Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 1957 Chevy Bel Air 4dr Hard Top project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

You have quite the collection going on out there :)

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. 'Mo

'Mo

I like it! A station wagon rear bumper would be cool.

This one is simple and nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Personally, I'd take a 57 4 door HT over a 2 door HT, every day of the week.

Super 57 At Havana_1990-2.jpg 2013_07_20 Byron Meltdown -Bob's 57.jpg 57 Sport Sedan Jr Stocker 2.jpg 57 Jr. Stocker.jpg

4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Ha ha ha, that is so true

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The red white and blue car is one of my favorite 4dr hard top Jr stockers!

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Had a 57 Bel Aire two door post when I was a kid and would grab a four door hardtop in a heart beat, good looking cars.

lothiandon1940 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. Sorry, I just have to say it. Looks like a great parts car to me.

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Goodies in the trunk! Doesn't look like much at first but look all the stainless that wasn't on the car. It all adds up to $$$ especially the window mouldings if you had to buy them. Even the factory horns get pricey if you want half way nice ones. 20180919_135130.jpeg

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Late model something or other. Turns it is literally just sitting there. I had to prop it up to keep it from sitting on the power steering cylinder. 20180919_152646.jpeg

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Inspiration from other pictures on the HAMB. First thing will be rebuilding the suspension but in the mean time it is fun to dream. . Yes I know they are 2 doors but I really don't think the 4dr hard top would affect the look too much.....except the custom skirts of course. Dave-jenkins-1957-chevrolet-profile.jpeg 0.jpeg

kidcampbell71, Flogknaw, 'Mo and 2 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great dreaming material to apply to your project...definitely fits into the theme of things around here...it would then be a Traditional Custom and that's just fine to...

31hotrodguy likes this.
  13. The stainless cache is a very important thing. Hope fully it isn't bent and dented. The horns aren't accurately reproduced as well as the electric wiper motor.
    How about a close up of the dealer plate frame?

31hotrodguy, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

If you are still thinking of the 2 dr. conversion you will need a 2 dr. split bench front seat other wise you'll have no access to the back seat

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The stainless didn't look too bad at first glance but will see once I get the trunk cleaned out. The dealer plate had been partially primmered over but I'll see if I can get a good picture next time I go out back

chevy57dude and Stogy like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

A person should never have to apologize for an honest opinion. Normally I would agree and I have picked up other 57's just for parts in the past. The reason why I'm going to not part this one out is because 1, it doesn't appear rusted out and 2, it is complete enough for me to get on the road. Plus I have the parts to complete it. And 3 it is pretty darn straight. Over all it is in better shape than my black 2dr sedan and so I plan to drive the 4dr hard top as my driver.

kidcampbell71, curbspeed and Stogy like this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I'm not considering a 2dr conversion. It can be done but I'm not a body man. If I could I'd buy the panels an actually build the 2dr hard top I posted a while back. As for seats I have 62 pontiac buckets I might use if i don't use the stock 4dr seat.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  18. I'm not knocking your desire to build it at all. I just remember a time no one would bother with a four door. There is still a lot of cool 2 doors out there to build . 57's are cool.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  19. redo32

redo32

I'm generally in the 2 Dr camp, but that makes me a hypocrite. My first car was a '51 Ford fordor that I traded an $80 guitar for. Soon I had my first '57 Chevy... a 4dr wagon. Followed by a 2dr ht and another wagon, this time a Nomad. I always had a work truck, from F100, to '64 El Camino (I should have kept that one), 1948 F1 to a set of later model Chevy extended cabs. For the last 16 years drove an Avalanche and just traded up to a Colorado 4dr. Things tend to go around in a circle, my current hot rod is a '32 Fordor that had a Chevy v8 installed in 1957. If you've got a back seat you might as well have extra doors too.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Technically I'm secretly buying 4dr projects so that when I win the lottery I can buy the new back half of a 57 convertible body and have a fleet of rag tops! My wife just doesn't know it yet.

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Seen one converted to two door about 40 years ago. Left a big impression on my mind. It was driving down the street so no way to ask how he done it. It looked right to me...

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. The trick to building a nice four door is to not apologize for it being a four door.

23. Now that's funny. So few four doors are done right. Some are. I just haven't seen too many. Seems like if your going to spend the same amount of money on a car it might as well be something that will hold it's value instead of it being something you just settled on. So many choices, so little time.

24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Totally true about the 4dr and the value. To restore a 4dr sedan and even a 4dr Hard Top from a financial point does not make sense in most cases. Don't think restored but rather think "driver." There are the things I will do to this that I won't do to a "period" because.....well it is a 4dr and I don't care. . It being a 4dr is actually very freeing for my car brain because I don't care. Example the black sedan is hopefully going to be restored back to it's 1963 Jr stock self so it won't be as streetable. The 55' will be licenced and that is about it. So the 4dr made into a driver and not a show car put my "period correct" brain at ease.

belair, curbspeed and chevy57dude like this.
  25. Terrible80

Terrible80

The thing about a 57 4dr hardtop is it doesn't look like a 4dr! I remember a friend had a younger brother with a white over dark green one. First time I saw a 4dr I lusted after.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Your thread has stirred my interest in the 4 door hardtop 56/57 more, I have saw pics of a custom 4 door h/t 55
    (never existed from factory) that was built out of a 56 that looked pretty good, I like 4 doors, the roof and back glass on these are where "my" concern would be other than the amount of doors, and think that a twist on that would look good and be something different that maybe hasnt been done, at least that I have seen....so thanks to themoose in the photoshop thread helping me visualize what a 2 door hardtop back glass would look like,(I know it would require quite a bit of fab to roof to make it look rite) heres what he came up with just for kicks;)
    I like it! or something similar at least if anyone were ever bold enough to try it someday, Not tryin to encourage you to change your car just sharing some thoughts your thread caused me to think about and had to share it with ya :D
    upload_2018-9-25_18-5-5.jpeg
    ...... Heres the 55/56 I was talkin about, maybe I shoulda requested the back glass treatment on it
    ...see you got me dreamin:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    R A Wrench, belair and 31hotrodguy like this.
  27. 896B2423-D823-4AAA-A9BC-5A619C4E1AC9.jpeg

Here’s one that I wouldn’t like any better if it was a 2 door. I’m not into customs unless I’m looking at this one.

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I'm glad I could stir your interest for good and not evil.....which is often the case. I remember seeing that 55 about 20yrs ago and being pretty impressed. I also remember seeing a stock black 56 4dr hard top that was lowered 2 inches and thought to myself for a 4dr that is a pretty car.

Flogknaw likes this.
  29. So Cal Greg

So Cal Greg

Great find. I love those sport sedans. What a fun project to do with your son. Some my best finds have been hiding right next door as well.

30. oldscot3

oldscot3

I've had three of the `56 chev 4 doors from my high school years to now, I really like them. Good score, congrats.

One area I have found to be consistently problematic is a small patch of roof, just above the the tailing edge of the rear doors. The chrome comes to a vee shape there and a patch about the size of a tennis ball rots out there.