Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pontiac 389 transmission options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ab_51Ford, Aug 25, 2018.

1. I had a 57 GMC bellhousing but I didn't use it. Instead I found a buddy parting out a 59 ambulance and used all the manual trans bellhousing, flywheel etc etc.
    As has been mentioned, none of the 55-60 stick stuff will work behind a 65 engine.....stick with 65-79 B.O.P. [Buick, Olds, Pontiac] bellhousings.....not sure on interchange of 65 and later starters, flywheels, clutch forks etc.

2. Yes and some Olds and Buicks used them also. However it actually isn't a Ford trans. It is a Warner Gear trans. Mostly used in Fords. Pictured is BOP alum bell that I have. Notice the dual trans pattern on the rear of the bell. 8 drilled and tapped holes.There is the usual GM pattern like Muncie & Saginaw ect. pontiac alum bell 001.JPG pontiac alum bell 002.JPG pontiac alum bell 003.JPG have and the Ford type pattern. Also has bump outs for the starter on both sides.

3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I have a bellhousing exactly like that out of a 69 GTO.

4. '64 A body (Tempest/GTO) used a block mounted starter, big cars had bellhousing mounted starters. Blocks especially service engines could be drilled . As stated before, all 1965's used a block mounted starter.

Black Panther and Gman0046 like this.
  5. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

The A body w the block mounted starter vs the full size B body w the bellhousing mounted starter is correct for 1964.
    However, on another (all Pontiac) site, the consensus is that all ( w possibly a very few exceptions) 1964 blocks were drilled & tapped for the block mounted starter regardless of whether used in the A or B body cars.

6. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

FYI, here are some pics of the 58-60 Pontiac bell housing (528820) just for reference. b-h casting no & date.jpg b-h engine side.jpg b-h trans side.jpg

Old wolf likes this.
  7. big john d

big john d
    from ma

hot rod magazine muscle car review from july 99 has an article on 66 gto with three on the tree a one year deal

Elcohaulic and Atwater Mike like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I also have that aluminum BOP bell housing. Interesting thing is the left AND right ports for starter: Either side.
    A counter man at a Jeep recycler told me the bell housing was used in Jeeps, with the Warner Gear transmission, hence the optional 'Ford' pattern.
    Mine was in my '27 roadster, joining my 455 Olds to my heavy duty Ford 3 speed top loader: Jeep T150 shift tower and tall cane shifter. All a simple bolt deal.

sko_ford and Old wolf like this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to get my hands on one of those optional starter bellhousings. Every car I build has a starter, steering box and header taking up the same space, moving the starter would help a bunch.

-Abone.

10. That aluminum bell won't let you attach a starter to it. The hump is for clearance only. It probably was Buick part # as well. Pontiac and Olds's starter is on the left. No stick shift modern Caddys.

Old wolf likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right you are, Mark Yac! As the starter on the 455 Olds was on the left side, (block mounted!) my steering box got moved 'up and back'. ('cowl steering', '65 Mopar box with extended sector) ...and yes, the bell is a 'B-O-P' part, being Buick, Olds, Pont.

scofflaw and Old wolf like this.
  13. Catalina65

Catalina65
    from California

Munci 4 speed would be neat. 389 is an excellent engine with a TON of low end torque. I’ve got 3 65’s. Also putting a 1959 Pontiac 389 in a 30 roadster.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic likes this.
  14. Koz

Koz

I'm doing almost the same thing. I just turned the front bearing retainer to GM spec. and drilled one extra hole in a GM 'bell. This puts the Ford 3.03 toploader three spd. behind my Pontiac. Also using the Jeep top and a '48 pickup shift lever grafted to the Jeep guts. I need to warp the shifter but will do it after I'm sure it ends up where I want it before chrome. (Ask me how I know). There are two flavors of the 3.03 Tremec box, RAT and RAN, the RAT being the stronger. The ratios are about the same as an early Ford box and they shift oh so nice with the Jeep top. I haven't broken one yet. I usually lock the case down and mill the side shift bosses off, tap the bores to accept 3/8 plugs. 012.jpg 013.jpg

don colaps and bchctybob like this.
  15. Wrench97

Wrench97

To note 1964 GTO, Lemans and Tempest V8's used the starter bolted to the block, the full size cars used a starter bolted to the bell housing.

16. Wrench97

Wrench97

The GMC SM319 was an option in 64 and the Tremec 160T in 65 not very popular but an option as was the 326ci engine, I had one in a 64 and originally thought somebody stuck in there but no it was factory.

17. v8flat44

v8flat44

I saw a 65 2-2 with a three speed on the floor & the guy LOVED it....got to be one out there .02 cents

Elcohaulic likes this.
  18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TKO-600 behind mine. Fits great, overdrive works bitchn'.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

ffr1222k and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  19. Koz

Koz

I've noticed through several of the above posts the approval of three speed boxes. I will add that in my opinion, the 3 spds. just are more fun in a light rod. No idea why.

Elcohaulic likes this.