Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

What kind of power does it have? What size clutch/flywheel? First guess I'd say come thru the bellhousing with a VW or equivalent starter.

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Some pictures of your setup would really help. Does it have a flywheel with starter teeth?

3. cresentwrench

cresentwrench

It has no flywheel or clutch. It is direct drive. In & out box to crank

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Sounds like you have some work to do. I think there is a setup called quartermaster flywheel and starter & clutch you can google but you will have to redu your driveline.here is a picture of one Do you have a in and out box on a slider in the quickchange?ATTACH=full]3923221[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

THANK YOU JOSH FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!! I just thought it was about time to say it again!!

blackout78666 likes this.
  6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Which in & out box do you have?

A CAE catalog I have shows that they made a clutch drive option for the big bell box. It had a 1 3/8 - ten spline input shaft with the pilot for the bushing in the flywheel. No mention made as to which clutch or flywheel to use. The input shaft appears to be some type of Ford piece, probably late flathead era.

If you have a big bell box , you'll notice it has provision for a cross shaft for the throwout bearing and you're on your own to rig up the rest of the linkage.

Hope this helps.

7. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Crappy pictures, but this would be the simplest method. I see this stuff on E-bay occasionally. I think this uses a standard 10.5" Chevy pressure plate. Depending on the input shaft, both Ford and Chevy discs are available. I think this is what Speedwrench is talking about.

Attached Files:

8. CircleTrack-4

CircleTrack-4

You might give some thought of going with a Bert 2 speed with reverse tranny.

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

An external starter sounds like the simplest way to go, especially if he wants to go with just an in/out box and no clutch.

10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

first of all-I hate starters in a restored sprint car,if the car has any historical value restore it as close as possible!NOW heres the easy way if you want a starter but don't need a clutch=make a 1inch spacer between the engine block and the motor plate-last one I made was nothing but a handful of 1 inch tube with flat strap welded between them.another set of 1inch spacers move the front motor plate ahead.most cars have room for the engine being moved an inch without altering stuff[headers,radiator etc]you now have room for an automatic trans flex plate AHEAD of the motor plate.a simple 1 inch[again]spacer between the crankshaft and the crank button and you are all set to stroke your ego and play racer.P.S.for the crank button spacer I've used either an old worn out crank button or the aluminum adapter that allows the steel u-joint to bolt to the crank on newer cars

Speedwrench likes this.
  11. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

OOOPS-a few things I forgot,use an aftermarket starter that doesn't have a pinion support,if you want to use a stock type starter you may have to drill a hole in the motor plate to clear the starter nose.hiding the battery can take some work,but a fake dry sump tank is just about the right size.It,s surprising but most of the time a car with this set up will start in gear an pull away from a standstill

12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I ran into a bunch of guys from Texas who ran limited class sprinters that had to be self-starting and the set up you describe was pretty much what they used.

It was always a laugh riot watching them start up. They'd stick it gear, hit the starter and the cars would jump and lurch all over the place until the engine caught. Then they would just drive away.

13. blackout78666

blackout78666

Punch out list is getting shorter!!! Driveline in, hood cut for injectors, all plumbing done, throttle linkage hooked up. Cooling system done. Getting real close to paint.Gotta set front ride height, get my magneto checked out and should be able to fire it up!!! Thanks all for the encouragement and help, y'all know who you are.
    IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4656.JPG IMG_4660.JPG IMG_4662.JPG IMG_4677.JPG IMG_4682.JPG

14. CircleTrack-4

CircleTrack-4

Black vette--- Looking good, any paint yet?

loudbang likes this.
  15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

blackout, Tell me more about the crank-driven water pump please. Is it a vintage piece? Still available?

loudbang likes this.
  16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Looks similar to KSE pump readily available but high bucks. Should be plenty available used and easy to rebuild if necessary.

Looks like a common

loudbang likes this.
  17. blackout78666

blackout78666

It's a Lehman front cover and crankdriven waterpump. They show up on eBay from time to time. I don't know the vintage of them but imagine 60's/70's. Company still in business that has the drives for cam and crank and will rebuild them. I had mine rebuilt. Couple hundred bucks. PM me if you want some more info. Happy to help out. May have another laying around.

loudbang likes this.
  18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thank you blackout, I'll be using a stock belt-driven pump on my replica. I just think it looks really neat and "racey".

loudbang likes this.
  19. blackout78666

blackout78666

Jump on in there. Hardest part was finding the proper lower hose. I think I bought 5 from Napa till I found the right one that fit. They are infinitely indexable and work proper.

loudbang likes this.
  20. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

View attachment 401886 [/QUOTE]

Old post . . . IMO this is the real week end, week night racer. Open trailer, wooden ramps, 4 spare tires, drum of alky, open pickup truck, and probably a tool box. No side-by-side pusher, and no hauler with 10 spares of everything....

22. additions to history of Beal/Traylor/Schindler/Thomson saga.
    thanks to duke cook who got me started on this. after Stearly car was sold to a darrell woodbury of union city,
    ohio. spoke to son gary, yes, his father purchased the x beal car about 1961, not sure.
    bobby marvin had car thru a lease or other deal with his father. car was #76, B & J spl.
    gave up ride to go with wergland.
    duke also says history of car was known. put cage on car & chev engine.
    besides duke's info, Indiana Open Wheel was good source.
    learned dick debolt, dick pratt, audie swartz, mike vandermass, & brent whited were drivers at one time or
    another. debolt verif by dau.
    anderson speedway gave some results.
    1961 dick pratt woodbury #20 std 3rd fin 19th led 153 of 226 laps.
    1966 audie swartz no info
    1983 mike vandermaas

woodbury's son did send me some pix, 2 attached
    mlight9 20.png 20x.png

23. P.S. last info i got was that car may have been parted & that chassis poss. went to Mich?????
    mlight9

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

There was a post of this car on the Facebook sprint car page about 3 to 4 years ago. My memory says it was a picture taken at Tampa, mid sixties, at the IMCA winter event, and it had an extension from the top of the roll bar down to the rear nerf/push bar. It was clearly the same car as the B&J Special, painted red. Good to see you on here, I still have the photos and poster you sent, hidden away at the moment due to a move across town. Many Thanks, hope the car turns up some day.

25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Nice Job Mlight9

jim

26. Eric Beardmore

Eric Beardmore

Hello. I am restoring a Sprint Car they say was a Hill- bilt, so I am keen to get info on the Car and Les. Can you help?. Eric

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Can you post some pics, please?

28. wallen's 1960's book shows ken brenn having a "GERHARDT" chassis. 1967.
    I assume this is a R E engine car, right???
    mlight9

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

30. about 9 yrs ago, hamb post 290-8674, there was a discussion about a car called "WOODIE" owned
    by a oakey draut, etc etc. I don't have car now but I do have car "then".
    mlight9 rdg   64    marshman.jpg