Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. catdad49

catdad49

What a Trip this has been! From stocker to altered wheelbase, huffed Hemi Beast in a abnormally short period of time. Add to that, towing over 1800 miles to the starting point, driving over a 1000 miles in less than ideal conditions and then blasting down the strip for five days straight. Phew, I'm spent just from writing/thinking about it. What an adventure, Thanks for sharing it with all of us! Oh wait, I forgot the return trip. Have a Safe Journey Home, Carp

2. noboD

noboD

Jim, your adventure is why I follow the HAMB as I do. This car was thought out and built in flash time and stayed together. Goes to show what kind of mechanic Squirrel is. Hope you had fun because I sure did following your build.

3. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Great job Squirrel! Your imagination and creativity along with getting it done is awesome. Thanks for sharing your build details and adventures with us. I know a lot of us will be looking towards future ones. Have safe travels back home and keep us all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

CudaChick1968 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks again. We're kicking around ideas on the drive home. I think this time is when most of the great stupid Drag Week ideas happen.

Sent from my Trimline

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Next year will be even farther east for you, Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey. Waiting on the fun to begin again!

chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I fully expect that Jim and Dan will have a detailed plan by the time they get to the Arizona border,

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  7. Jim, A mag would be cool, and fit in with your vibe. Don't they make a mag looking electronic thing?
    Probably too high zoot an item for you , huh?
    How about this ?
    One set of points. Keep the second set and condenser for spares. Hide an MSD under the seat or somewhere like that. If it craps out , jump it out, stick the condenser in, and drive on just the coil? We won't tell anyone .

Congrats on making the full trip, with nothing falling off (that we know of ;-)) What I like to see. Done right..the first time..Except I'm a lot slower than you are. LOL

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't they make a mag looking electronic thing?

Yes they do Mark and it's a POS.

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There is nothing wrong with running a straight Vertex mag as long as you don't have a radio LOL. Seriously those make believe mags are for posers, I actually thought of using one in my MG it would have been easier but after I had my original tach restored and the sending unit rebuilt by the guy in OK it has been trouble free (now don't jinx me I'm racing next weekend). You did good Jim.

Pat

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those dummy mags have the same reputation as most of the Hoffman Groups' parts.
    A friend of mine bought a 32 3W years ago, it had one of those "mag look" distributors.
    It quit and left him stranded on the hiway the second time he drove it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Król

Król

Been following this tread, awesome! Hats off to you Jim, great job.

12. Denny, I didn't expect they would be any good on their own. I was thinking maybe Jim could use the mag pickup in it or something and still retain the 60s look that way. I don't even know if they have mag pickups in them.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Real mags have points

Sent from my Trimline

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

great job jim! were all ready for next year! im sure you could use alittle nap!:cool::p:rolleyes:

squirrel likes this.
  15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm a big fan of the Real thing, I ran one trouble free on the street Daily driver blown SBC, I will never build anything without a mag., There pretty cheap if you look, Never spent more than 300., An have bought nine of them over the years, My deal was, I have a allenyzer distributor machine, An would spin them an find the advance curve, Or if it was locked, Which at that time I could sell with info... Now anything but a Chevy Will obviously be more money, but magsrus has base's, an the mag part interchanges ..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  16. Ha..I'm sure they do. Just trying to think of something retro looking that would trigger a modern multi -spark deal.

I see you cringing here ;)

17. squirrel

squirrel

That stuff is fine, for another car. Not this one.

Sent from my Trimline

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You could find some good parts for your point distributor and wire the point separate so you could shut of one set for some retard in high gear or when the boost gets up.

19. Stick to your guns Jim. It will work out.;)

20. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The more electronics you put on something, the more of a chance it's not going to work. I design and test software for a living, but for my projects, I like things that are mechanical.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Why not just put a Petronix or whatever the name is, kit in that dist and make it electronic. Nobody would know and it'd be reliable.

22. Hey, they've got a two day deal at Tucson ,Oct 20, 21.
    We've got out Stock /SS association double header, plus American Dragcar and who knows what else. Maybe Friday night too?
    Might be a

chryslerfan55 and porkshop like this.
  23. I'm thinking a small crack in the rotor. Had a 68 Barracuda and it only broke up in the upper RPM's. Turned out to be the rotor. Kind of proud of myself for remembering something from 41 years ago !

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Friend of mine, Dog Patch on the HAMB runs a 467cid early hemi NA on mech. Enderle injectors
    in SEGA. He started out running a Vertex mag but found that if your battery and starter weren't hot enough to really spin hell outta the engine, the mag didn't generate enough spark to fire the engine and he would have to get pulled off to fire it up. Once it started everything was fine as long as you kept the plug gap down around .018-.020".Since the SEGA rules allow electronic ignition as long as it doesn't show, so he decided it wasn't worth the fight.

jim snow, chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Not being a wise ass, But had he tried spinning it over before flipping the Mag.?(run position)

26. squirrel

squirrel

I just don't want electronics in the car. They made it work 50 years ago, I can make it work today.

Sent from my Trimline

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Never discussed that with him, but that is a technique I have used in the past myself.

28. I like the attitude, I feel the same way.
    Bob

Doctorterry likes this.
  29. DenK

DenK

l
    Could not get the mag timed on a Chevy. The man at
    Magsareus found the cam was for a left turning boat
    engine. He tuned that mag for a half inch spark at idle
    on every cylinder. Impressive. Ran great.

30. White Noise

White Noise

My 65 Nova (White Noise) had bone jarring death wobble issue. Adjusted toe in 1/8-1/4; fail. 1/8 - 1/4 out; fail. .01/.01 as close to zero as possible, swapped bias ply 6.40 x 15 with 185/70R/15 radials, added hubcentric rings 82.8mm to 64.1mm to American Racing wheels and finally added steering dampener/stabilizer from Moog MOG-SSD13. Positive Castor is 11.4. Perfect. Also, the Moog stabilizer is black, slender, lightweight and simple to install.