Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Desert car what is it, can I register it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bisblue, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bisblue

Bisblue

Hey folks my first part, sorry if it is in the wrong place. On the way to elk hunt with a buddy in the middle of nowhere Nevada, we crashed on a dirt road late one night. Woke up to find this but had to get going.
    Anyone know what it is?
    What nightmare would it be to get a title in Nevada? It's abandoned on Bureau of Land Management property, so public lands.

Dreaming of a bullet hole ridden rat rod for my wife!
    Still had all the gauges etc.... Pink and white color scheme.
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Attached Files:

34 GAZ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Looking at my books, 1959 Rambler. I don't know how possessive BLM is about junk found on their lands.

NV title is another question. The Reno motor vehicle registration appears to be a tight operation. I towed a used travel trailer thru the inspection line (I was giving it to a son). My off-topic, Cummins diesel powered, 1986 Ford F150 raised an immediate alarm from the emissions inspector in the adjacent bay - "Diesels did not come in 1/2 ton trucks!!!". I replied that I am driving the truck back to Arizona and the truck had a diesel fuel entry on the Arizona registration.

Possibly move it to your land and go through the process to get an abandoned vehicle title. Again, AZ is different than NV. Sometimes small towns are easier than the big cities.

chryslerfan55 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Adam....looks about a 1958 Rambler wagon. On craigslist I've seen cherry ones, not running for about $1500. If you want bullet holes...shoot a nicer car. Would be easier in the long run. Someone else will chime in the legality/title issue..

Tim, rc57, badvolvo and 11 others like this.

4. Whatever you do, do NOT try to make a gasser out of it.

deucemac, zzford, blowby and 7 others like this.
  5. Message to all pistol packin' hamb members . If you see that car keep shootin'.

Clay Belt, Woogeroo, chopped and 11 others like this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator

You cannot remove that car without applying for a permit with the BLM. Otherwise if your caught,fine and possible jail time!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Bisblue

Bisblue

Thanks everyone,
    More curiosity and day dreaming than anything else.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Leave the rats on the desert.

9. That thing is haunted. The people who drove it out there died and are still wandering around searching for the light.

chryslerfan55 and 62rebel like this.
  10. Bisblue

Bisblue

Yeah I like em too, I actually have a job where I spend tons of time in remote parts of the desert and see lots of vehicles.

Just curious what would be the process if I found something epic.

11. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Bisblue, welcome to the Hamb.

As you’ve figured out, the appeal of this car is transitory. It seems evocative in the desert light, but that feeling will already be fading as it’s loaded onto a trailer. By the time you get it home, it will be a pile of scrap iron that evokes nothing but a feeling of “what was I thinking?” Leave it to rest where it is.

Nevertheless, this car spoke you to. So much so that you sought out the Hamb, created a new account, and initiated a discussion thread about the car. Don’t be in a hurry to brush off that feeling--I suggest you look into it further.

Check out the longroof thread at https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/alllllll-the-longroofs-lets-see-em-boys.2240/.

Also along similar lines, sedan deliveries and panel trucks:https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-picture-thread.1079062/page-12#post-12677409

If these vehicles appeal to you, start watching the classifieds for something long on looks and short on bullet holes.

As for titling, it was a relativley straightforward process for me to title a "found" car. But I'm in Washington. Every state is different, so you really need to check locally. Should be on their website.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If someone "had to" make something out of that, a roadster tub like deal out of the rear quarters and doors might be an option as well??? photoshop? roadster? elky? since the top is so bad?...just dreamin here too, thats a lot of what the hobby is about.
    upload_2018-9-16_12-14-57.jpeg

Attached Files:

Bruce Fischer and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

14. It looks like it would be easier to resuscitate the previous owners than that car.

Clay Belt, 54vicky, zzford and 5 others like this.
  15. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I’d buy some bullet hole decals and slap them on the wife’s current ride to see how see likes it first.

54vicky, RMR&C, slv63 and 8 others like this.
  16. Bisblue

Bisblue

Thanks,
    I really want a wagon at some point, and it looked cool. Just got the ideas flowing over the week of backpacking, while sitting and hiking for hours looking for elk. Dreams of grandeur... or rusty grandeur at least.

slv63 likes this.
  17. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

That is one friggin ugly station wagon. What were you smokin'

Clay Belt, 54vicky, 40FORDPU and 3 others like this.
  18. Bisblue

Bisblue

The wife is the one who wanted it most

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Only good rat is a dead rat, that looks like a early Leavitrite.......

54vicky likes this.
  20. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember how hard it was to bring home a rusted out hulk from the middle of nowhere with no suspension under it. No fun at all. Also, this car is an orphan make with most of the parts missing or damaged. Walk away from it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Pull the grill, steering wheel and the gauges, sell on ebay, buy beer, dream on.

54vicky, R A Wrench, InstantT and 3 others like this.
  22. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Youv'e got a great photo, enlarge it to poster size,hang it on the wall and leave it at that.;)

blowby and raven like this.
  23. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Belongs to Clark and Ellen Griswold - car died on the way to Wally World back in the 80's...

True story! :p

zzford and raven like this.
  24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thanks to OahuEli in the photoshop thread, heres some potential for that style of car.
    upload_2018-9-16_17-56-46.jpeg

kidcampbell71, rc57, 54vicky and 3 others like this.
  25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

So , what happened to Joe Dirts parents ? and why paint the bomb before dumping it ? Questions questions questions . Hhmmm .

26. Just because you could doesn't mean you should.

Is this your first pre '65 car? First project car? Have any experience with engine, transmission, suspension/steering or wiring? If the answers are in this order yes/yes/no you are way over your head with this type of project. Not to mention the parts issue. In reference to what Black Panther said about $1500, you would probably spend that much in glass and rubber window channels for that car.

Watch the classifieds here, Craigslist,message boards in grocery stores, you get the idea. Find something that is driveable if this is your first go around,skills can be learned. As much as I say "Everyone is an expert on the Internet" YouTube is a good reference library. This forum also has lots of people with experience you can tap into.

Above all, big projects have a way of never getting finished especially if your experience level is on the lower side. I can talk, I have a project that has been dormant since 2012, lot of factors, friend that was working with me passed, I started on the road selling performance parts during the car season from 2011 through 2014, finally retired last year. Been trying to get everything caught up around home since, finally getting a handle on it. I'm just now getting back into the car, the Rebel Wire harness just arrived, need to get a carb kit next.

Enjoy the car, just don't make it a job.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  27. I like it. Not sure how the windows would roll up but it's still pretty cool looking

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Yes you can, be creative. but I would not tell anybody you are messing around with a Rambler wagon.....

29. zzford

zzford

Rumor has it, the Rambler belonged to the Donner Party.

54vicky likes this.