Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I was talkin about the car not you!!! :rolleyes::eek::D:D:D

Fitnessguy and Max Gearhead like this.
  2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Good thing you didn’t chop it. Your head wouldn’t fit otherwise !
    Happy now ??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike, wackdaddy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

That’s better!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ran the car today and brought her up to temp. couple stupid little leaks and having a funny issue with the electric fuel pump. It's an Eddy 1791 quiet flow. You can set the PSI externally on it which is great and is factory set at 6.5PSI so i have it set down to 4psi for the tri power. After the car runs for about 10 minutes the pressure drops right off to zero. Cracked the line at the pump fitting and up near the motor and the line has fuel in it. Pulled the line off the centre carb and turned the pump on and after a couple seconds, bam i get fuel. Connect the carb again start the car let it run for a while then the PSI dropped to zero again. pump is below the tank mounted on the frame, tank is vented. Can't think of what is making it drop off like that. I jumped online and read a couple other people say they have experienced the same issue with that pump so now i'm second guessing my choice. Other than that everything else is happy. Let the rear wheels run with the car up on stands so i could get everything moving in the rear end. Get this other little crap solved and hopefully i don't have to fight this pump for long.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnwn1daHmUx/?taken-by=30coupestreet

31chevymike, Stogy and Blue One like this.
  5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Another defective part ? Damn gremlins

31chevymike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. ............It's getting to be epidemic.:mad:

31chevymike and Dino 64 like this.
  7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

It’s funny I was back and forth about running an electric vs a mechanical. I have a mechanical on my Camaro and have never had an issue but I thought what the hell I’ll run a good electric on the coupe. Now I’m kicking myself. Won’t deal with this garbage too long and I’ll throw a mechanical on the motor and be done.

31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Man you should be proud, you done an amazing job. Car looks awesome. These damn parts anymore are nothing but crap. Name brand stuff that used to be good are now made over seas. I have a garage and it's getting really hard to put a quality part on a customers vehicle that you can trust to last. Congrats on a job well done, now go out there and find your next project!

31chevymike and brEad like this.
  9. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Will a mechanical pump clear your motor mount? I used a Hurst mount and had to space the Hurst mount forward to clear the mechanical fuel pump.

10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man. Yes I agree I don’t ever cut corners on my cars. My Camaro is all top brand name stuff from the Moser rearend all the way to the front and the coupe build has been the same. I’ll talk to Edelbrock on Monday and see what they have to say. I have another pump coming which my local parts shop that I deal with will just give me to let me try and see if that makes it happy. Have dealt there for years and they stand behind everything for me no questions asked.

11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I fabbed my own mounts off of the Hurst design and I already have them spaced so yes I have the room to run a mechanical. Like I said if the replacement electric gives me any grief a mechanical is going on.

31chevymike likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve heard such a large number of people having issues with electric fuel pumps I just decided to go with the old school mechanical pump on my Yblock.

I know that all of the newer and modern cars have electric fuel pumps but I drove a lot of cars and trucks over my life lots of miles with mechanical fuel pumps.

I once took a flathead powered 32 Ford Sedan out for a test drive thinking about buying it, a few things made me decide not to buy it.

First, it was supposed to be an old build with lots of miles on it but it had a severe death wobble like you wouldn’t believe.

Next was the asking price which was too high.

The other thing was the electric fuel pump that quit in the middle of the test drive making me have to call the owner to come retrieve me and the car :D

For me the mechanical fuel pump is a known performer and easily replaced if needed.

13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I like my hub caps... Ford Deluxe
    IMG_6683.JPG

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy that tread while it lasts ya hoodlum...:D...actually right now it looks a bit like Showroom Hotrod...;)...not that there's anything wrong with that...heres another description...Spiffy

Hey its on Terra Firma!!!...Caps look Awesome too...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Chatted with the guy that handles all the performance parts at Lordco today where i buy all my stuff about the edelbrock pump and he told me he has returned every one of that model that he has sold in the last three years! If i only new that before i walked out with one! ha ha Needless to say i walked out with a Holley today. I already have an external regulator on the parts shelf at home anyways so will throw that in and see if the fuel system is a little happier. Funny you grow to trust a long time name like Eddy but obviously this pump is getting built by someone else then a sticker goes on it. If i'm not happy with the Holley then a mechanical is going on and that will be that! Because our cars sit so long, I like the electric for startup in the spring. We shall see...

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Put the Holley pump in and works perfect. Looks like I just had a dud in the Eddy pump. Got all of the gremlins with the wiring sorted out over the last few days so happy I can move forward. Had to play with the horn kit for a while before I could get the horn ring happy with the newer column. One thing I can say is you can always learn new stuff even when you’ve wrenched for most of your life. Definitely learned some good electrical trouble shooting for the few things I chased! Took a few more pics of the car with the Camaro out of the shop. I can just stare at her all day! Gonna be a long winter waiting to get behind the wheel!
    IMG_6700.JPG IMG_6701.JPG

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Job Fitness...;)...Get it plated and insured now...its yearly insurance anyway and get her out for the cooler summer and fall cruising...Obviously there's more to do but damn it really looks pretty much there. What are you running for side view mirrors?

wackdaddy and Dino 64 like this.
  18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  19. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

we don't need no stinking waiting here ... get it on the road!!

Dino 64 and Stogy like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

All the peer pressure! I’m doing my best boys! All about hours in the day

brEad, Blue One and Stogy like this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

One of these on drivers side only. I may add one on the passenger side if I find I need it.
    IMG_6704.JPG

22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

God bless the fall! Wife’s homemade apple pie and fresh whip cream!! I can feel the pounds going on already! Just has to share!
    IMG_6705.JPG

23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

No wonder it’s not on the road yet !

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yup can’t turn down a slap o pie and fresh cream!!! Mmmm

31chevymike and Dino 64 like this.
  25. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Ok ok...pie is done....now roll yourself under the damn car and finish her up!! :D:cool:

26. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Speaking of waiting i don't recall seeing any recent pics of your build come my way....

31chevymike and wackdaddy like this.
  27. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Stop trying to change the topic from the fact you’re now overweight and can’t fit under the car anymore. What’s left? I’m sure a maiden cruise is just around the corner and doesn’t have to wait till spring.

31chevymike and wackdaddy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's edible pie...and there's flingin' pie...oh and theres cow pie...:D