Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. air view.jpg 2.jpg
    [/ATTACH]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Funny i was just thinking about this thread a few days ago....
    Applekrate, please keep the pics coming when you have adventures

applekrate likes this.
  3. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

My 59 Edsel Ranger came from Arizona 20 years ago, I am looking for a full set of letters that go on the doors/fenders and hood if anybody comes across any
    Mine went missing at the body shop

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is some pretty country up there, no wonder it is where the antelope play.

applekrate likes this.
  5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

This indeed is a great thread. One of the few that I enjoy going back to started and reading and looking at again.

applekrate likes this.
  6. flier draft 1a.jpg
    Thanks to you, and to others for your kind words and encouragement. "will do"
    I , myself, need to reread this thread too as it has been awhile. There is a lot more to see here in the more remote, and lesser traveled, parts of Arizona. So far Gila, Pinal, Navajo and Apache counties have yeilded nice finds.
    Speaking of Apache county, my 9th annual Apache County Motorsports Days event will be held at the St Johns city park Sept 15-16. Friday night will feature a casual meet and greet, poker run and cruise. Saturday is the main day with car show welcoming anything with an engine ( our primary entires are 1920s-1970s). Show entry includes a hot lunch with drink and a dash plaque. Will also have our chili contest and burnout contest. It is afun time with nice weather. Here is a preliminary flier. Hope to see some Hambers attend this nice get away with lots of green grass, shade and small town charm to enjoy.

1947knuck and PBRmeASAP like this.
  7. VTjunk

VTjunk

I've been in the Southwest on vacation for a week, doing touristy stuff, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, ghost towns, Las Vegas, etc. I've seen some old cars driving around, but not as many as I expected to see. Saw quite a few sitting in fields at run down mobile home parks in the middle of nowhere. Some of those places look downright
    sketchy. Didn't investigate any as I'm so far away from home there's no point.

8. VTjunk

VTjunk

20170704_103813.jpg
    Not wrecked or abandoned, but maybe it once was, this AA sits at a garage in Ash Fork.

9. A few of the cars that were in Springerville a couple years ago
    pretty complete buick.JPG unknown yr buick.JPG hearse ala smoke.JPG 53 checy 2 dr.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  10. I am gladto now have Springerville Autop Wrecking as one of the event sponsors for my annual "Apache County Motorsports Days" event at the St Johnscity park. This year it is Sept 15-16. If you make the trip here try to stay for a few days and take in this yard and other places nearby. I can also show my new location up here. This is where my museum will be. As mentioned earlier, the building was delivered in March. Already have move up here about 125 old Pontiacs.
    Also, The Phoenix Drag Reunion will be in Phoenix at Wild Horse Pass Nov 10-11. Any proceeds from this Reunion will benefit my museum efforts here in eastern Az.
    Hoping to report some new info and pics in the coming weeks as I continue to explore the more remote areas of Arizona. Steve

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. A couple more...................I got the 2 dr 59 Chevy wagon
    t bird1.JPG 59 2 dr wagon.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

13. More like IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0765.JPG mountain sheep. I took these on a field trip with the wife a couple of weeks ago. No old cars to speak of that I saw but some beautiful country.

1947knuck, Lil32, kbgreen and 2 others like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I should probably slog through all 34 pages and see if this one is in here anywhere...or not....

Not too far from home, this Buick apparently was the power plant for a mining operation. On Forest Service land. Brown Canyon.

IMG_20171027_124441.jpg IMG_20171027_124538.jpg IMG_20171027_124517.jpg IMG_20171027_124457.jpg

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

scotts52 and biggeorge like this.
  16. I just spent quite a bit of time going through this thread I had started. We had some great adventures. Hoping to continue it some day.

Lil32, kbgreen and Offset like this.
  17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Applekrate, it has been an entertaining thread. Great adventures indeed.

Thank you for sharing your fun and I hope it will continue.

Lil32 and applekrate like this.
  18. It has been 4-5 years but, am now planning on resuming restoration of this sign on I-40 this fall. Anyone with painting skills and time to help that has interest, please contact me. thanks

19. Oilguy

Oilguy

I miss this thread.

applekrate likes this.
  20. thank you, hoping it will as well.

21. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Just finished reviewing this thread today, really cool. It's a shame that Photobucket hosted photos are lost.

I used to hike around abandoned towns, CCC camps, etc in Vermont when I was a kid. You could see the old roadways, lined with stacked stone walls and were eroded or washed to a lower elevation than the adjacent fields. I'd see an old saw mill with an abandoned truck sitting next to the foundation. The truck had wood spoke wheels that rotted away and the axles were sitting on the bottom of the rim. It was a sound that happened in the woods that nobody heard! I love old roads, old towns and of course old cars. Thanks for starting this thread and reviving it from a couple years of inactivity.

22. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Didn't they renumber the "Devil's Highway"?

23. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

It is Rt-191 now.

24. fsjcotton

fsjcotton
    from Tucson

Almost a year since last post, but better late than never!
    More old cars used to buildup old roadbeds. This one is quite washed out and a good scramble to get to. Just outside of Winkelman heading north on 77.

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe and Stogy like this.
  25. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

This has been one of my favourite threads on the HAMB. Fascinating stuff out there.

Saxman, Lil32 and applekrate like this.
  26. scotts52

scotts52

I'm a sucker. If I could get to those with a truck I'd probably try dragging them home.

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  27. It is nice to see my old thread revived a bit. Yes, we did some great and adventurous exploring for a few years. The group has split up, a few got married and moved on to other things pretty much leaving me alone and I do not want to do it on my own. So, until another group can be formed, will wait.
    Am enjoying life after moving to eastern Az on hwy 191. Just love the mild weather here year around. Working on my car collection and still planning the Pontiac museum up here on my 12 acres.
    My annual car show up in St Johns continues this year Sept 13 and 14.
    And I have Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park rented November 1, 2 and 3 near Phoenix
    Fri/Sat Nov 1 and 2 is my annual Phoenix Drag Reunion,
    Saturday night is diesel truck drags and open test and tune, 1/8 mile out law type racing, etc
    Sundy, Nov 3 is my 22nd annual Pontiac Heaven for fans of real Pontiac power. each event has its own FB page and you can keep current there if you wish.
    Hoping I will have more for this thread in the coming years.

1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. Lil32

Lil32

have just read and enjoyed all 34 pages
    we visit USA often and do a lot of driving, keeping an eye
    out for stuff, but do not get offroad as serious as you guys
    we have seen 13 US States so far,as east as New Mexico
    we did fly to Georgia on east coast once to visit Acme Toy Modelers in Winder

29. Uribe

Uribe

I've been there too, its car heaven, i can easly spend the whole day there

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  30. fsjcotton

fsjcotton
    from Tucson

Applekrate I got a kick out of that Concho bus picture. I lived in Concho valley for a while as do most of my relatives currently. Ferris actually helped my grandpa restore his early 50s ford pickup years back. Ive been dying to get back into his yard and look around. My brother and I pulled a 455 from a tornado in his yard probably 15 years ago. Is he still kicking and healthy? I drive by whenever Im up there but never see anyone and the cars outside the fence stay the same mostly.