Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Corvette (I'm the new tire fryer)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Buffed the crap out of "Black Betty" last weekend getting ready for good weather.
    Took Mrs. LowKat out for a cruise Saturday since we had unexpected sunshine.

Still waiting for my hood to come back from body shop prison with fresh paint
    Installed some new sun visors as old ones were split around the edges.

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

Found out I need traction bars as it has some wheel hop going on. Been looking at Traction Master brand since they work well and they're tucked in unlike the slapper bars that were on it. Portland Swap Meet is this weekend so maybe I'll get lucky and find some.

0000 traction bars.jpg

2. loudbang

loudbang

Traction masters used to be the hot ticket when they first came out. They do have one weak spot however. The front bracket that welds to the frame and only has one point of contact for the attaching bolt. The bracket on my first set of them literally TORE ITSELF APART Horizontally. Right in the center of the bracket above the bolt head. It didn't come unwelded or bent the bracket was just stretched until it pulled apart looked like someone took a set of industrial shears to it clean cut but broken in half.

Admittedly I was at the dragstrip with low air new M&H wrinkle wall slicks in a 4 speed 390 mustang doing 3500 rpm launches.

Solved the problem with then new slapper bars.

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark, I recently purchased a set new as I have to change out the slapper bars on my black 62 for the Pie Crust drag race at Byron in June. The box they came in looks to be somewhat familiar (kind of). I went with the bolt on Traction Masters as number one I do not have all that much power to begin with and may want to remove them in the future (if I ever get back on my project car that will hopefully be relegated to drag strip use.)

The funny thing is when I looked at them I decided I have enough steel to make another set which I am doing and may put them on the red car-doesn't really cost me anything for another set. Cad-418 024.JPG

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

First of all the car looks ENVIOUS! Second of all just how did you find out the car needs traction bars? Any pictures of the experiment? Joe

Bowtie Coupe, LowKat and loudbang like this.
  5. Impromptu experiment but I can get a picture of the patch it left. I was happy to find out the posi works well. Next time I'll have the copilot man the camera.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mark
    Here is a HAMB thread showing the ones I built years ago for 62-67 Novas.
    I found an original set at the Portland Swap Meet and copied them (sorta), not sure of the application but they are the style that clamps to the leaf spring as compared to the ones that have the forward mount in single shear, as mentioned, not the strongest design.
    There are a few of my posts on how I mounted these, any leaf spring car can be mounted the same way.
    Here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/leaf-spring-traction-aids-for-lowered-cars.1006746/
    [​IMG]

Here is the HAMB Traction Master thread photo search index for inspiration.
    Not too hard to make if originals can't be found.
    PM me if I can be of any help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...m6baAhVr4IMKHULZBF4Q_AUIEygD&biw=1280&bih=752

7. Got my stock hood back from "body shop jail" with new paint.
    Looks great, bottom side looks just as good.

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

Headed out to the garage to install.
    Been kinda naked looking without a hood for the last 5 months.
    DSC00771.jpg

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Did ya hear what that car just said....."Don't mess with me!!!" What a bad a$$ malcontent!! LOL ;):D:cool:

Bowtie Coupe, enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. Got the newly painted hood on and went to a cruise-in today.
    There was over 700 registered cars.

DSC00879.jpg

Stopped on the way home at this Flying A gas station.
    Really it's a sign and motorcycle parts shop.
    I sold him a couple of the original signs for it years ago.

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00889.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

That is a fine looking automobile.

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks great from every angle.

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Denny don't want to screw this thread up but with the talk of Traction masters there is quite of bit of movement side to side with the front mount. I added a rubber cushion and also some rubber sleeves on the bolts to cut down on the side to side movement. Not sure if this is a good idea but I have lock nuts on the bolts so they will only be tightened on the track. Since you made copies of the traction masters do you want the side to side movement on the front mount or is it wise to do limit the side to side movement?

13. LowKat, your car is looking fantastic with the newly painted hood. Great shots of it at the Flying A, too.:cool: The pic with the red '62 brought back some great memories for me.

loudbang and LowKat like this.
  14. Looking at a vintage Edelbrock tri-power intake.
    Model# C362S with Rochester 2G carbs.
    Supposedly a low rise manifold designed for C1-C2 Corvettes.
    Anybody ever run one?

I'm concerned with hood clearance.
    Don't want a scoop or hood bulge.
    I just took a crappy one of those off.

Also wondering if stock ignition shielding will still fit?

0 3x2 SBC C362s 2.jpg

0 3x2 SBC C362s 3.jpg

0 3x2 SBC C362s 4.jpg

0 3x2 SBC C362s 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    oldsjoe, Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 3 others like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would measure up from something that is the same on both manifolds (3x2 and what is on the car now) like the dist pad to the top of the air cleaners and see if there is any difference

16. It's 3/4" too tall with air cleaners on to close the hood.

DAMMIT

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

What about a different air cleaner.
    O'Brian Truckers or someone else might make something cool

oldsjoe, greaser, LowKat and 2 others like this.
  18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looking good Mark. Enjoy.

Gary

19. Went to a show last weekend with 250 cars and brought home a Sponsor's Choice award.
    Mrs. Lowkat was pretty jazzed.
    0 000c.jpg

0 006.jpg

20. loudbang

loudbang

Good news, congrats

Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  21. Made a deal on a hardtop for the Corvette yesterday that's much nicer than the one I have but will need painted. It has a headliner that matches the seat and door panel upholstery in the car.

z Corvette top 1.jpg

z Corvette top 4.jpg

z Corvette top 2.jpg

Attached Files:

22. catdad49

catdad49

Nice Score! Have you put the top on yet? I think you might like it or have one of the guys do a Photoshop with different colors. Just a thought, Carp.

LowKat likes this.
  23. oldsman41

oldsman41

Well you got my dream car keep it nice for the memory of your friend. Pretty car

LowKat likes this.
  24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark the top looks to be in nice shape overall. The paint is the easy part. The window can be polished. Replacing the rear window is one of those jobs I do not look forward to. I have done it a few times and it is akin to wrestling a bear. Wish you were closer as I would like to look at your other top. I have a 60 old drag car that may need a top if I live long enough to resurrect it. Lately I seem to be living/working in bizarro world and making less progress with my projects than is possible.

25. It's going black to match the car.
    The white convertible top will eventually be black too.

DSC00489.JPG

I think of my friend Doug every time I look at it. We shared a running joke for 25 years, instead of saying "HI" when we saw each other, I'd say "Give me your Corvette" then he'd reply "Not today"

Jim, it's in nice shape with the exception of a couple dented stainless pieces. The windows have no age checking or scratches and will polish. My car came with a new hardtop weatherstrip kit. I'll get it put together and painted over the winter. The deal maker for me was the diamond pleat headliner. I think it was a bargain and met a cool guy that has a ton of unorganized early Vette parts.

My other top is missing a few small stainless pieces and the 2 (expensive) long curved inside stainless trim over the doors. Needs a headliner, some weatherstripping and has a 12" long deep scratch through the gel coat. Windows are nice.

I'm with you on the project list. I have 5 that need mostly minor attention and I just bought a new daily driver so need to clean-up the old one and send it down the road.

DSC00787.jpg

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark the headliner is cool and does match. Taking the dents out of the stainless is not too difficult. I used some hardwood that I sanded to the proper crown and they came out pretty well. After sanding and polishing they looked good. They may have some flash chrome on them but mine came out really well. Glass is pretty easy to polish. Good luck-looks good.

Bowtie Coupe and LowKat like this.
  27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

"Give me your Corvette" ? Joe

Surfcityrocker, LowKat and enloe like this.
  28. Not today

29. I just dropped in again to see if I was still jealous.

yep

bchctybob, Finn Jensen and enloe like this.
  30. Thanks for the compliment. It's a really fun car.
    My wife loves the reactions of others when we're on the road.
    She hoots and hollers right back...

oldsjoe and 1959Nomad like this.