Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Mike

Mike

They tore down Moe Allen? Damn.

Developers pandering to the soulless hipster numbskulls. I hate it.

els likes this.

2. How cool! That is the first time I have heard Beeline Radio spots since the late 1970s! I remember them in my head like it was yesterday. There were so many different ones, they were updated as needed per events but, always had that same background and, I think, the same voices! If I could ever afford radio spots for my "Phoenix Drag Reunion", I would do them that exact same way! hmmm
    Anyway, we pay tribute to the old strips of the Phoenix area as well as the racers and hot rodders who made it happen. The next Reunion is November 9-10 at Wild Horse Pass. Please support me and attend, it is very expensive to put on and host.

els and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. As mentioned in the last paragraph, well known ex native Allen "Lefty" Mudersbach was killed qualifying at Irwindale earlier that month. Many have heard his name in the last few seconds of The Steve Miller Band song "Living in the U.S.A" from 1968.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, agree with your comment on the Steve Miller record but, did you know that drag cut off of that song is off of another LP? It is called "Big Sounds of the Drags" and was put out in 61 or 62. It is a good LP to have in any hot rodders collection

els, landseaandair and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yep, seems like their tearing everything in Central Phoenix down for condos and coffee shops. One of these days I've got to go down and see what little was saved of the Stewart Motors building. They probably knocked down 75 percent of it.

els likes this.
  5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'll be there. Last one I went to after work midday and still found a few things in the swap. Missed seeing the Whine Maker burnout. Glad all they did was kiss the wall.

els likes this.
  6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Moxley Tires decal that was on Ebay a while back. Wasn't able to get it but saved a pic.

s-l1600 (19).jpg

els and AHotRod like this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Could have sworn I posted this before but guess not.

Carl Grimes images I did link to a while back http://www.deansgarage.com/2011/carl-grimes-wild-wagon/ and here's some views of where a few of the images from one of his shops looks like today.

4405 N. 7 St. Phx.
    grimesfiat33.jpg

Even looks like same utility box on back of gas station. Screenshot (52).png

Screenshot (51).png

Market next door.
    grimesfiat21.jpg

Bet the glass block is still under one of those banners.
    Screenshot (53).png

Another angle. Note glass block windows on building caddy corner behind his bus/car hauler.
    grimesgarage02 (1).jpg

Screenshot (54).png

This one taken near shop opening looking west towards 7 St. at back of gas station.
    grimesfiat30.jpg

Not sure where the other shop was but some pics taken at his home at 4326 N. 25 St. Phx. House demoed about 13 or so years ago.

els, Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  8. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

ROGER GAIL.jpg Given to me by a friend yesterday

els and Stogy like this.
  9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  10. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

My friends mom and dad owned Sharps Catering, and this is a chit from that time period, they did a lot of catering at the old drag strips.

els and landseaandair like this.
  11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I saw this sticker on an early Barracuda? for sale at a swap meet and posted it back in 2013.

0701120505_0001.jpg

And here's an unused original. Guessing early-mid 70s?

DSCN9707.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Also got this program from The 3rd Annual State Championship Auto Show put on by Gene Winfield. Pretty sure it was April 5-7, 1968 at the Fairgrounds.

001.jpg 016.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a great walk back through time ….

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Saw this on YouTube, cuts off about the 11 minute mark.

Bit more here starting after around 28 min. 40 seconds.

16. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Reading the car show entry I saw some familiar names. 101 Clifford (Cliff) Semmel, 108 Amies Webster & 116 Richard (Dick) Furney. They are members of Arizona Street Rod Association.

The club had not formed yet, that would be in 1972. I saw Amies at our club meeting 2 weeks ago. Sadly Cliff & Dick are no longer with us.

els, LuckySumbich and landseaandair like this.
  17. LuckySumbich

LuckySumbich
    from Mesa, AZ

My Dad was good friends with Tooter, helped out at his shop for a while and even built some of his own projects with his help, my Dad and Tooter had a couple F100s and some other rods that tore up the town in their day. My Dad and I haven’t seen him in a while, probably about 10 years or so, we’ve seen his boy Andy a few times since though. Would like to catch up with him again sometime soon.

18. badgermt

badgermt

I used to walk by Carl's place several times a day, first as a grade schooler (attending Longview) in an apartment building several lots away from the market next door (known then as Carolyn Place Market) and second, as a high school student walking to Central High. Next to the gas station, on Seventh Street and just a bit north, was an ice cream/burger place the name of which I don't recall. All good memories!

19. mopacltd

mopacltd

Phoenix has no resemblance to what it was even 25 years ago when I moved here.

els likes this.
  20. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I found a 1960 directory listing for Catering Ice Cream Co. at 4407 N 7th St.

els likes this.
  21. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Some slides that just ended on ebay. Says dated 1955 and must be Perryville. Were listed individually and I got outbid on the first two so these are just copied and pasted from the auction.

s-l1600 (49).jpg s-l1600 (50).jpg s-l1600 (51).jpg s-l1600 (52).jpg s-l1600 (53).jpg s-l1600 (54).jpg s-l1600 (55).jpg

300racr, Bowtie Coupe and Sky Six like this.
  22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Bowtie Coupe, 300racr and kaspar like this.
  25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Dang guess it's been over a year this threads been sitting neglected. Got a few things I could add stashed here and there once I dig them out and get motivated. Did get a pic of Ronnie Olmstead's old Playboys plaque he let go along with the pics of the clubs Henry J drag car need louvers added back in post #622. They now hang in the Haifley Bros. shop.

20200808_154821.jpg

Bowtie Coupe and nitrobrother like this.
  26. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Born in Phx in 1948....was an avid street racer from 1964 on..I remember all the speed shops listed...knew Joe Rundell through a mutual friend. His start was in speed parts was using a display counted at the back of a grocery store on Main street in Tempe. He later moved to his own place on the border of Mesa/Tempe. Used to spend every Friday and Saturday night cruising Central Ave. and going to Bob's Big Boy to see the other hot rodders. Here's a picture of my car then, all done by me with no garage. image (1).png

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Johnny Loper's Little Hoss.... johhnny loper 1.jpg

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Awesome!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice pic. You might have seen back in post #430 that I found the Wheelie bar off Little Hoss Too in a scrap bin at another car guy's house.

30. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

O.k., here's a couple more items. Mel Larson Enterprises printing press blocks. Sorry only "ink" I have is blue Dykem.

DSCN0013 (2).JPG
    PRESENTED BY MEL LARSON ENTERPRISES

DSCN0010 (2).JPG
    MEL LARSON ENTERPRISES
    713 WEST MARYLAND
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    AM 5-4228

PUBLICITY
    ALWAYS A NEW, FRESH APPROACH TO REACH THE PUBLIC

PROMOTIONS
    SPORTS, BUSINESS, MUSIC, PERSONS, PLACES OR EVENTS

nitrobrother likes this.