Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wide steel rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Art Center Dropout, Sep 8, 2018.

1. I want to run 16" rims on my roadster. I have a set of 40-48 Ford rims. I want the rear rims to be about 7" wide. My thought is to find a wider 16" rim that will fit my 40-48 centers. Does anyone have knowledge of the make and model rim I should try to find?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

there have been some threads on this subject......one recently as I recall....do a search here and it/they should show up. Also, measure the inside of your Ford rim diameter, where the center section seats, and go to a salvage yard and measure some wheels....you'll like find a match. Lots of 16's on SUVs and pickups....some mat be furriners, but so what.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Used to split the Ford hoops and weld in a spacer, go as wide as you wanted.

j-jock and Unkl Ian like this.
  4. Weld in a spacer strip.
    Done.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do it the hard way if you like.....there are better (read 'easier and more accurate') ways to do it. Changing the 'hoop' to a ready made one of the desired dimension trumps all that cutting, shaping, welding and grinding...IMO, of course

Ray

tubman, oj, Texas Webb and 1 other person like this.
  6. Thanks Guys, I will do a search,did one a year or so ago and didn't turn anything up. As for adding widening strips, we used to do that in 60' and 70's. I had the ralley wheels on the rear of my 67 Camaro widened for a wider tire. Actually the steel company that I worked for supplied rings to a local guy,but he is deceased and I can't find anyone here. I will also search for SUV wheels although I guess most are aluminum now. You know I have some nearly new steel rims that I bought for my wife's old Rodeo. Guess I need to check the lawn building. Dog gone getting old is fun.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Not sure where at this time, but look around. I know you can buy (one piece) "rims" of different widths, and weld your existing centers into most any given rim width you want, with most any offset you want. There used to be a shop here just out side of Los Angeles that is all they did, build custom wheels to fit the customers cars. Over the years, I had three full sets and one pair of 10" Corvette wheels for the back of my 60 El Camino. They got a pair of their 10" wide rims and welded in the Corvette center to fit the big wheels under the back fenders of my car. Stock 8" up front.
    They also moved the 9" rim on my existing Bassett (old NASCAR wheel manufacturer) wheels to fit under the fenders of my lowered 61 Impala.
    Run by brothers, that I believe are both gone now.

Look around, someone's gotta still do that work.

Mike

8. I just built a set of 16x6 wheels using early ford centers. The centers were slightly too big in diameter to squeeze into the new hoops, so I pie cut the edges and pressed them in. Had a buddy true and weld them up for me (pie cuts were welded up too).
    IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4390.PNG
    IMG_4397.jpg
    IMG_4401.jpg

Buy wider hoops here: http://heywheel.com/

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  9. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

What could be more natural? Pie cut rims with pie crust tires!

D-Russ likes this.
  10. Collins Wheel in Bellflower, did the front wheels of my girls '60 Lark (bought the used rear wheels from them also). Going back there for the Hillman wheels next.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I built a set for my wide fives. I went to the junk yard and found a Dodge caravan wheel that worked in my case. You will have to find a rim for your application. IMG_2771.jpg IMG_2772.JPG IMG_2773.JPG

D-Russ, Max Gearhead and Hnstray like this.
  12. eberhama

eberhama

I read a tech on here many moons ago, to do just what D-russ did. They suggested using the garden variety "wagon" wheel steel wheels with the center cut out. They all seem to be based on the same size center regardless of rim size, width or offset. I did a set of 4 to get 2 pairs of 8" wide wheels. If I had it to do over, I'd just go buy the wheels from summit and not waste my time/energy.

D-Russ likes this.
  13. I strongly considered that route, but the only early Ford inner nub style 16 inch wheels Summit (and Wheel Vintiques) sell are of that horrible multi-lug pattern variety. And since I wasn't going to run caps, they just wouldn't do. They do sell single bolt pattern 15 inch wheels though, but they take the 10-1/8 outer nub caps.