Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. glrbird

glrbird

The old Mags were self generating spark, right, You could spin one on the bench and make a spark. I don't understand what DOM said about the speed at which you spin the engine. should spark at any speed. Am I missing something?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes and no..Yes it will spark on the bench..But remember its got to spark 8 times a revolution [4 at the crank]..Parts too small to generate a hot spark, like in a lawn mower engine and the spark has to overcome compression so there is the no..Generally spark plug gap is reduced for starting; which to me negates the hotter spark at high rpm....

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, mags generate spark when spun and not grounded. Mag is cranking half engine speed. So pretty common process starting high compression engine, or one with a slow crank speed, is to get the engine cranking over good before turning on the mag.

ottoman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. rlsteel

rlsteel

Hidden MSD 6 -al-2 use one set of points to trip the MSD, problem solved

5. squirrel

squirrel

I guess some guys haven't figured out yet that I am not putting an electronic ignition in the car.

Sent from my Trimline

6. Mags and points distributors worked in the 60s. Give jim some time to sort it out. The cars only been out for a little over a week. I have all the confidence in the world he will figure it out.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do they rebuild the mags with better magnets now days?

enloe likes this.
  8. The upgrade on a mag is to put permanent earth magnets in it. The regular magnets loose power over time. A mag can usually be hopped up a little bit more with today's parts. Mag tech in indy does mine.

9. I understand Jim’s desire to leave the electronics off this car....I still have points in an off topic big block Chrysler and had to try to explain to someone the other day why I didn’t want to “upgrade “ to electronic ignition. As I said before, I have no doubt this thing will be an animal when it’s sorted out. I’m not sure if most people understand what was accomplished here. From building a car of this level in 9 months to completing drag week as the shakedown. And running in the tens on a completely untested combo. Can’t wait to see this car evolve!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

j-jock, brad2v, OahuEli and 9 others like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Are the ignition requirements really thar much more than the Chevy II?

chryslerfan55 and ClayMart like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think it's just new car bugs that Jim hasn't had time to work out yet. Remember, he just basically finished the car days before he left for drag week, with only very limited run time. I still think it's impressive it ran as good as it did considering all the factors against it and him. Jim will get it worked out, I'm confident in that.

12. squirrel

squirrel

When I get the injection system on it, might need hotter spark. But it also needs a mag for aesthetic reasons.

Sent from my Trimline

13. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Jim, I saw plan 2 at the Goodguys show in Scottsdale last year, any plans on bringing almost funny to the November show?

14. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have the patience of Job; great week and well done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  15. 4tford

4tford

Points can cause the issue you are talking about. Even dual points can bounce and cause issues. The mag ideal sounds like a good ideal.

16. My friend, you're not gonna win this one LOL
    But don't worry about Jim. He's having a ball, doing what he loves to do.
    I think he said one time, that he doesn't much care for drag racing after about 1970.
    (Myself, I worry about what's allowed in my class, and what the guy in the other lane's got,..but that's just me.)

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have been buying older points on eBay, yard sales, or wherever they can be found. Since I have found some real nice vintage points, my car has never ran better. I tried electronic ignition, stranded me twice. Just Squirrel, I prefer points also in my 1960's Plymouth.

PS-Only once I had trouble with points, and with my ol ladies nail file, and a match book, I was back up and running...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. glrbird

glrbird

Yes, otherwise you can’t say “change the pill and bump the Mag”

19. squirrel

squirrel

This is the HAMB, after all.

Sent from my Trimline

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It appears that many people need to sharpen their reading comprehension skills!

ratrodrodder, brad2v, raven and 7 others like this.
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I don't recall any high 8 second cars that could be driven thousands of miles on pump gas and points (or a mag, for that matter). ;) I know you'll figure it out!

chryslerfan55, drdave and enloe like this.
  22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'd go mag then, it's impossible to buy a good set of points now. Everything is china crap.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

There are two parts to the puzzle. I did make the drive. I just haven't made a good pass down the strip.

Sent from my Trimline

kiwijeff, TFoch, j-jock and 10 others like this.
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Get a Jungle Pam too. Also mainly for aesthetic reasons but handy for parallel parking, getting out of tickets etc..

25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Relatively easy to build a HAMB friendly car, finding a HAMB friendly Jungle Pam might be a bit more difficult. Might need a somewhat later model. Jungle Pam, while still probably really a live wire sort of gal is not quite the show stopper she was 50 years ago. Haha, I look a bit different after 50 years myself. Spousal approval may be difficult too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You forgot "tip the can"!

27. squirrel

squirrel

the tip the can thing will take a while.

28. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Jim,
    Congrats on finishing Drag Week without tearing anything up. A bit of a bummer that you couldn't get it dialed in and make it perform like you know it can. But, you deserve a big pat on the back. What a huge accomplishment to get this thing put together in the time frame that you did and then head out and thrash on it.

Thanks for the ride

Bobby

29. Jim, like many I've watched from day one, and I would venture you may get some argument from the peanut gallery on this opinion " I did make the drive. I just haven't made a good pass down the strip."
    Thanks again for taking us all along on a great mental journey. Be sure to add a link here when you start the hearse thread, please.

Willy_P, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

This car is soooo cooool in person.

cactus1, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.