Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ordering parts on line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 10, 2018.

1. I placed a order on line this morning to Bob Drake for a few interior pieces I need for my old deuce sedan in preparation for that long awaited interior, then went home did some work on the wagon getting it ready for the trip to Memphis.

About 5PM I got a call from a number I didn't recognize but answered it anyway and it was Heather from Bob Drakes and ask for me.

She ask me did I mean to order 6 packs of door & window crank pins and I said yes, then she ask me how many cars was I working on, I said just one.

She started laughing and then told me there are 10 pins per pack not one per pack like I thought and she doubted I needed 60 pins.

I just thought that was good of them to question something they saw as odd and go ahead and send what I ordered,she saved me some money especially when I didn't pay attention to the price or quantity, 50 bucks to be exact.

Have any of you guys screwed up a order? HRP

2. Yep. Somehow I ordered two 32 dash inserts with no gauge holes. Duh!

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I thought I ordered 4 wheels and when I got them I counted 5.
    I looked at my paper work and I did order 5 and no one called and ask me did I really want that many they did take it back but it cost me a restock fee.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Not long a go I ordered a water pump from speedway and it came in a box big enough for 4 water pumps. Opened it up it had a aluminum master cly along with my water pump so I called them. They thanked me for calling and sent a table for prepaid frt for the return.

Hnstray, 41rodderz and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. I may have had an order or two mixed up when they didn't understand my twisted logic and they weren't able to read my mind.
    I have noticed when surfing The Bay Of E, you have to read all the fine print when dealing with most of those offshore, slippery weasels who conveniently post misleading or bogus photos. *Grumph* :mad:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. But Danny, you could have been our source for door and window crank retaining pins for years to come.:D;)

7. Tried to order door handle pins, but they said they were all sold out to some guy from South Carolina.:confused::p

8. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I ordered 8 intake valve seals from Rock Auto thinking that I got a deal at 60 cents each (they were in the discontinued section). I got 8 packs of 8 and now have a lifetime supply.

9. You guys ain't right! :rolleyes:o_O HRP

ct1932ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I appreciate when a vendor gives great service. It makes you feel good about doing return business with those tyes of folks.

HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe he drops things and opening another packet is easier than looking for the lost pin. :rolleyes:

Bob

12. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Got my tires from Jegs about a month ago (Cokers) ordered 4 tires.
    First 1 showed up around 1:30 in the afternoon.
    Next one showed up about 2 hours later on a different truck.
    About 4 days later 3rd tire showed up around 4 p.m.
    3 days later final tire showed up.
    All different FedEx trucks and drivers!

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Maybe so, but we're not the ones that almost had retaining pins up the kazoo.:D:D:D

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Back in the early 90's I worked at a auto dealership in the parts dept. We were just changing from the old method of ordering parts to the new computerized system. I had about an hour of "training" when the parts mgr. went on vacation. I asked him if he would send in the weekly parts order before he left, he said for me to figure it out. When the order came in on Thursday I had done pretty well except for 1,000 spark plugs. I still think he done that to try and make me look bad. It took a batch of exlax laced brownies, used oil placed under his new Harley and a bunch of greased door handles to get a little bit even:p:p:p

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I thought they were funny Danny. :D
    Are you going to be evacuated with the approaching hurricane?
    Or are you out of reach for the worst of it?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. But I could have cornered the market on them and made huge profits selling them at a inflated price to Street Rodders. :D HRP

lothiandon1940, Blue One and Sky Six like this.
  17. Larry, you have to consider the source, I have a lot of respect for these guys and they both exhibit a warped sense of humor.

Yeah, they are funny.

As far as the hurricane, the Governor has issued a evacuation notice along the coast and after Tuesday all public schools along the coast will be closed until further notice,

The school buses will be to evacuate people that want to leave and go inland, how it effects us depends on the path it takes, we will get a lot wind and heavy rains and a chance of tornadoes & hail.

I'm keeping a close watch on the weather as we are planing on going to Memphis for the '54 Ford convention if we get a opening in the weather and can out run it. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  18. I'm guessing it's not all that uncommon for someone to order a matching spare with the other four...

Texas57, Tim and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Not my screwup, but a good one none the less. I went to my local small town, home grown NAPA store and ordered some exhaust hangers by their p/n. The old boy on the counter pulled up a picture on his computer, and said he would have to order them. Typical. Get me four.
    Two days later, 40 arrived. Seems he clicked on bulk pack (10) instead of each.
    Think they still have them.

20. Back in the 80s I went to the Ford dealership and ordered a set of head bolts that had the large head surface to put 351 Windsor heads on a 289/302 small block. When I went to pick them up there was a large box waiting for me . For some reason, don't know if it was me or them but they ordered about a dozen sets of head bolts. I explained that I only wanted enough for one engine. He said no problem, they would probably be able to sell the rest so I was off the hook.

21. Bill, next time you need a pair you won't have to order them. HRP

22. louisb

louisb

Mine usually involves ordering parts I have already bought but forgotten about. Which is why I am currently sitting on two complete sets of 40 front wheel bearings.

—louis

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

In all seriousness, I hope you and your family are out of danger and your property comes out all right. Best of luck to you and yours.

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I had Heather at Drakes help me out. Bought a set of .020 over pistons for my y block. When I checked one was undersize by quite a bit. Called Drakes and got Heather on the line and she sent out a good replacement the same day!

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad this happened to you. No offense meant but I thought I was the only one.

You wouldn't want to buy a water pump for a '54 Dodge 230 c.i. flat head 6, would you?

26. Binkman

Binkman

45 years ago when I was an apprentice heavy equipment mechanic I broke my hand at work.
    They put me in the parts room helping out on light duty for 3 months.
    One of my duties was parts requsitioning through out materials department.
    One of our shops needed some Brakleen so I placed an order for some.
    I thought I placed an order for 5 of the 5 gallon Brakleen drums, one for each shop.
    A week later a forklift shows up with my order, 55 5 gallon cans of Brakleen.
    Somehow I wrote the wrong amount down on the form.
    We had Brakleen in our shops for quite a few years after that.
    Everyone in the shops had some at home as well.
    I should have stashed a few more drums of it.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Ordered a bunch of stuff from Snyder’s for the A , but in the order I ordered two off something else . Had an email from Snyder’s before I logged off checking that the two odd parts were really wanted or did I want his suggestion for a model A part. I did want to odd parts but impressed they checked back with me.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. deucemac

deucemac

And then you have the know-it-all that orders things without any idea of what they are ordering. When I was 18 (just at the end of the dark ages) , I worked for a large computer manufacturer. We had 2 facilities, manufacturing and computer design and assembly. I was a receiving clerk and all deliveries came to us in manufacturing. Our interoffice mail man would make trips down to our building to pickup all the things for the other plant. One day I received 6 very large boxes from our stationary supplier, addressed to a woman in accounting. Leo the mailman shows up, takes one look at the packages and starts laughing. It seems that accounting lady didn't like Leo, so she took it upon herself to order some jumbo paper clips. She went around to all the people in her area and asked if they wanted a case of paper clips. She then made the order herself. Unfortunately, she didn't know the name and size of container paper clips came in. The order in size would be pack, box, and then case. That was why Leo couldn't stop laughing. It seems that she had ordered 144,000 jumbo paper clips. Thinking that the little box she wanted was called a case and not a pack. I offered to send back the order but Leo refused. He wanted to see her face when he delivered all 6 cases of jumbo paper clips and watch her reaction. Needless to say her explosion could be heard for a mile! They could have mailed packs of jumbo paper clips as Christmas giftts for decades and still not run out!that was over 50 years ago and I still laugh about it. I would expect if the lady is still alive, it ain't funny yet.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

I worked at EMD, it used to be the locomotive division of GM and for almost 20 of my 35 years there I ran the sintered metal department. One time we were developing a rather large new component to replace a forging, that was the main purpose for powder metal usage- press to near net shape and reduce both material and machining costs. We were pressing iron powder at 40 tons per square inch and the tooling was large and stout.
    The engineer on the job goes to the Purchasing Agent in charge of fasteners with a purchase order for one (1) 2”- 8 x 5” Allen head bolt and the PA says hey, this order is filled out wrong, you have to order a box lot per GM regulations.
    Uh, no I want one piece, read the size put on the P.O., Unbrako only has two on the shelf. If you can find a box of those anywhere on the planet I’ll kiss your freakin ass. He got his bolt.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, today I found the THIRD rear brake hose for my Mercury. If they hold up as well as the original, I have 120 years worth of backup on the.... well, somewhere out in the garage.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.