Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shed some light on Sun Tach and transmitter for any Flatty or four banger???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Materguru, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Materguru

Materguru

I am sure this is beat to death but Mia Copa. I want to put a Sun 40's tach or a football tach in my Hop Up. I dig the bakelite and the football. i will have a 8BA in a 32 i might add. I am also hoping to finish the Model B and play with it as well. i have seen alot of information on the here and some conflicting. what goes with what? Could anyone explain, tell or direct me to place that breaks down or is a legend to the vintage Sun tach model #'s and what they work with? Go Hambers' Feel free to look up Sparkle City Speed Shop on instagram to see the progress of the project 32. Thanks in advance for any help..BTW, be nice, mean people suck..right? IMG_3731.JPG

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My partner and I make a box that allows you to run any currently available 12V tach on 6V positive ground systems. In the process, we were also able to make a board that goes into a Sun Controller box and drives the original Sun meter-type tachometer. I had it in my '51 Ford for a while. If you are interested, PM me. (I think I also have a "You Tube" video of it somewhere.)

3. I started a thread a couple of years ago about this, I found the plans for the driver and built it and it works fine. I'll try to find the thread and post a link.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. stillrunners likes this.

5. I don't think you will have much luck repairing an old driver, the caps can be replaced and you can even rewind the coil of wire to repair the broken end, you can also find replacement batteries or make a power supply to delete the batteries but the one fatal flaw is the vibrating points are made out of some type of metal that just cracks up and falls apart.

6. Materguru

Materguru

Im sorry I wasnt more clear. I am not interested in any make shift fix. I want to know simply where to find what Sun tach model numbers ie. 1a or 2b or etc. are designed to go with what motor. Just what the transmitter or "box" is designed for. if you have information pertaining the THAT question please contribute. Meanwhile, thanks for all the other information.

46international likes this.
  7. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi, I have a SUN tach in my 1952 Plymouth Suburban that I had rebuilt by Williamson's in Arkansas several years ago and it works fine. williamsons.com.

Jan in Ojai, CA

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  8. Materguru

Materguru

9. as far as what unit to get for what motor, The transmitter box says on it what it works with, 6v or 12v, 6cyl or v8 etc. Then the tach that will cover the RPM range you need.

10. Materguru

Materguru

yeah, I got that, let me try to explain again..i know that it states on the back what goes with (to some degree). my question was does anybody know of a place to get a" legend" if you will or a page on the internet that lists the model #'s for the sun tachs. There is actually a thread on the Hamb that lists some but its not a complete list. how do i know what to look for on the transmitter if i dont know what model # to look for. i hope this explains what im asking. but thanks for you imput

11. Scott Mize

Scott Mize

12. BigJim394

BigJim394

Somewhere I have a circa 1961 Almquist catalog that listed all the old Sun Tach and Transmitter applications but it would take a long time to find it.
    Google Belmonts Rod & Custom in Dedham, Mass and give Billya call. I know he has catalogs that list the Sun applications.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should add that my unit allows any Sun "meter" tachometer to run on 6 volts, positive ground. Seeing that you were talking flatheads and four bangers, I thought it might have been of interest to you. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Good luck trying to find an 6 volt positive ground working Sun control box.