Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949-51 Mercury Gas Pedal Setup Pics Please!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by michaelvz51, Sep 24, 2018.

1. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I'm building my 1951 Mercury and running a carb on a 350 Chevy engine. My project car came without a gas pedal and I am wondering if someone can show pics of what gas pedal they are running because of the large offset from the pedal on the floor over to the carb bracketry.
    I have tried the typical street rod pedal with a cable and modified a swinging bar setup to try to reach the proper spot in order to have clean pull operation, but it does not work well. See the pic I posted from the interior. The engine compartment uses the standard cable to firewall setup.
    Can anyone share what pedal setup they are running please-pics and donor car info would be great!

Attached Files:

2. jimmy bruns

jimmy bruns
    from Chatsworth

I'm running a Lokar pedal in my merc works pretty good. I can shoot some pics for you tomorrow.

Attached Files:

3. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thanks Jimmy, it appears that I will need to find the bell crank setup to allow the linkage to "reach" over to the cable going to the carb setup. I will be interested in seeing how the Lokar pedal and supporting linkage works and looks.

4. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

How about we try this a different way.....
    Does anyone have a picture of the original Gas Pedal setup WITH the necessary bell crank or linkages that they would be willing to share please?

5. Slopok

Slopok

Don't know if these will help but it's all I have from my '49.
    088.JPG 088.JPG 089.JPG

'Mo likes this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

I think some push and others pull, the '49 pushes.

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

My 51 pushes but i cant put up pics on this site for some reason. I don’t think its the greatest thing, a guy at the local cruise in has the firewall mounted spoon type and he says it works quite well.

8. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thanks Slopok!
    Looks like the "bell crank" is wide so as to allow the gas pedal to "reach" over to those carbs you have setup on the flatty.
    Anyone have a pic with a 350 in their Merc?

9. Slopok

Slopok

That is stock linkage.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know how you would get stock linkage to work with the 350. Without serious mods that is.
    I don't remember what I did with the stock linkage when I first put a 350 Buick in my 51 years ago. I ran a gas pedal and cable linkage out of some donor rig I scrapped out at the time. I'm not even sure where that engine and trans came from now, I think my buddy showed up with it in the back of his truck one day but that was 40 years ago.

11. an s-10 will unbolt and complete unit drill hole work great use a gm bracket for the kick down and cable

12. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thank you all so far, Plymouth1952, I will look into that setup as it has the kickdown too.

13. Wynne

Wynne

The Lokar pedal works well with an aluminum block under it to bring it out some.

14. This is from my website ..complete documentation of building "The Judge"!
    To see all of the galleries on the website click on the Little House in the upper left corner to go to home and then you can see all the other galleries. But for this one go to the link and scroll way way down to see what I did with my pedal and tiny roller. Works perfectly!
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Tips-and-Tricks/

15. So, y’all inspired me to tackle a new throttle linkage project. I was running a cable spoon pedal (yuck). I made the rod out of 1/4” solid rod and used the Afco 10171 throttle end kit ($15 at smileys racing or summit). I modified the pedal end to thread onto the rod and since I liked where the pedal was inside, I made the rod fit the hole that the cable went through. I hope this help somebody. I’m open to all criticism and ideas for improvement. I tend to overthink things and make stuff way to complicated. I tried not to do that on this project.

Attached Files:

16. oldsman41

oldsman41

Jk that is the kind of stuff our dads would have made. You don’t like the way it is you modify to fit your tastes. Hot rod 101