Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects (Sorta) New guy needs a hand!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Robertson, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Carb and Dis. labeled.jpg Hello all! I'm at my wits end and I'm hoping the Great Collective Knowledge here on the HAMB can help me out. For some context you'll want in a second, I only caught the Car Bug after I'd graduated from high school, so I never took auto/shop to get a base of knowledge to start from. Everything I know I taught myself, and it seems there are some gaps in my education.

I've been working on/rebuilding my Grandad's 58 Bel Air for nearly 2 years now, teaching myself as I go. I'm getting close to starting it- I've put the engine back together, I'm getting the accessories and top back on, but I've hit a snag.
    I've got the stock 283 with a stock 2 BBL Rochester Carb that I rebuilt, but I can't figure out what ports/lines fit where, exactly. I've got the fuel line from the pump going into the top of the float bowl and the heat rise choke tube goes into the choke assembly. But, I also have an approx. 1/4 inch copper line going into a port near the bottom of the float bowl that I can't identify. As I understand it it's either the Vacuum line or the Spark control line, but the issue only starts there. I cant find the 4th port for the life of me! There's a port on the throttle body, but along with being significantly larger than any pipes/tubes I have, it had a plug in it before I started the Carb rebuild.
    The only other thing I know is that the vacuum line (a rather short rubber hose) comes from the distributor, but I assume I'll have to replace that line because it doesn't seem to be able reach anything, so it doesn't help me.
    The Bel Air was parked in a field in Tennessee for 20+ years until my dad trailered it up to New Hampshire a few years back to store it in my (then our) garage hoping he'd have time to work on it. I only mention this because I'm wondering if my Grandfather had that port plugged because he didn't need it in the warmer climate, maybe? (I'm just spitballing, please do tell me I'm wrong if I am)

To summarize, I need help figuring out
    No. 1, where does the Copper line coming from under the float bowl on my 2 BBL go to,
    No. 2, where/how does my vaccum line connect to my carb from my distributor if it even does,
    No. 3, if I'm actually wrong on all counts, LOL.

Thank you to everyone in advance, any help is appreciated! Expect to see more posts/questions from me, I have a feeling these moments will be getting more common as I get closer to starting/running the car

I'll try and be available to respond to questions throughout the day, but if more pictures are needed I won't be able to upload them till later in the evening

Edit: Sorry, I thought I had linked some photos, I'll add them now

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics of motor & car

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 62 Impala also with a 2bbl and Powerglide. One vaccum port goes to the transmission modulator and one to the distributor. But I think on my stock 62 both the distributorand trans vacuum line go into the intake manifold right behind the carb in the carb base. Here is the best pic I could find...maybe you can zoom it a bit 1965 Buick Riviera 052.jpg

4. Thanks for the pic, but I can't quite make out what you mean. Is it mostly on the other side?

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lines attach to the back of the carb base. You can see the brass connector between the distributor and the carb.Sorry, I have no better pic right now...

6. So I may be missing a fitting? That's good to know, thanks! I'll look around to see if it got removed at some point.

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The should be a port, maybe a plugged on, on the back of your carb base. There could also be a plug to a port into the intake manifold, depends on the year. I just searched google and found this...
    https://goo.gl/images/rbZEd9

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The vacuum advance hooks to the steel line that comes out the passenger side of the carburetor.

'56 150 and Baumi like this.
  9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the dist vac goes to the car base on the front pass side... It´s been to long since I did my 62...

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have a '62 Motors manual? They have detailed pics of what you're looking for.

11. I don't have a steel line, do you mean the copper one?

No, I dont. I have a 58 shop manual, but it only has exploded, un-labeled pics

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yes the copper line (looks steel on my computer).
    My guess the distributor has been changed or the advance has been replaced.
    Factory may have had a hard line to the distributor from the carburetor.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I may add that the right rear carburetor stud that is missing may be a hollow stud so you can have a manifold vacuum source.

alanp561 likes this.