Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model A Sport Coupe- The Poor Man's Roadster?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Model A Sport Coupe- The Poor Man's Roadster?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Outback, A 2 B, Roger Loupias and 6 others like this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

There were some really great looking STREET RODS built from sport coupes in California in the '70s, but they were full-fendered and un-chopped. Trying to make a traditional hot rod using a sport coupe body would be a very difficult task if one is looking to end up with a graceful-appearing car. They were awkward from the get-go and there's just no way to slice them to make that situation any better.

From what I can tell, my coupester started life as a sport coupe but quickly devolved into a totally gutted topless shell that was used for bull ring dirt-track roadster racing before being scrapped. Some enterprising soul eventually salvaged what was left - the cowl, gutted tank, gutted doors, gutted quarters was all that remained - and put it onto a bent Model A frame to create the first iteration of many of this car's second life as a hot rod.

I'm probably the 10th owner of this combination of cast-off parts, not counting the folks who bought the car originally, some of whom were talented builders but most not so much. During my tenure I've done quite a lot of work to improve not only the workmanship (which was terrible!) but also the proportions to create what I consider an acceptable "coupester" version of the butt-ugly sport coupe. It still doesn't have the slinky lines of a real roadster, but I'm proud of it.

Coupester make-over 80.jpg

EVL401, WC145, Outback and 12 others like this.
  3. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Congratulations! It looks a fair sight better than most I have seen. Changing the windshield, tilting the posts and getting rid of the visor certainly go a long way in improving the looks.

missysdad1 likes this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Does anyone make the sheetmetal pieces or is it possible to make it into a normal coupe.

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

Thanks! I don't know exactly where Jive-Bomber wanted this thread to go and I certainly don't want to hijack it, but the things you've mentioned are not the way my car was built. I have seen some built that way and was not satisfied with the end result. Getting the body to be proportionally pleasing requires major surgery at the top of the cowl, doors and quarter panels to remove the excess visual vertical thickness that remains after the top is cut off. It also involves (as you mentioned) a change of windshield to one that's both wider and lower as well as leaned back from vertical. The in-front-of-deck-lid panel area also requires major changes which extend out into the quarter panels. And, as you might expect, there's a whole lot more that I've not mentioned.

I think this is why so many cut-off coupes get junked instead of finished. Guys just don't anticipate how much work is involved to to get the finished results they envision. There's one coupester that was really done right which has been shown here on the HAMB a number of times. I wish I could remember the name of the guy who built it - he posts here quite often but about other cars since his coupester was sold and is gone. If I remember I'll poke him and ask him to post some photos of it. In the meantime here's a good thread on coupsters in general...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/calling-all-coupesters-lets-see-em.945002/

Sorry, Jive-Bomber, if I took your thread in the wrong direction. Feel free to delete anything that doesn't fit your plan for this thread.

Outback, A 2 B and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Keeping the windows and top appeals to the practical side of me. The stubby, bantam-esque proportions don't immediately make you think "hot rod", though. But roadster or hard top, push the front axle and radiator out another 6" or more and drop in a 6 or even a straight 8, leave it alone from the cowl back and it's 90% done.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think you both are far too hard on Sport Coupes as traditional hot rods, I think they can look terrific!
    1928-ford-model-a-sport-coupe-traditional-hot-rod-255ci034-flathead-w-aod-trans-1.jpg 1928-ford-model-a-sport-coupe-traditional-hot-rod-255ci034-flathead-w-aod-trans-13.jpg 1931-ford-model-a-sport-coupe-street-rod-steel-bodythickstun-aluminum-intake-7.jpg 60586286-500-0.jpg 92161106_o.jpg aa7a22de648c41dd8d8e8dd54361c6b3.jpg ghjkll.jpg

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

Outback, Wurger, A 2 B and 1 other person like this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

I owned this one for a little while.
    29 sc more 019a.jpg

WC145, Outback, A 2 B and 4 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20180907_205824.jpg

I like Sport Coupes...
    a very unique body style...

They make great Hotrods. Like everything opinions vary...oh well...

This was made a work of art in my opinion and
    I credit the builder and second owner who made secondary mods for this vision in Hotrod.

Thanks @Jive-Bomber
    They hold their own
    and are leaving a mark...;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  11. brady1929

brady1929

^^^^^^^I love your sports coupe^^^^^^^^

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice A10.jpg

and one more...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

oops and one more...:D
    Hamber @nailheadroadster's Hotrod

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-tale-of-my-29.1114472/

I really think one should reconsider hacking the unique roofs of of these unique examples of Henry's styling
    the Special Coupes and Cabriolet...they really have a lot to offer...just an opinion...
    There are some fine examples of well enough left alone...around here...your call of course...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  14. nutrocker

nutrocker

Thanks Stogy for posting up my sport coupe.
    Here’s a few more pics.

A6F515D3-AA93-4FC5-86F1-BC5217C8199E.jpeg 4EEB83B9-E671-4BA2-9F5E-0D5B3845F4D3.jpeg 59B6BAD0-2FD1-4996-A2D8-785A781081A1.jpeg D51D17BA-043C-42C7-961F-8CCBC88EE5BF.jpeg

bondojunkie, WC145, Outback and 19 others like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I couldn't find a roadster anywhere near Santa Clara, CA. in 1955.
    My bud Jim Rose spotted a body in the field behind Lantz Lumber, whole body, top there, too.
    We walked over to Lantz, saw some guys eating lunch near the body's location...One guy spoke up, it was his...He'd take what I had ($3.00!) in my pocket for it, long as I'd have it gone before Monday morning...
    We got it home hand pushing my '36 Ford frame, started Saturday morning at 8: A.M., got it to Grandma's home garage by dark. (8: P.M.!)
    I channeled it over a $5 '32 frame, 'bulldog' front end, '37 Ford tube.
    Cabriolet got the door tops trimmed, looked like a long-door roadster with a solid windshield! (no visor, '30 Cabriolet was clean at the windshield frame.)
    106" wheelbase, flathead, '39 box. '32 rear, juice brakes all around. Long and low, clean.

WC145, Outback, Wurger and 6 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such a Rocking Hotrod and you really do have a blast with it priceless...
    that's what its all about...your welcome @nutrocker

Outback and nutrocker like this.
  17. I'll have to add a few more pics of the avatar. got paint, upholstery, made a removable roof and a tonneau cover.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I have to take issue with those that are bad-mouthing the 28/29 "A" Sport Coupe body as a basis for a fine hot rod.
    The red car was built by Wilson and Steeley Kustom Coachworks (Athol, Mass). The "23 jr" B/Roadster body was from a Sport Coupe body that I was building on Deuce rails, and loaned to Arnie Shuman ("Cool Cars & Square Roll Bars" author, with his brother Bernie) around 1962, used for one season with his Deuce running gear and Olds engine. (His '32 body, as I recall, was being cherried out, taking longer than expected!)

Attached Files:

EVL401, WC145, A 2 B and 4 others like this.
  19. Two of my favorites.
    DSC04257.JPG
    1923-model-a-sport-coupe-pinter-3.jpg
    1923-model-a-sport-coupe-pinter-left-profile.jpg

WC145, Outback, luckylou and 15 others like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike please share your pictures...you have had so many connections to this world of all things Hotrod we revere...your knowledge is book worthy...;)

Outback and A 2 B like this.
  21. chev34ute

chev34ute

I am looking into doing the pieces for such a conversion, the only problem is I am in Australia.

22. chev34ute

chev34ute

I should add that I have always had a soft spot for Model A sports Coupes, and along with Cabriolets, they are far better than thier roadster counterparts. With taller bodies, shorter quarter panels and longer doors, they have more room and offer better protection from the elements.

Stogy likes this.
  23. IronTrap

IronTrap

Make Sport Coupes Cool Again! This car hands-down made me want to build up the crappy sport coupe I drug home over the winter. Embrace what they are and restyle from there!

Summer0f58.jpg dick_preney_1.jpg DickPreneysroadster.jpg

EVL401, Tim, WC145 and 14 others like this.
  24. Jakes38

Jakes38

20180912_085210.jpg 20180901_133401.jpg Saw this little gem an the Ventura Nationals. The birds dug it too. Haha!

bondojunkie, WC145, A 2 B and 7 others like this.
  25. bct

bct

There is a really nice project for sale locally but the price just keeps going down . Takes a keen eye to make a hot rod . I like them stock.

56don and Stogy like this.
  26. no55mad

no55mad

Once a 28 Sport Coupe MarchMeet15 016.JPG

WC145, A 2 B, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  27. missysdad1

missysdad1

Cowl looks to be '30 - '31 roadster...which is the quick solution to making a sport coupe look better. Nice blend whomever built it.

Stogy likes this.
  28. no55mad

no55mad

MarchMeet15 012.JPG ^^^^^^Yes, it is a 30 roadster cowl with delux windshield. It was built in Michigan but builder doesn't get on the HAMB. Have had many positive comments on the quality of the build.

WC145, A 2 B, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20180914_144616.jpg

:rolleyes:...Period Pals...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    bondojunkie, WC145, Outback and 6 others like this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thank you, Stogy! I'm 75 now, still doing the same thing I always have.
    For the unwashed and/or 'yet-to-be-inhibited':
    The Model A Sport Coupe and the Cabriolet is the long-longed for "3 window Model A". Check out some of the examples here. Amazing more didn't snap to it.
    Some pics of mine? Well.......
    Long story short: My 1st wife was beautiful, but ignorant. Took everything literally, so a sense of humor was nil. She was hyper jealous, so when my got rod buds would pull up to Grandma's house (around '58, thru '62) she envied what we were doing...but lacked the commitment to undertake a car project, or even read up. She wanted to 'star' in the latest hot rod happenings!
    It finally 'jelled', and she collected all my pictures, some neatly in photo albums, others in drawers, some in my Mom's walk-in closet 'archives'. These were hastily stacked, and then burned in Grandma's huge living room hearth.
    My sister said "Big fire, wonder what Janet was burning..." SHIT!!!! All my pictures, my '36 top-chop in sequence, my '33 Plymouth roadster pics, from a body & frame up to a roller. My 'Cabriolet' pics, from the field on my '36 chassis...to on my '32 rails, an up from there. My '32 Five window, all the way up from 2 rails. More, too. My '56 Ford, and Fremont Drags...and ALL my baby pictures. 'Just jealous', the psychologist said.
    He later told me she was 'frightfully naive'.
    She admitted that he asked her 'what her sex drive was like'. She answered, "Oh, usually a ride to Stevens Creek Dam in Mike's '36..." She told me he chuckled. That pissed her off. I was surprised she didn't set fire to him.
    Anyhoo, that's why I don't post pics, they're gone. BUT!! My old friend Allen is retired in Oregon, and he found some of my old pictures! I have a new printer, my young wife says she can scan the pics and we can post them.
    I want to try, but the last time was unsuccessful.