Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2018 Banger Meet - 4 Cylinder Equinox***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 31, 2018.

1. callcoy

callcoy

Bonneville 2018

I mentioned in last months post the two records set by Bangers this year at Bonneville. Steve Straw the spark plug for the Nor-Cal group included in that groups newsletter via email the best speed realized by all bangers that made a pass. There were a total of 9 cars that made at least one pass, the first two listed were those that set records.

Creel & Kendall 163.422 V4/VGCC

Lattin & Stevens 94.222 V4/FBBCALT

Fast Four Special 110.108 V4F/FR

Neilson 174.647 V4/GL

Hopup & Lattin 90.421 V4F/STR

Steve Laugtug 118.907 V4F/FL

Lawson & Chenoweth 168.676 V4/GMR

Larry Madole 107.000 V4/GC

Kowalski Racing 89.945 V4F/VOT

V4 = Vintage 4 cyl any head
    V4F = Vintage 4 cyl flathead

The 7 listed that did not set a record does not mean that they didn't break a record but because of circumstances broke or could not back up a record run, if they exceeded a record.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Jet96, winduptoy and ROCKER77 like this.
  2. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Just wanted to check in, like hearing about Bonneville. On my bucket list
    Skip

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Larry is much better about posting pics than I am. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not being the brightest bulb in the box ……….. why is that a "special coupe"

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

A standard Coupe has top material all the way down to the belt line. the standards stop at the back on top about the same place as the seam on my car. Being a special coupe it has a lot more wood in it than a standard. I guess in 28 they built standards until late in the year then they only produced the special until sometime mid 29 then went back to the standard. Mine has a date of February 1929. They are unique and many people don't build them because of all the wood. The wood kit I got fit well but was $$$.

6. callcoy

callcoy

The Rest of the Story

After I posted the Bonneville results above, I wondered if I was remiss in recognizing a couple of Bangers for their contribution to the sport we appreciate. Or maybe I was remiss in forgetting that I had previously done this to some extent.

When I was a Trustee for the Model A Ford Foundation the builders of the Model A Museum, I like the other trustee's wanted the visiting public to totally experience what the Model A had and still offers to the public. We were displaying all things Model A, such as A engine driven Water pumps, Generating equipment, Marine engine conversions and even an Airplane powered by a Model A engine. And of course the vast array of the various Models of the cars. With my background involving race related subjects, I thought the Museum needed examples of the performance aspect of the Model A. So thinking that if I could collect enough performance equipment, I could then assemble an engine and put it on display.

I contacted my friend Jim Brierly and explained my quest, Jim warmed up to the idea and said he would donate a OHV head that was scrap and we were off and running. Two days later Jim called me back and said forget the head he wanted to put together the entire engine and donate it to the Museum.

Well I was on a roll, we now had a pledge of a OHV engine, lets see if we can put together a flathead, together they would make a greater presence on display. So I called my Nor-Cal FAST friend Steve Straw, mentioned what Jim was doing and that I would like to put together a Flathead for display. I told him that I needed a head, intake and headers donated if possible. Steve he would take care of the entire project and supply a complete engine just like Jim was doing. The Nor-Cal Fast members rallied and soon we had our Flathead display engine.

Well now we had two engines spread out over both ends of the state, now I had figure out how to get both to Michigan. Brierly to rescue, Jim said he would come up to the Auburn Hill Climb pickup the Flathead. He was going to Speedy Bills Speedster Meet and would take both engines up to the Muesum.

Now you know how and way we have those engines on display, these two guys made it possible. So please do me and our sport/hobby a favor, if you run into either or both of these guys, thank them for what they did.
    Thank You

Shutter Speed, Dannerr, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  7. brjnelson

brjnelson

I too am working towards the HillClimb, doing some tuning on the 81's, found that the power valves are too big, got 2 pair coming 2 day shipping, hope to tune this weekend and see you guys soon.

Binger likes this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See you at the Hill Climb

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff. Thank you and for the B'ville results. I caught the salt bug...Weighed my Roadster with interior, seats, folding chairs, drinking water, full tank of fuel, windshield, driver and passenger it weighs 1980 lbs. It needs a bunch of that stuff gone and a cage....just saying

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 and Hamtown Al like this.
  10. 97

Danger danger!!! It is a virus, not a bug,
    " Salt Fever ...NO KNOWN CURE"
    Actually it will evolve into "Landspeed Fever" in a very short time. :rolleyes:

Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was afraid of that.....one of the reasons I put it off so long....

Dannerr likes this.
  12. Holding off doesn't cure it, just prolongs the eventual demise.

I met an older fellow a few months ago who told me he went when he was 10 or 11 years old.
    Has never been back since but still wears the T shirts and follows it every year.

J

Shutter Speed, Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  13. callcoy

callcoy

Weight is not a real problem as it is in Drag Racing, location is most important if you have a lot of horse power or a handling problem. You might consider picking up a SCTA rule book and read up, lots of info in there.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent the $10 and got the rule book. Yes, horsepower and wind drag.....

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

*** thank you …….. steve

** just caught this (A standard Coupe has top material all the way down to the belt line)
    I believe you meant (a special Coupe has top material all the way down to the belt line)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Binger- we turn off past Rawlins, down through Saratoga etc, scenic route. Otherwise I would be happy to caravan with ya. I'm planning to drive my roadster down. (barring snow, of course..) See you there!

Binger and winduptoy like this.
  17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

19. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

CALLCOY- Thanks for the attaboy! It was a really l fun project and once again the Nor-Cal FAST guys really stepped up. We weren't about to let those so-cal hooligans have all the glory! If I live long enough I will get back to see it. We keep talking about a major guys tour including the Gilmore, Speedy Bill's, the Sprint Car Hall of Fame, etc. DON'T FORGET OUR AUBURN HILL CLIMB OCTOBER 6TH!!!!!!!!

surf10, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  20. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That’s great. Are you coming down with Joe and Rocky?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

^Yessir! I'll like to get the report on your engine.

22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Crazydaddyo- Jeez that's some candy right there^^^

23. Are those engine stand adapters stout enough to handle an OHV banger?

24. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

A7B37767-F6CA-4EE1-A00D-A3A56563CA9F.jpeg It lives! Nothing like cutting it close:)

25. 40 Olds

40 Olds

IMG_1126.JPG IMG_1129.JPG
    Thank you Callcoy, Jim & Steve! It's always a treat to see those engines on display! I'll be seeing them again this Saturday at the Model A Meet at the Gilmore

Shutter Speed, Jet96 and Dannerr like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

watch the rubber fuel lines . I had to go to braided steel lines to avoid melting . nice motor !

Jet96 and deuce295 like this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

great display steve

28. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

V4F- yeah those lines are just temps to get it running. The "rebuilt" 97's that I got with the manifold had tons of slop in the throttle shafts so I robbed the 94 setup off my flattie to make fire. I'll redo fuel lines and linkage tonight and make ready to head to HRHC Thurs am. It's reeally loud!

Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  29. Yeah! Those fuel lines need to be routed away from heat! However, solid (aluminum or steel) CANNOT be used in most aircraft applications because of the fatigue caused by constant vibration. I don't use solid fuel lines in my race cars either!

Dannerr likes this.
  30. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am getting ready for the Hill Climb too!! Only two more days of work this week! Driving my car up there on Thursday. I will post pictures of the journey!

Dannerr, winduptoy and Jet96 like this.