Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 72? Holy chit.... !

When you get to Cali... Meet up with Chili Phil and other HAMBrs.

It's better than when I got to Cali not knowing anyone, freshly divorced, jobless, and broke... Perfect Trifecta of crap!

But after a couple of car and aircraft shows and races i connected with my kind of people and they steered me in the right direction for work and housing!

I stayed a couple of years and a couple of other home town buddies moved close by and hit their stride early because of my guidance and through connections Ive made Earning more than they could ever earn in the Midwest for similar positions. I moved on to Texas and my friends stayed in California and one recently retired at age 59 he rents out his beach house for obscene money and travels all over. The other sold his house in California and cleared almost a million and moved to New Mexico. But now he has family to visit in California and Wisconsin and is virtually living mortgage free with very little going to the government!

Yes California has changed but it's pretty much what you make it and it helps to have the HAMB network to guide you in the right direction.

Go West young man and prove the nay Sayers wrong!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. One last thing.....Don't call your new home "Cali"...…No one does that here...:cool:

lewk, wingnutz, czuch and 7 others like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There's no need to ask anyone and no need to go any further following that statement.
    It's very obvious that the spot you are rarely outdone is in you own mind. :D:D:D

lumpy 63, Blues4U, thirtytwo and 2 others like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Question for OP, Did you make the jump to follow your dreams ? Skimmed thread, did not see if you made the jump. Speaking as an Old Timer, some advice here good, some not so much IMO. Your life, your choices and where there's the will, the way will happen, again my Opinion. Never listen to the expert's, or negative people, do your research, be aware, be smart. Anyone/Everyone IMO should follow their dreams, Happy I did as I accomplished much in my life by going for it and now as a Old Timer, no regrets, the worse thing to be when you grow old is to be a "Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda" man. There are No excuses, Make it happen, best advice I ever got. Good Luck !

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

????

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cali is a fairly large city in Colombia.

wingnutz, Special Ed and Irish Mike like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try me.

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Actually some native Californians do refer to this place as Cali, I have heard it often...

Rarely if ever do I hear “hella” south of Bakersfield

Gimpy ...you act like this whole state is reflective of SF or your views ,I can assure you it’s not , you can split the state in 4 and still it wouldn’t reflect all the differences , micro economy, industry ( or lack of) housing , pricing and supply/demand ...ain’t nobody down here paying $30 for a mixed drink at the bar like I got hit in SF with !

Some of you guys have great stories of coming here in the 60s 70s 80s and doing great ,established yourselves ,and carved out a great life .... that’s awesome.... except it’s 2018 ....things have changed , all over the country ...but not more than California

My neighbor worked construction all his life , he came here when he was 18 from Yuma told me he was making 15 an hour in the 70s 30hr in the 80s and that wage for that work has pretty much remained the same to now , I don’t doubt this place was prosperous when you old timers came here, it’s not the place it once was...

And nobody at hotrods can afford eating at Stone for lunch... maybe RC

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Saw this today and thought it was appropriate for this thread. Not politics mind you, just further discussion on an issue already brought up in this thread, the mass exodus from the state. Note: 74% of millennial in the bay area are planning on moving out of state. 74%. And a quarter of those that are leaving make >$100k per year. That's a large tax base leaving the state. As we've seen here, many are indifferent to this, as if it's not a problem in itself, or indicative of larger problems.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2018/...tm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

Sky Six likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just the heavily populated areas. Out in the middle, and up North I can take a nap in the middle of a county road, without fear of getting run over. If there is not a critical mass of people there, the opinions simply don't register, anywhere. That's how Democracy works.

I kinda wish more people would move out. It would bring down real estate prices, so I can buy more. I have no argument, or problem with paying taxes.

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Have you lived anywhere in CA besides the Bay Area?

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truckee, Cirrus Heights, L.A. (Torrance/Carson).

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for overall taxes, for those still complaining about them:

upload_2018-9-10_22-17-15.png

You will note, that California is 8th. lowest in the US, and there ain't much of hot rod building market in 1 through 7.

Pennsylvania is either 10 or 9 from the top, depending on if you want to include D.C. in the count.

31hotrodguy and Special Ed like this.
  15. cretin

cretin

Can this fucking thread die already? Some people like California, some don't. Who gives a shit? The OP already got chased off. California is different than it used to be, I can't believe it! Places don't stay the same for decades?!
    Some people like and can handle it here, others can't, he has to figure it out for himself. Otherwise he'll always wonder. It's easy to move out of California, it's tough to move in. He's in the position to try, so let him try. Now let's move on from the useless California bashing, nobody here is changing their minds. LETS TALK ABOUT HOT RODS AND CUSTOMS NOW.

fauj, lumpy 63, wingnutz and 7 others like this.
  16. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

I was born and raised in Santa Monica, California. I moved to the broader horizons (cheaper housing and much more active job market) of Nevada many years ago. I still love Cali and make it a point to run down there each year to visit childhood friends. California's legislature is just way too crazy for me to ever live there again, though.

czuch and Irish Mike like this.
  17. I actually find this thread interesting, hearing about our state through a different prospective. If I see a thread I don't like, I just pass on it, why read it and complain how much you dislike the content? Will never figure this out....."this shit stinks"....continues smelling shit and complains it stinks....

18. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I shall remember that gem `til thine mortal coil doth cease.

czuch likes this.
  19. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

OUTSTANDING POST !!!!!

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nobody is forcing you to read and respond to this thread. There are hundreds of other threads you can participate in, or start one of your own. If this one bothers you, scroll past it. Why spend the time complaining here? Makes no sense....

31hotrodguy, Irish Mike and texasred like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

At the risk of getting into a back and forth argument and getting this thread shut down, I'd suggest you do a little more research on the subject. Here are some links from a google search for Overall Tax Burden by State. I didn't selectively choose links that disagreed with your information, this is just the order they came up. All of them show the complete opposite of the information you posted (which is without context or source info):

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/
    https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/110614/overall-tax-burden-state.asphttps://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg45ehhij/tax-burden-state-by-sta/#2bf2a8a33a67
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...americans-pay-least-and-most-taxes/350963002/
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/us-states-with-the-highest-tax-burdens.html
    https://www.thebalance.com/where-you-ll-pay-the-most-in-state-and-local-taxes-3193259
    https://taxfoundation.org/publications/state-local-tax-burden-rankings/

There is plenty more out there, easily found.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No argument. My data is correct, and backed by personal experience, on New England, Texas, and the Western US.

You Googled it.

I lived it.

BAD ROD and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. 34Larry

34Larry

Well I don't get it either. ??????????????????You'll recall perhaps, the go around earlier this summer concerning the pictures and posting of my Fords thread being deleted because it was not traditional. Well what the hell, at least it was about a vehicle, not about where some one should live, taxes, prices and the employment opportunities. Although this young man was seeking advice, this should have been stopped (6) pages back, using my experience as a gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mountainman2 and Sky Six like this.
  24. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Bull shit is "Traditional"

Irish Mike likes this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

All right fellas, lets get back to traditional hot rods and customs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.