Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

For the record I’m not saying don’t come out here , you should ...as it seems you want it pretty bad... I moved everything lock stock and barrel... that was a mistake, going back I should of moved here as a working vacation only plan on 1 yr then addressing on yearly basis...
    I know exactly how the review and raise process works.. good luck with that one... don’t do salary!

Special Ed likes this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

This is the strangest train wreck I've ever seen..It jumps way off the tracks and then Damn! right back on the tracks o_O Some of the topics have gone well off the OP's post ... REALLY ? we are arguing on the original inhabitants of California ? Shit ..if fossils could talk.

BigDogSS, badvolvo and wingnutz like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gimpy, you must believe you're outdone in this debate,as you're just about the only participant asking for the thread to be closed.

Blue One and Blues4U like this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Yep cause this is what hot rodding is all about:confused: Give it a fucking rest.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry, I went back and deleted my part of that nonsense. I was just trying to clarify something that was posted that was inaccurate, but it was way off topic and would tend to get the thread closed. My apologies for being part of it.

I urge Gimpy to delete his posts too to clean it all up. Way off topic.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, when threads leave facts, and hurtle towards racism, I'd like to see them closed.

I am rarely outdone. Ask around.

7. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So "they" only count if you approve. Got it.

I'm out of this thread, the dog whistles are so loud my Lab is running around in circles.

8. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

What the hell is wrong with some of you.Trying to keep on topic is like herding cats.What was a well intended,feel good,I have a chance to build hot rods for a living and cross country move has now become burdensome unproductive.I'm done with this thread.

clunker, fauj, cretin and 2 others like this.
  9. HEMI - You will do well to follow your dreams wherever they may take you.
    Hot rodding knows no color. Sorry the racist shit landed on your thread.

10. Hey. There are some good shops here in the south looking for folks.
    We have sweet tea and good looking country women
    The cost of living is not crazy and ya can’t beat the BBQ

czuch and Tomincanada like this.
  11. Unfortunately stuff like this happens. If you are California dreaming I say go for it. You only get one trip through life. Enjoy the ride

BigDogSS likes this.
  12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I must have missed the racist comments when I got bored with the thread and jumped to the end after the 1st 5 pages. So here is my thoughts. I've lived in California all my life. I moved my family from L.A. to Bakersfield in 2004 after getting out of the service because I felt southern California was too expensive. My L.A. family makes fun of me for living in a "cow" town but here is the deal. I don't pay $2400 a month for a 1400sqft 60yr old home with no yard or driveway. I am only a few yrs older than you but with a career and family it would be financially unwise for me personally to make the move. Not to mention how much of my Hot Rod life I would have to give up. I would have to downsize considerably. However; with all that being said with your life circumstances as described in previous post if you can do a job you like, live with an off set income/cost of living and don't mind the hours spent in traffic because you are not trying to shuttle children around I say go for it! If anything it will make for a neat story in life! My advice keep about 6 months of living expenses set a side for a rainy day plus enough money to move home if things don't work out. That will take some of the stress off and make the whole experience that much more fun. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

fauj, Nitroholic and Tomincanada like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I personally know about half a dozen people all leaving or recently left the state, all very friendly people, good people, people that have lived here for decades and contributed to building this state. I suggest you have a rather limited exposure to people with opposing view points and you like to stay within an echo chamber where you only hear ideas that you agree with. It's a big state, with the most people of any state, there are many that don't agree with the current direction the state is headed. Many are trying to tell you something is wrong. Maybe it's time you pay attention.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Relax, threads go like this, you can't control them. You started a thread about packing up and moving to CA, people came on here to give you their thoughts on it and advice. Not everyone agreed with each other, and as usual, arguments ensued. It's not that big of a deal, if it was that out of line it would've been shut down or deleted. If you don't want peaches, don't shake the tree.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Don't sweat it, 1 guy used an ugly term for illegal immigrants from Mexico, that's it. There were no other racist comments.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  16. Hemiwheelstand......you asked about a specific area for a move to SoCal. Threads similar to these bring out opinions good and bad about our state.......it went to taxes/politics, traffic, high cost of living, low pay, people moving in/out.....my guess is to help you on what to expect. If you can't handle this thread, can you handle it here? I love it here.....some don't, it's not for everyone.....

czuch and Nitroholic like this.
  17. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Blues4U, you’re not being a nice person.

Special Ed likes this.
  18. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Blues4U, try harder to be a nicer person.o_O After years in the Corps, seeking asylum in Arizona, and a sheepskin from Cal, even I'm a nice guy.:rolleyes::D:)

fauj likes this.
  19. When I joined the USMC in 86' I came to the left coast and have been (reasonably) near it since. Not every place in California has high cost of living, generally speaking, the closer your are to water, the price goes up! No matter where you go, there will be people that hate everything, those people aren't worth the time it takes to hear them complain... They will never be happy.

One last thought, every job I have ever had expected some sacrifice, life got easier once I understood that. It could be taxes, location, people... but it was a sacrifice of some sorts.

Welcome to California HWS! Hope you make life-long friends and enjoy your time here.

czuch, BigDogSS, Irish Mike and 2 others like this.
  20. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

'86??? Try '68. :D
    Semper Fi.

21. Sky Six, thanks for reminding me that everyone is a 'boot' to someone! ;):rolleyes:

czuch, Sky Six and Special Ed like this.
  22. Special Ed

Special Ed

Just drove past Hot Rods and Custom Stuff within the past half hour, to take my significant other to her gig not far from there. We forgot to mention that one of the premier breweries anywhere in the country is within a mile of HRCS ... Stone Brewery. If you enjoy the taste of a frosty brew after work, served in an absolutely stunning location, you'll dig this place. ;)

23. Loved Stone Brewing... when I drank. The Smoked Porter was fantabulous! Food was decent... seemed they may have been trying too hard to be trendy IMO.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a saying here:

Q: What do you call a restaurant that isn't trendy (or really good)?

A: Out-of-business.

Irish Mike likes this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

NorCal! I plan leaving toes first

olscrounger and gimpyshotrods like this.
  26. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

So true, so true...
    At our last cruise, a SgtMaj from yesteryear was telling me what it was like in '57, when he went in.

31hotrodguy and fauj like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I went thru Parris Island in '57, platoon 90, after enlisting in the reserves in '55 while still in high school. so do I get the "salty"award?
    Nothing "bad" or "not nice about Blues4U, just an intelligent guy with a point of view different than yours, and willing to voice it.
    And as far as the brewery place goes, the OP said he doesn't drink. So irrelevant here.

czuch, Blues4U, Sky Six and 2 others like this.
  28. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I visited SanFran for 1 week in 1967 going to Nam. I say go or you will dream and wonder about it the rest of your life. Been in NC my whole life...………..Life has been good to me tho………...

Irish Mike likes this.
  29. Special Ed

Special Ed

Ummmmmm ... they serve non-alcoholic refreshments too. :rolleyes: Iced teas, soft drinks, specialty coffee drinks, and they have a superb menu. Have you been there? It's garden area is an award-winning, friggin' oasis ...
    Stone Brewery Beer Garden 8.jpg

kidcampbell71 and fauj like this.
  30. My hometown. A great place to live but not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.