Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Sorry to hear of a head gasket letting go, but Iknow you are prepared for such an event. Its wrench time on drag week. Good luck on day 3 Brian, Jim, and Joel. Hemi Joel, your car is really working out there. GO TEAM HAMB!

racer-x, blowby, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The fun begins. IMG_20180911_201629.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How much help from other racers are aloud?

4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Saltflats, I have the same question, but it don't matter IT WILL be ready in the morning if I know Brian. Good luck, and I still think it looks like a good time.
    Tony

chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wouldn't want to many cooks. ;)

Woogeroo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. There is no limit on helpers away from the track. We made it to Charlotte. We pulled up under the lighted over hang and got to work. In about 20 minutes the head was off. The cylinder and piston are ok. This cylinder was still firing. We have all the tools and supplies to fix it. The problem is the heads deck has some material removed from it. No amount of silicone will seal this up. Were done. We had the car set for some power. The mag had 42 degrees of lead. The nitro was 78 percent. When I went to the lanes I was told to go to lane 10 by the track personnel. As it turned out the unlimited cars were in lane 3. They prep the lanes every time for those cars. Lane 10 had the street cars. I sat in the car for over a hr and a half. The unlimited cars ran then the sun came out and the the track went away. 20180911_195004.jpg 20180911_193500.jpg

Attached Files:

7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Very sad - could you TIG fill that and file it back down? Or would that be too sketchy?

Stogy likes this.
  8. Well shit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That sucks! :(

Stogy likes this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Stogy likes this.
  11. Well of all the rotten luck. Ya go through all that time and effort, then Murphy’s law shows up. Drat and double drat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and racer-x like this.
  12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Damn brian I hate to see the destruction I've been following along and cheering you and all the other hambers on at least it's fixable maybe not tonight but it could be way worse keep your chin up you have accomplished a real big thing here

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  13. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Damn.
    Great meeting you in Atl. I'll be among the many following you overcome this next obstacle.

chryslerfan55, racer-x and Stogy like this.
  14. It's too much to file. The head is easily fixed. The o ring wire is removed first. The low spots welded. The head is decked a few thousandths. Last new receiver grooves cut. On a fuel car this is very minor. I knew something was wrong as I crossed the finish line and saw stuff hitting the windshield.
    When you set out on these adventures anything can go wrong. Either you accept this fact and go for it or you stay home and never experience living out your dreams. I dream big and it doesn't always work out. When it does it's all worth it.
    Coach Vince Lombardi had a great quote. A man is not judged for getting knocked down. It's how he gets back up.
    I already spoke to roger. The head will be fixed soon.

wingnutz, raven, Hombre and 22 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Main thing is yes...A Setback... @racer-x ...Intact...There will be a tomorrow...Soon...It's the passion. Good Job...glad your okay...Your discipline is exemplary...;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    racer-x, chryslerfan55 and Johnboy34 like this.
  16. Brian, you made a great showing and fantastic effort. Well, thats drag week, Drive, race, blow stuff up, and go fast while having a blast. :) Glad the damage is not that bad. Live to fight again.;)

racer-x, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Ive been wrong before, and since I am married I will be wrong again. I thought for sure that you would have it fixed this morning, but I also know how long it takes to het a head fixed that got wrecked. What caused the head to get eatin away like that, was it the Nitro, was it a spark ark, or just pressure? Good to see ya went after it again. Thanks for the show.

Mark and I have been talking about getting your old motor going for Dragweek next year, but I need some help on that part. I keep watching these adventures and I need to get going if im going to do it. Just have to set the goal and do it.
    Tony

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

soldier on, my friend

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It's a shame you can't get it fixed and back together and run the last day:(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Yah it would have been nice. I might run to Iowa Friday. The head could be fixed and everything back together this weekend. It will depend on if it needs to be welded.

loudbang, mad mikey, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well I was looking forward to hanging out but I guess I will have to annoy Jim instead...

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Well now.Ain`t that a kick in the head.At least Brian is ok.Things are easily fixed.People,not so much.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  23. Saxxon

Saxxon

To borrow a phrase from Mike Bilina
    "Amen Brother"

See you in Rock Falls

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Brian, meeting you and your ace partner in this adventure was great. And I'm sorry that you had such rotten luck after all the work and expense.
    Wondered why your run was so much later than the other unlimiteds, now I know, damn shame. But there's always next time;)

racer-x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. ironrodder

ironrodder

I know of aluminum heads cut all the way to the outside with a furrow you could pay a finger in, and repaired. Just goes to show the heat nitro can create. Sorry about the bad luck but look forward to the next act. Really one badass car and driver.

Stogy, enloe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  26. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

I was at Darlington and I too wondered about them bringing you up with no track prep like the unlimited cars.
    It was an honor to meet yourself and Jim.

Stogy, racer-x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Bummer. Are you driving the coupe back to Commerce?..bringing the rig to Charlotte? I always wondered about the logistics when stuff breaks.

mad mikey likes this.
  28. The damage was caused by steam. The gasket leaked causing communication between the water port and cylinder. There is no black death anywhere. In the future the water will be drained out prior to a run.

29. We drove the car to Charlotte. We had to stop several times to put more water in. After we saw the damage we decided to call it. A guy that took a liking to the car was following the whole week. He started to help us do some things at Darlington. So we put him to work. He was very excited to work on the car. When it couldn't be fixed he drove me back to Atlanta. There was supposed to be someone there to let me get my trailer out. With no way to get it out until the next morning I scooted under the fence and slept in the trailer. A hot shower ac and sleep felt good.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's a think'n man right there!