Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hood scoops on street cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Sep 25, 2018.

1. OK here's probably the worst scoop ever devised! SORRY corp_0801_05_z+1973_chevrolet_corvette_movie_car+front_view.jpg

swade41, zzford, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  2. probably tacky? sometimes unlikely combos look good though.

Deuces likes this.
  3. That could look good
    1961-ford-thunderbird.jpg

4. Firedup

Firedup
    from Oregon

I did this to mine for clearance issues on an aftermarket radiator, and big block pushed the radiator forward almost 2”. Hokey? I like it! 669BA58E-D507-4281-9DA6-83433BC93F55.jpeg

scotty t likes this.
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

BigO likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Posers be damned..!
    My 54 Studebaker Conestoga, daily driver.
    A little bit of cool air for the carburetor, a little bit of hot under hood air escape, a little bit of additional clearance, and yea, a little bit of...just something different.
    [​IMG]
    A 55 Stude hood gave it's life. Turned it around backward, and...
    [​IMG]
    Welded it on. Added three more rows of weld so I could taper the weld into the parent metal. No Bondo required.
    [​IMG]
    A little more filing required...NO Bondo.
    [​IMG]

Mike

7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Think of each louver as a tiny hood scoop, at two bucks apiece.

belair, 31hotrodguy and scotty t like this.
  8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Interesting, I see an upside down model boat, an six actual spark arrestors on pass. Side, driver... Not sure

scotty t likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lol don't think that would work on my 27 T:D

10. Think of each louver as a tiny hood scoop, at two bucks apiece.[/QUOTE]
    OK how do these little scoops work out on a street car? do they let in a bunch of water/debris?

chevy57dude and Deuces like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

squirrel my want to shoot me but what about a thunder bolt tear drop scoop with the openings facing the windshield ? :cool:?

12. DSCN2651.jpg
    They look great on a lot of cars.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That first one is a old ford truck scoop isnt it?
    upload_2018-9-25_21-20-6.jpeg

belair, kidcampbell71 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Corvette summer?

15. Yes, I said sorry!

egads likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Aerodynamics of air flow. When a vehicle is moving forward, air actually flows forward at the lower edge of the windshield.

"Many scoops face forward, in the direction of the oncoming air, but every so often you’ll see a reversed scoop, facing away from the air stream. Why? On most cars, the area at the base of the windshield is a high-pressure area. If a reversed scoop is mounted close enough to the windshield, that high pressure will help to force air into the scoop. For the same reason, many modern cars, even ones with no performance pretensions, take their interior ventilation air from ducts in this region."

https://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/hood-scoops/

egads, belair and G-son like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a supercharged caddy ctsV, it had a hood like that, Cadillac called it a power dome.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry Scotty, those tear drop scoops always looked like shit regardless of the car it was on.

Gary

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Bottom line...... it's YOUR ride. What ever makes you smile is good.

20. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s your car, do whatever makes your frog hop. But you asked for opinions. I’m partial to the bird scoops (no surprise, I’ve got a 55 and as squirrel said it’s needed), or bulges (like the XKE to clear the cam covers), but not the aftermarket stuff on a street car with a low rise manifold. My buddy has a 56 Nomad, and I can’t imagine a scoop making an improvement.

To me those showed up on street cars for posers when the shaker hood scoops came out on the muscle cars.

21. I didn't ask for opinions on my car or what I should do, I just tried to get a discussion started on scoops on street cars.

22. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, you got my opinion on scoops. I just didn’t want you to think it was directed at you or your car.

scotty t likes this.
  23. I edited my original post to more clearly state my intent.

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think the thunderbolt would look tough (bad to the bone ) and the curves would flow with the curve on the front hood . :cool:

Rex Stallion likes this.
  25. The little guy on my left shoulder gets all Yowser! excited when I see the Mad Max movie cars.
    But the other little guy on my right shoulder goes "No, no, no, nononono" if I even look at a catalog page with a scoop on it.
    I'm just glad this thread doesn't have a poll attached because I'd probably strip my gears. :confused:

26. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Gammz and Deuces like this.
  27. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Some guys are way too quick at pointing fingers and name calling. Unless you know
    what is under that hood or scoop you could be really off base calling someone a poser.
    If I see a "Grump lump" (Bill Jenkin's box style scoop) or a late model Pro Stock scoop
    on a street car I'd probably shake my head, but in most other cases it's a styling thing
    and many cars look good with a scoop if the style fits the car.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    scotty t likes this.
  28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I needed a scoop to clear my intake runner and air cleaner. Looks gasser-ish, so I like it. I still haven't got the SS mesh screen fab'd up that I planned to finish off front. I'm sure it helps keep the engine run cooler even though I don't have hood sides. A friend put a Cobra style scoop on his roadster, which has a track nose and fixed hood sides and said his engine temp dropped significantly. It's more than looks, me thinks. Gary

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Those Ford AFX / super stock style cars took fresh air for the motor in from the high pressure area of the grille, often via an empty headlight hole. I've read more than once from those who know that the teardrop scoops on those Fords was made to let high pressure air OUT from under the hood. Gary

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    lurker mick, Gammz and loudbang like this.