Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Model A Hot Rod Found! Weiand Hi Comp Head Dual Carbs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TimeWarpF100, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Going back to 1970-71. There was a private club near where I lived with rich folks from Illinois & Indiana who would stay here often in summer months. As a young kid would often see the out of state license plates. One day one of those people stopped by and said they were looking for a bit of yard cleanup. I ran in to house to ask my mom and she said NO! Do not know those people. 3 of my cousins did go. Later in the day when done raking leaves they came back saying the people were giving them cars! (long before we were old enough to get a drivers license) we were all approx same age.

Car 1 was a 1931 Model A Sedan still bone stock, Car 2 was a 1929 Model A Sedan with a high compression head and dual carbs! Vehicle 3 which I would have gotten was a 32 Roadster Pickup all stock. Sure enough the people dropped off the cars for them. Once cousin got Car 1 other 2 cousins who were brothers got the 1929 A Sedan.

The family said they were sorry I could not come but maybe next summer I could work and get the 32 Roadster pickup! Boy was I bummed at my mom for not letting me go.

Anyway this post is about the 1929 Model A Sedan. Both cousin brothers died one from a heart attack and other from a mining accident. (Other cousin with the '31 Sedan still has it in same shape he got it in, going to fix it up some day!) has not run since way back then around 1971.

Last week I got to see the '29 Sedan Exactly like it was way back in 1970-71. It was put in storage container in 1975 (always inside)

A brother of 2 who died now has taken over the car. Question is is there any value to the engine in car? What is something like this worth? I looked it over quite well and has a few bumps n bruises but only rust is on flat portion of running boards. Looks like it did oh so many years ago. Once again Its very unlikely anything will ever get done to it. I have always wanted to offer to buy it but there were sons and other people who had first dibs. Not a single other family member was interested. I suppose none knew it existed. I sure remembered it though! (The '31 was similar but green)

Pics to follow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

waxhead, Petejoe, Dyce and 5 others like this.
  2. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Another tidbit. Only the left front tire was low on air! All tires still hold air just fine. Car really has not been touched since it was built way back in 40's , 50's or 60's I do not recall but do remember there were few to no miles on car. It was last run in 1975 ish. When put into the container.

Deuces, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn that's cool...it' a surreal story in that this thing has been teasing you all these years...the whole darn package is worth something. I sincerely hope you get your hands on it...I guess it's kinda sorta in the family removed a little here and there...that may help a wee bit...:confused:...heck they let you see it...

Can't give an exact fair value...is it titled that will sure matter.

It looks to have a fancy distributor too. Geeze what a heartwrenching situation...it needs to be reborn to daylight with you behind the wheel...

Good luck I'm sure the fellas will help you ballpark a winning offer...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty fancy steering wheel on that as well what a treasure...I would love to see some more shots this may have a very special history in fact I would bank on it...perhaps the old folks that passed them on had a racing history with these vehicles or some connection to speed. Someone sure as heck did. Perhaps it was a moonshine sleeper...;)

Despite all these cool features just a quick buzz over to the place everyone hates there are several in very fair driveable condition for 6k to 12k

TimeWarpF100 likes this.

5. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Title can be important depending on were you live (as in many threads), if that's not a problem there's the question of what's seized and what's not. I'm going to go out on a limb and say $8000. It's a model A but with some interesting add ons.

TimeWarpF100 and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your absolutely right it's worth that in pain (mental stress) he has endured...;)...the other thing is make a fair offer they can't refuse get it and run...

@TimeWarpF100
    do you have any leads on the other gems that you had slip away?

Lastly Timewarp, is your Mom still with us? Please accept my condolences if not but this is an interesting story and I have a vision of you pulling in her driveway with it...or better yet taking her for a drive of reflection...

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt...want to hear some others views on this...;)

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody into period hopped up bangers?...:rolleyes:

Jet96 likes this.
  9. Lots of interesting stuff under that hood. V8 water pump, mallory dist, electric fuel pump, hyd. brakes, push button start, duel carbs and high compression head. Must be an early 50's build. Like the way it is all put together, today you would get yelled at for having all that clutter on the firewall. Just goes to show how it was really done.

I have no clue on price but I would like to know if the motor is froze or turns over before I'd make an offer.

10. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Thanks all for the replies!

I lost my dad to brain cancer in 1989. Lost Mom to brain cancer in 1999.
    My dads dream car was his 1934 5 Window Coupe. He had to sell when us kids came along. I had a 1934 3 window coupe I wanted to build with him but he was not feeling well and went into a old folks home. Never recovered.

I have tried to buy either of these Model A’s since back in 70’s. Trying to buy the ‘29 but slow approach. I moved away from area in 1983 for a year then went back to sell my garage & property 1984-85. Have not had much contact since as many of the cousins moved away.

Another big memory from back then was a 1955 Wards Pony Cycle dad bought in 1964. I still have it had planned on restoring it for my kids. Youngest one now out of school moving out of state in a couple weeks...

Don’t think I have many years left of building stuff but would be nice to finally get the Model A.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  11. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

There was a title years ago but now not sure. They did lose the keys. In quite dry storage and would think not seized but hard to know. I asked when there and it’s not been turned since 1975. Had not seen light of day since then.

Stogy likes this.
  12. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Early 50’s prob good guess as I know they had sat many years prior to 70-71.

I would not be surprised if there were still cars in barns at the club. It had gated security way back in early 70’s. No way were you getting in to that place without permission they were all gun totin’

Stogy likes this.
  13. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

They did talk racin’ back then but too long ago to remember details. I did like the steering wheel. Simply untouched since prob the 50’s.

I will prob send message to see if current person would sell. Nobody else seemed to care. Issue is don’t really have funds to buy right now. But will let them know interested.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fingers Crossed...;)...sorry about your parents...it would be a spiritual thing perhaps getting this vintage hop up.

I am surprised they didn't bump the wheels up to 35 wires...

Your no stranger here there are the banger clubs and threads and several members running them...

The Sedan would be great ride and it really is a solid project. Hamber Chris does a lot with old runners with lotsa elbow grease and they look pretty awesome. I'll bet it would clean up pretty nice.

I sincerely hope it lands in your driveway soon.

Perhaps you can get a guided tour of the camp without the gunpoint...;)

Anything vintage pic wise don't be shy...was your 34 an old Hotrod?

Look forward to more on your journey to ownership of this capsule...

TimeWarpF100 likes this.
  15. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Jet96, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

[​IMG]

I had a 1932 rumble seat hi-boy roadster too. Powered by a SOHC 427

And a ‘32 3 Window Coupe but it was not traditional at all.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Yes, there is interest in that engine setup! It is very cool.the Weiand model A heads are pretty cool and rare. With the head and distributor and Intake hop up, it makes me wonder what was done to the inside of the engine. I’m hoping to do something similar to my car

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

It was built for 1/4 mile passes as did not have a fan. Cousin welded the fan to water pump.

19. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Offered once again to buy it from cousin who has it now.
    It will rot another 40+ yrs with nothing done. Apparently does not want it to be put back on road... same with the other Coupe. It will sit for another 40 yrs too.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is disheartening...I continue to hope for this to turn around for you.

TimeWarpF100 likes this.
  21. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

One of those types than knows nothing will get done to car and chances of me getting it on road much better. Therefore simply don’t let me acquire it.

Another old neighbor has a 1970 440-6pak Challenger sitting in same spot since 1973-4. Said if sold to me he would be jealous of me driving it so therefore let it rot instead. Huge reason I moved away from area.

classiccarjack likes this.
  22. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Another yr of doing this stuff and will hang up toolbelt for good. Enough is enough. 45 yrs of 12-18 hour days 6 days per week with little to no pay. ... has taken its toll.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps this needs a third party intervention of sorts...just thinking out loud...are they aware of this thread...all kinds of things could be countering outcome...

One thing for sure angry won't help at all. We all know about forms of hoarding. Just watching the Pickers and getting a good dose of it.

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That's why I changed careers. About 6 years later the interest returned...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jorge cardozo and TimeWarpF100 like this.