, figure out what it would take to put it back like it was. I understand it would be hard to keep the pantina. Get an estimate from a body shop. Don’t settle for less.
    If the insurance company refuses to pay up, hire a lawyer. Insurance companies don’t like lawsuits.
    I had a similar event happen to me a while back, adjuster offered me $750 for my wore out Dodge Diesel. Told him to leave and my lawyer would handle it from now on. Got paid $3500 and got to keep the truck. That’s close to five times what was first offered.
    Just my experiences.

Bones

Blues4U, tb33anda3rd, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  7. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

the lady was not hirt , but my back got some . but everyone fared the wreck okay .

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

you should take a look at the sales ads . there not chevy n ford numbers . but there is no cheap one out there .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

yes , i do not wish to go this route . but i've been around the block before . and yes , the patina will be history , lol . but i've got the parts lined up for the repairs . then resto or not ? got an repair estimate from a great shop here in town . now it is get them to pay it in full .

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Paul, you just said the magic words! My back hurt! I assure insurance companies hate that statement. Get to a lawyer quick, if they are giving you the run around!

Bones

alanp561 likes this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Bones said, quick!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Take Boneyard's advice, get a professional estimate from a bodyshop. They don't have to be the ones fixing it, but make sure they get prices on ALL the rare parts damaged like the fender and wheel. Also go get that back checked, back injuries aren't anything to fool with and can last for years. Present the insurance company with the repair estimate and the DR.'s report, and don't settle until you get a price YOU think is fair, not the insurance company. Include an amount for pain and suffering. If they still refuse to settle, then you get a lawyer to send them a letter on their letterhead that you are intending to file suit in X amount of days unless your requests are met.

It's a good looking Dodge, and I'd say the stepside version is pretty rare, most are wide beds. As the guy on the radio says, insurance is there to put you back where you were before the wreck, that is why we have it. It was her fault, so her insurance is liable for the damage their client caused.

VANDENPLAS and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

if we let the insurance co's low ball everyone one on there vehicle values . what would you take for your car ? less then what another one costs in replacement value . thats what were talking here , what it would take to repair or replace it . so thats my stand . and i was told by a friend that i could maybe find an appraiser here do to the number of hotroders and those who love of their vintage vehicles in there patina'd shape and vintage look .

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I just got my bike finished up , on the first ride . 7 color candy flames . There is a pickup truck sitting on an exit ramp hood up flashers on . I get in behind 5 cars and slowly start to proceed around . Just as I get in front of the truck he decides to pull forward with the hood open . Smash right in the azz, knocks me off , bike is wedged under the bumper laying over on the floor board , Gas is pouring out . I’m on the ground looking and wandering WTH happened . At that time I was too cool to ride with a helmet . My head was about 8 inches from contact with a guard rail . Kid comes out and says “ Dude that looks bad ! “ I get up lookin around and tell him get in the truck and put the smoke out “ . I get to survey the damages , my favorite horsehide jacket has a hole rashed in the elbow ! That pissed me off x10! Bike has rear fender smashed beyond repair , wheel bent and , exhaust smashed torn loose from the head . Police show up “ are you ok ? “ Mr tuff guy “ yes” . Buddy comes takes me and scoot home . Kids insurance adjuster stops looks at my bike . He says “ we ain’t paying for custom work .” I said not an issue , “ it now belongs to you fix it the way you feel is best for you .” He stands and stares at me . I tell him “ you know this isn’t doing a thing but provoking me into a fit or rage !” He exits . 5 days later the insurance carrier calls to remind me a check for 5100.00 is in the mail to pay for bike repairs . “ I told him . You are not close. But we can reach a settlement easily . He says it’s done this is it “ you get no nothing more !” I ask him do you watch TV in the evenings ?” Normal answer “ YES , WHY ? “. I told him I never ask for one shinny new penny for any reason other fix my junk and I was staying home and watching TV , everyone of the online attorney ads I’m recoding the phone number and calling , I rest assured that I can find one of these attorneys to take a rear end collision on a motorcycle . He says “ I fully understand , your Check is the mail . I got my junk fixed and riding in a month or so . A year and a half later , I could not feel my fingers . MRI , two crushed neck vertebrae . 2 surgeries later C3 -C7 fused into one piece now . The words of wit from the story always get X-rays after a collision , and get an attorney if needed , that really seems to even up the sides to play ball with .

classiccarjack, Blues4U and upspirate like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

where are you located? if truck is totaled by your insurance company find out how much to buy it back - a lot depends on what kind of coverage that you had on it

16. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

yes , the estimate is in hand , and just sent off to the wrecker and her insurance co . along with a demand of payment for the damages that she caused along with sales ads for values . my back it junk from my life of working , i did a repair at the seen so mi could put the spare on , that set it off . my bone cracker tells me i should quite before it quites . and yes utiline beds are rare trucks . so i'm keeping it , looks like i'll be doing a resto to orangy . oh ya here's my other orange pickup . and ya orangy works too DSC01051.JPG DSC07920.JPG DSC07926.JPG DSC08197.JPG , lol .

williebill and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. I dig the quad cab, very cool family ride.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

What kind of policy do you have on your truck, you may try your insurance company and let them fight it out with the other drivers insurance company.

upspirate and Truck64 like this.
  19. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

sorry to here about your issues , glad they came through on the repairs costs , did they handle your neck issue too ? and what about your jacket ? and that lawyer thing is next on my plate , it will be more fees for them to pay out on .

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Circus Peanut orange!

Nah man, that really sucks. Something I never really thought about insurance, if the at-fault driver Insurance pays, why do I need Comprehensive coverage? That's just for me pranging into a tree or something? And I'm already paying for Uninsured & Underinsured.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

i'm in calif sfba , the buy back is only there . if their allowed them total it , and then a salvage tittle will follow it for ever . not going to let that happen .

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

As far as Utiline they are tuff to find . I have a 79 short wheel base w200 snow commander Utiline , that I swapped in a Cummins 4 BT for my daily beater . I would give anything to have the near rust free stuff you get to play with . Ours are rusted to near Fred Flintstone in a few years . Just be thankful you didn’t get hurt worse , all can be made new with time and effort .

23. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

well we both have geico , and my side said the other side is handling it and will do nothing . so geico is going to be passed on . state farm will be writing the new policy .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. 55styleliner

55styleliner

If the orange paint is original, you can ask for “deminision of value”. It’s hard to get, but you can argue your truck is now worth less because of the repair. It’s a real thing that is rarely mentioned and the adjuster will be dead silent on the other side of the line when you mention it, I promise. It’s one thing that keeps them up at night. Haha.

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Jacket was my Dads , worn so much it was damn near white , it’s hankin in his basement now , BP goes up every time Insee it , bike fixed and gone , back I never got an X-ray , I was stupid and “ to tuff “ didn’t need it . I can’t ride much anymore from surgery , range of motion is about 20% , driving the 32 gets tough after a few hours also anymore . Most of my traveling is in my old Power Wagon . It was a forestry truck , built like a tank , the 4bt gets 25 mpg and will move a house if need be . Good Luck , I sorry about the Dodge , I kinda have a soft spot for them , just be sure you are OK , the rest is just stuff it will come together with some time and effort .

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That uninsured motorist has nothing to do with property damage, injury only. At least in my state.

Bones

27. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

thanks , yes metal can be bent back and paint can be reapplied . but i can never ''say never wreck'd'' again , and that '' old oem baked enamel paint'' that lasts forever is gone too . i have these pickups also 60 d100 and a 57 d100 . DSC08001.JPG DSC08000.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC04066.JPG

28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Damn , keep them going , I need an engine cross member from a 73 4x4 if you run across one .

29. paul a massaro

paul a massaro

thanks , me got soft spot too , in my head , lol ! got to lov'm .

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That orange looks like the color they used on a lot of State Highway Dept trucks back in the day.

Truck64 and dan31 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.